Does this tank look bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, an trained inspector can condemn a tank based on a failed visual.

Pass or fail: considering the original hydro year of that tank is 1970. I wouldn't buy it.

Actually, an trained inspector can condemn a tank based on a failed visual.

Are you certain of this? I know they can refuse to put a vip sticker on it but I don't believe they are allowed to destroy my tank or make it unfillable. PSI cert does not equal DOT cert.

A DOT hydro facility can, I believe, stamp out the numbers on a tank that fails hydro, but a PSI inspector? I don't know if I agree with you on that.

A steel tank made in 1970 is still new. :) There are steel tanks from the 50's that are still passing hydro. It's not at all unusual.

A steel tank made in 1970 is still new. :) There are steel tanks from the 50's that are still passing hydro. It's not at all unusual.

I understand, I'm just overly cautious I guess.

BTW A visual inspection can definitely condemn a tank if there is pitting or deep scratches on the inside, or if there are issues with the threads such as stripping or fracturing among other things.

I specifically asked that question during my PSI Inspector class and was told that I could absolutely condemn a tank and render it unusable based on a failed visual. It isn't common practice, but it is legal.

R

I'm not sure if I'd trust PSI on that issue--lots of people are told things that aren't true.

However, if the tank owner had signed a contract giving you permission, it's legal. I'm 100% certain of that.

If no contract was signed, the person could sue you for the value of the tank.

Heck, there have been people who have had their tanks rendered unusable by a hydro facility even when technically the tanks were good--the numbers worked out to "this tank passes!" but the hydro guy says "I wanted you to be safe so I failed it since it is old" and the guy demanded that the hydro place replace his tanks. (I read this on TDS, I want to say)

If a shop rendered a tank unusable and I thought it was ok, and I had not signed anything or agreed verbally that they could destroy it if it failed vip, I would sue them. If I agreed with them that the tank was unusable, I would sell it for scrap. I had an aluminum tank fail because of a small crack and they showed me the crack, but they did nothing to render the tank unusable.

Because there can be things that make a tank fail a vip that can be cleaned up, such as internal surface rust.

[edit] changed my wording around to be more specific. You can condemn a tank, but I do not believe a PSI inspector is allowed to render a tank unusable unless the owner of the tank signs a contract, as PSI is not a federal agency.

I'm with JahJah on that one. visual inspectors can only refuse to put a vip sticker on a tank. If they rendered it unusable then they could be arrested for destruction of private property.

The VIP has no legal status. The hydro is required for interstate commerce. This all is a subject that always gets an argument going. Nonetheless I would not really concern myself with the thoughts of most shop personal. As to wire brushing that little bit of rust--ho--hum. I would leave it alone for now. The inside is the critical area. I bet all it needs is a tumble.

The sad thing is that ignorant LDS are condemming tanks left and right that have decades of safe service left just because they are to lazy to learn proper procedures and educate themselves and due to there preference to sell you something new and they cannot and have NO LEGAL right to do so.

The LDS cannot---CANNOT condem your tank and if they do they owe you another. They can refuse to fill it, service it or put THEIR VIP sticker on it (which has no legal status) but that is all they can do.

Twenty bucks---big deal. The way you make an inspection light is to get one of those light ropes from Home Depot. Pitting rust on the walls is bad---rust on the bottom is not because it is so much thicker. Unless the rust is very bad or deep tumbling will remove it. There is one problem, some steel 72s had a epoxy or plastic liner. Rust under this liner can go undetected. Usually it will bubble the liner. If the liner is clean the tank is proably OK but I would generally avoid lined tanks because of the hassle of getting them VIPed and even hydroed.

The facts are that steel tanks--steel 72s included---could last several lifetimes of diving. Minor rust included.

N

If it were me & this was the size/material that I wanted, I would take a chance on it for $20. Heck the valve alone is worth close to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom