Dodging aches and pains?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve had back pain intermittently since 20’s. Regular swimming is the best thing for my back, I swim very gently, with swim fins on, slow easy and graceful... you don’t thrash your joints like you do swimming without the fins, fewer kicks and the mild resistance tones muscles, and lots of dolphin undulating tones core, and the gills are happy, brain is peaceful, sleep is better. I’m amazed so many divers don’t swim. You can do it your whole life. I loved yoga for a while, but injured my shoulder, my back hurt, I started having a lot of hip pain too— yoga can be surprisingly dangerous. And don’t tell me my alignment sucked, I had a ton of classes and even worked in a yoga studio! Back to just swimming!

I have rotator cuff and some other aches and pain. My ortho guy says take vitamin I before I am active. If you take it afterwards you have already irritated and inflamed tissues. I find his advice helpful.

Ibuprofen?

I made up a plastic pipe with holes in it and and threaded rope through it with 4-5 loops - I lower into the water from the boat and then clip all my sidemount tank onto it- jump in water - gear up- or alternatively get someone to pass bottles to me

Heating pads, ice packs, regular chiro and a few drams of good scotch, or extra bourbon as required.

Stay away from bodily impacts and heavy lifting. This means (mostly) non contact hockey and LOB, boat and dock diving. No lugging of heavy gear very far or on un-even surfaces.

I have a neck and a knee issue (among others).

Knee involves a knarly strap-on brace for hockey and curling. Not an issue for diving since I no longer lug heavy gear very far and do not attempt surfy shore entries (give me a boat or a dock). I have a whole pile of special knee muscle exercises that I am supposed to do.

Neck issue involves heating pad sessions EVERY day. When I travel I have an extra 220v heating pad. Diving aggrivates my neck since I swivel my head all over the place looking at fish. Looking up is the worst.

Every dive trip requires a few extra post trip chiropractic sessions. And Scotch. Extra Scotch.

Ice packs jump in for specific trauma situations.

Gym ... minimum of four hours per week. Mixture of cardio and strength conditioning, both upper and lower. Finish up every workout with abs sets ... at 66 I'm probably in better shape than I was a decade ago. I still get the aches and pains, but they're more an annoyance than likely to stop me from doing outdoor activities.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My dive buddy in Bonaire washes all the gear well I make the beer run at night...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom