Do you solo to avoid legal issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I solo for peace and quiet. No drills, no skills, no flashing lights, just tranquil and calming ocean.

I much prefer to dive solo.

When my sons are home we do dive-together-same ocean, same day. It seems to work for us.

That is an entirely needless worry for a non professional diver to harbor IMO. Not to redirect your question but I would be more interested in hearing about any example of a lawsuit initiated due to the failure of a dive buddy to provide proper assistance to another diver in need.

The Gabe Watson/David Swan cases involved either a plea of guilty or a guilty verdict as decided by a court of law.

I feel it is a mostly needless worry. If you're going to get into legal trouble because of what may happen to a buddy, you're going to get into it even if solo diving. Recall, David Swain was essentially solo diving. If a diver dies and there is evidence of foul play, and you have a motive without a good alibi, being solo is no help. However, a buddy could provide you with an alibi. That is, unless the buddy is the victim. However, even then, you can at least provide an explanation of what happened to cause the buddy to die.

There is a case out of Hawaii that I've discussed on SB, where a dive operator and DM were held liable for taking a diver on a dive that was beyond his skill level without assigning a buddy and some other things, in which the court commented about a buddy's responsibilities. However, the diver did not have a buddy, so its applicability as between buddies is questionable. I should note that what happened is so extremely irresponsible that I wholeheartedly endorse the verdict.

BTW: I rarely dive solo. I often have insta-buddies and they rarely are a problem. In fact, two insta-buddies with whom I was recently buddied both turned out to be instructors (who were not afraid to show the dive op their cards). Though they said nothing, I fear they were concerned about being saddled with me.

There is a case out of Hawaii that I've discussed on SB, where a dive operator and DM were held liable for taking a diver on a dive that was beyond his skill level without assigning a buddy and some other things, in which the court commented about a buddy's responsibilities. However, the diver did not have a buddy, so its applicability as between buddies is questionable. I should note that what happened is so extremely irresponsible that I wholeheartedly endorse the verdict.

I agree, those type of facts deserve legal redress. I see the same nonsense in snow skiing with yahoos taking novices down intermediate and expert slopes for a varitey of stupid reasons...

BTW: I rarely dive solo. I often have insta-buddies and they rarely are a problem. In fact, two insta-buddies with whom I was recently buddied both turned out to be instructors (who were not afraid to show the dive op their cards). Though they said nothing, I fear they were concerned about being saddled with me.

I rarely dive solo either as I am a social creature who likes to share experiences. When not diving private, local charters are always filled with good divers as the diving is relatively deep in the Palm Beaches...

Last edited:
My primary reason for solo diving has varied over time. Initially in the 60s it was because there were few if any divers around in Chicago (at least that I knew of). Later it was largely because during the summer months I was diving by myself since my students were out of school. When I started videotaping, it was because I didn't want another diver stirring up silt or getting in the way of my shot. An additional factor was the peace of mind of not having to worry about another diver's safety.

The issue of potential liability didn't really become a conscious factor until the late 90s for me. Personally I've never used a lawyer in my life... but I realize there are others who use them "frequently."

I dive solo when I:

1. Dive air past 130' with an untried buddy;
2. Dive air past 200';
3. Perform an activity that will require my attention to be focused off my buddy (u/w photography, welding, etc).

perhaps a little but not much. the courts in the future may change my opinion inon this.

i do it because i like it
i do it because i have no dive worthy water where i live and have to travel to get wet.
i like to pay more attention to my task at times than a buddy, making it not fair to the buddy
i only have my schedule to coordinate to make a trip work my job works me sat thru wed.
i like having the skills
i can get to more neet dive spots see above.

I solo because I love being on my own dive schedule, not having to worry about a buddy running off on me or going out of air, or getting bored/cold/whatever. I can also just sit and stare at the reef for minutes without getting hassled.

To put it simply, it frees my mind to enjoy the dive. And also practice skills I don't normally do with buddies, like SMB shoots.

Peace,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom