Does my rig default me as a "Bad Buddy"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the second thread I have had this type of reaction to tonight.

Isn't the question asked in the subject line sort of like asking if your jeans make your ass look fat? If you have to ask, you already have a pretty good idea you have a fat ass.

Just sayin'

:D

I'm a solo diver and a poster boy for non-DIR diving. However, if I had a GF who dove, I'd get a long hose... or equip her with a pony.

Wow, this may be up there for the number of hijacks in one thread for only 6 pages.

To the OP's question: Several months ago I took a Stress and Rescue class with two others, a husband and wife. They both had Air2s and short hoses on their regulators. After several dozen rescues scenarios, it became apparent the short hose was a real problem. The husband and I have large shoulders, so trying to move together was quite difficult/interesting, and when performing shared air rescues with the wife, it was much too intimate. We had many opportunities to try different positions (let the comments begin :D), but none were satisfactory.

After the class, they were both decided to get longer hoses.

Third, bad things do happen to good people. I have personally never had an OOA (did have a HP hose go once -- damn that about made me deaf in my left ear!) but they do happen even people are not dumb and follow all their training. Burst disks can go. Neck o-rings can go. First stages can seize. Second stages can free flow. LP hoses can break. The yoke can break. Tank o-rings can go. Gauges can be faulty. You can end up with corrosion in tank that blocks the dip tube. Yes, if you treat your gear well and inspect it before each dive, you greatly improve your odds. But still Murphy can strike.

That's what your buddy is for.

If you manage to have some freak failure or just a "dumb" attack, your buddy has air for your to share. Unless your buddy was dumb too or you managed to lose him or you can't manage to maintain a reasonable buddy distance, in which case you're left with training and an Out of Air Ascent.

If you manage to run out of air, lose your buddy and forget your training, then you have a real problem.

Do you also believe that it is impossible to get DCS when diving within accepted NDL (and if hydrated and using the suggested ascent rates)?

I believe that all cases of DCS have a cause, even if the cause is not determined or apparent.

flots.

Last edited:
That's what your buddy is for.

If you manage to have some freak failure or just a "dumb" attack, your buddy has air for your to share. Unless your buddy was dumb too or you managed to lose him or you can't manage to maintain a reasonable buddy distance, in which case you're left with training and an Out of Air Ascent.

If you manage to run out of air, lose your buddy and forget your training, then you have a real problem.

I believe that all cases of DCS have a cause, even if the cause is not determined or apparent.

flots.

The sad thing about your attitude is that when you survive an attack of stupidity, you will quietly never mention it to anyone (provided you live to tell...). If you die I will feel terrible for you and out of respect for the dead, never say "well, that was a f***ing dumb way to die." I will regret for all my days not making some smart ass comment, but then I just don't believe in calling people dumb, whether they deserve it or not.

The sad thing about your attitude is that when you survive an attack of stupidity, you will quietly never mention it to anyone (provided you live to tell...).

Your point is what???

DCS has no cause based in biology or physics?

Running out of air is an unpreventable Act of God?

S*** happens and you can't do anything to prevent or handle it?

I have no idea where you're going with this.

If you die I will feel terrible for you and out of respect for the dead, never say " "well, that was a f***ing dumb way to die." I

If I die while diving from something stupid, I demand that you and everybody here tell every diver they know that flots was a dumb-ass and that nobody else should ever do whatever I did.

flots.

You should have an edit link on the original post so that you can edit out the pictures yourself.
Should be in the gray area right below your pictures :)

Personally I would say get an octopus OR put your primary on a long hose so that you can donate the primary and use the air2 as your own air supply should you need to donate.

There is routing options for long hoses that will make them very streamlined :wink:

As above - is a good option.

In an out of air situation having your buddy breathe through the air 2 and being that close to you has it's advantage and a sense of security, but it also has disadvantages to you if the individual were to end up being a crazy panic diver.

It really depends on what type of diving you do and what type of a buddy you have. If your girl is going to end up being you permanent buddy - get with the times and get an oct.

As explained by another poster, things change in a rescue scenario.

I ran out of air at 100 feet solo because I was too fixated on videoing a wreck and missed a reg swap. A piece of equipment (independent doubles) did make this just an inconvenience though and I didn't even stop shooting when it happened.

I don't think I'm stupid though. Just human.

I ran out of air at 100 feet solo because I was too fixated on videoing a wreck and missed a reg swap. A piece of equipment (independent doubles) did make this just an inconvenience though and I didn't even stop shooting when it happened.

I don't think I'm stupid though. Just human.

Hello DaleC,

May I rephrase what you wrote? You are not stupid, but you did a stupid thing. Is what I just wrote a possibility?

By breathing-out one set of your double rig, you lost your redundancy. Is that a wise thing to do when solo diving?

I am splitting hairs here.

Flotsam does have a philosophical point that should be understood. I don't think he was being rude about it.

markm

markm

I think I did a human thing. I occasionally do that so I try to retain some humility when judging the actions of others. People who throw out phrases like stupid are stroking their own egos more than offering anything constructive IMO.

We all make mistakes. I choose to exist in an environment that acknowledges them when they happen, encourages people to address them, and then to try again. Language like stupid or idiot doesn't fit into that paradigm.

I may curse myself out internally for being so stupid (which I did at the time) but if you do so, I'll just tune you out and any learning opportunity will be lost. Being a father I've learned that lesson the hard way.

I'm also a Physical Rehab Assist. and deal with humans trying and failing and trying again; and the negative self talk that goes along with it. Nothing good ever comes of that and I spend a bunch of time countering it.

I don't dwell on the failures except long enough to learn from them.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom