Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me, the analogy to LP is Costco.

Costco typically sells at less than retail prices.

They often are not authorized resellers of products they carry.

Their Costco warranty is typically better than the manufacturers warranty, especially on products that they are not authorized by the manufacturers to sell.

I like Costco, I know what to expect and know what I am dealing with in order to save money. And I have no idea how they get the products that they sell.

For me, the same holds true for LP.

amajamar

I e-mailed Dive Rite about a suspicious looking weight system Lesiure Pro was selling with the "Dive Rite" name on it and this was their response to if it was legit or not....

"No, it is not. Thanks for asking and thanks for bringing this to our
attention. Leisure Pro is not an authorized dealer of Dive Rite product
and any Dive Rite product that does carry our logo has been bought off the
gray market, typically when a dive shop enters bankruptcy.

We recommend to all of our customers to purchase from an authorized
dealer. This will ensure you are covered by our warranty and are receiving
current, latest model product from Dive Rite."

Bottom line, if you want the "real deal" buy from an authorized dealer. If you don't then buy whatever is the cheapest.

Andi311:
I e-mailed Dive Rite about a suspicious looking weight system Lesiure Pro was selling with the "Dive Rite" name on it and this was their response to if it was legit or not....

Bottom line, if you want the "real deal" buy from an authorized dealer. If you don't then buy whatever is the cheapest.

so just because you didn't buy a particular poduct from the manufacturer or an authorized dealer the item is a fake (i.e.- not legit) ????

-so all that stuff sold on ebay is fake
-anything you buy from joe or susie diver is fake
-what do you think the mfg is going to say? they are going to support/stand behind their authorised dealers regardless. If they were to say, ~'yep, that's the genuine thing, wow, you found it cheaper than our distributors'. That would put the hurt on the authorised dealers opening themselves up to a lawsuit at least.

this is a dead horse! buy from whom ever you want.
now if you find a dealer who's shafting everyone or selling bogus stuff (ie REALLY fake/copies) then thats when we need to be proactive and do something about it.

Red_5:
so just because you didn't buy a particular poduct from the manufacturer or an authorized dealer the item is a fake (i.e.- not legit) ????

-so all that stuff sold on ebay is fake
-anything you buy from joe or susie diver is fake
-what do you think the mfg is going to say? they are going to support/stand behind their authorised dealers regardless. If they were to say, ~'yep, that's the genuine thing, wow, you found it cheaper than our distributors'. That would put the hurt on the authorised dealers opening themselves up to a lawsuit at least.

this is a dead horse! buy from whom ever you want.
now if you find a dealer who's shafting everyone or selling bogus stuff (ie REALLY fake/copies) then thats when we need to be proactive and do something about it.

I wanted to know if it was a "fake" because 1) it didn't look like the current model (possibly it was an older model...giving the benefit of doubt) 2) I was buying a used item from an individual and didn't want to pay just below the new "legit" price when it is a grey market item.

What was suspicious about it? Did it look like it was just a cardboard cut out? Are you sure it said "Dive-rite"; maybe it was "dive-ritey" which is what LP makes in the back room using underpaid illegal aliens they abduct from Port Authority.

As long and as pointless as this thread is, they'll be another just like it next week. Something to look forward to!

Andi311:
I wanted to know if it was a "fake" because 1) it didn't look like the current model (possibly it was an older model...giving the benefit of doubt) 2) I was buying a used item from an individual and didn't want to pay just below the new "legit" price when it is a grey market item.

And if you read carefully you'll see that Dive Rite did not say it was a "fake" or anything other than genuine product, they said it was not "authorized" or covered under warranty, you are mixing apples and oranges.

Andi311:

Can you provide a link the "suspect item" on Leisure Pro's site?

frankc420:
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. There MAY be manufacturers out there that say, MAP is the BOTTOM LINE, you CANNOT sell below it. But for the most part, MAP is exactly what the name says, Minimum Advertised Price. Meaning, they cannot put it on the shelf or online with price lower than XX.XX.
Sorry, but this is not entirely true. SP and a few others set the minimum price that an authorized dealer may CHARGE for the item. Not just advertise. I ran a shop for a while, and can tell you this first hand.

And if you think they don't really care, just realize that SP buys from almost any web supplier that they can find to see if they can trace back the "grey market" and close the source.

Right, wrong? I won't argue that. But if your LDS can't work with you to match or compensate the difference (throw in a dive bag, air fills like mentioned above, etc.) they aren't trying.

I matched anything I could verify, once you included shipping. But for a few brands I had to work with discounting a package that had multiple brands in it. If I threw in a BCD from another brand with a SP reg, I could take more off of the BCD to make an overall good package. And believe me; LP isn't selling anything major for only $10 over cost. Your LDS can compete and still pay the bills. If they did, they'd make more over time.

Your LDS can do it, they just need to realize that they have more competition than they used to have. There was a time when all of the LDS owners said that catalogue sales would kill them all off. Hasn't happened yet.

Dinosaurs used to rule the earth, things change. If you don't change with them, you go the way of the dinosaur.

Steve

Well, like this matters at all, but the first is what the item for sell looked like... I was told it was Dive Rite and just an older model.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_961/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d582/DIV2109.html?Hit=1

DIV2109.jpg

This is the current one from Dive Rite
http://www.diverite.com/catalog/backplates/weight/t2128

104.jpg

Besides looking different, the difference was Leisure Pro said it was a "Dive-Rite"...notice the hyphen...ooooo so different. Oh and Leisure Pro put the picture upside down....lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom