Do you still log your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log all my dives, time in time out, starting psi ending psi, max depth, bottom time, and nitrogen levels at the end of each dive, water temp , location, and date

nope...
i used to keep a detailed spreadsheet that was simple to update and helpful for dm class. i've slacked for the last few years primarily because i haven't yet downloaded vista-compatible software for my computer. but i just saw the idea of using google maps to keep track of locations... that might get me to be more motivated to log them. it does help refresh memories.

I've got about 300 logged to date. I print out my own pages, and use waterproof paper, and custom formatting which lets me record exactly what I was wearing just by checking it off. It's a lifesaver when I'm trying to match a specific tank and undergarment to how much weight I need.

I started out logging dives in a notebook in part because I was told that some dive operations wanted to see a dive log. However, to date I have never been asked to show it. These days I do not even pack it. I do keep an electronic record of very basic dive information scattered around on different computer programs on different computers. Perhaps I should print out a copy of more recent dives & keep it with my c card.

I was wondering if there comes a time when you stop logging your dives and just dive? I only have 9 logged dives and can't wait to log my next dives.
My computer does most of the dive logging for me - I just have to transfer the info to my computer and add a few details.

I log - but it's mostly because I write. Whenever I take a trip, I take a rather thick "blank book" with me and by the end of the trip, it is filled up. I fill it up with my travel info (plans, itinerary, etc.), writing about the trip, writing about whatever thoughts I have in my head at the time - receipts, pictures, stamps and whatever else. Logging dives is just an extension of an activity that I essentially already do.

I log, but for the same reason as previously mentioned, it's part of the enjoyment to me to document what I saw, did, my profile, etc. Plus I've found that when you're bored, going over your dive log provides some entertainment. Oh yeah, when I need to remember what weight I used, etc. for a specific configuration, it makes life a lot easier than doing a weight check, coming back in and putting in more weight or taking it out, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom