Do you solo to avoid legal issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you solo to avoid legal issues?

When I saw the title of this topic, I immediately envisioned throwing on scuba gear to escape after robbing a bank, stealing gold and jewels, State secrets, etc. :D

Silly me.

No, like most everyone, I solo just because it is relaxing......

"Honest, Officer, those shiney gold blocks were just dive weights.... really!" :wink:

Best wishes.

Right now our local lake is dark until 30' and vis is around 3-5'. I love the peace and quiet of going to the lake by myself, but the best part is under the water. It's dark, quiet, and peaceful. When I've had a stressful day, you can find me headed to the lake to unwind. There can be quite a few entanglement issues to include fishing line and tree branches (there is a sunken pecan forest), but I wear doubles, have 2 backup lights, extra mask in my pocket, several cutting tools, and if I'm by myself I also carry a 40 stage bottle with just air. (When I was diving a BC I would carry a 19 pony bottle.)

I mainly only dive Solo in caves. The types of dives that make solo the right choice due to visibility issues and possibility of siltout in small passages. I do enjoy the company of others when the setting is right and the plan works. Having a similar Sac rate and gear makes the dive enjoyable. I still like cave diving solo because it lets me go at my own pace and not worry about a buddy.

That is an entirely needless worry for a non professional diver to harbor IMO. Not to redirect your question but I would be more interested in hearing about any example of a lawsuit initiated due to the failure of a dive buddy to provide proper assistance to another diver in need.

I posted an article about a wife who tried suing her dead husbands buddy. So not entirely needless, bizarre as it may seem.

Hmm, I'll see if I can find the thread.

I gave a great deal of thought about lawsuits after I became a DM. I became solo certified this summer, so I wouldn't have to deal with insta-buddies if I go on a trip by myself. I had NOT thought about diving solo to avoid a possible lawsuit, but I think it's a pretty good reason.
From what I have read in the news, it's not the buddy who sues but their family.

I did some checking on the case Hockeynut posted. I've sent an e-mail to a friend who works for one of the involved law firms and hope to get some better information on it. However, according to what is online, the plaintiff's theory was that the defendant intentionally did something to the decedent's equipment to kill him and thereby keep him from telling anyone about an automobile accident about which the defendant confided to the plaintiff. In any event, this does not appear to be a "typical" buddy-is-injured-on-a-dive type case.

I have big concerns about liability because no insurance . I have been taking a limited number of friends diving on my boat for 15 years .This is gambling , a long time friend of mine was sued because of a claim he hurt his back on his boat . His insurance paid a claim so no new diver's on his boat without reference's . I have been diving solo for that reason and was into hunting . I feel bad for instructors they are double liable of being sued . I will look for insurance soon to cover my ass***set

Back
Top Bottom