Doing Tech+Cave on a RB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc:
My recommendation to the OP is to take cavern/intro on OC, get trained and comfortable on a breather and after 100 or so CCR dives go for full cave training on your chosen unit. You will never look back.

Yes, but the original question was whether it was a good idea to go straight to an RB:

Lukas:
So, I was sort of thinking of skipping the whole doubles tech setup step for monetary reasons and go straight to a rebreather, then go on from there.

And, it certainly seemed like you were advocating such a move in your previous post, but I imagine that is a result of the tendancy of us all to make short responses to these threads (I read this now as you saying RBs are suited to cave diving, and not really in response to the original post):

wedivebc:
In reality RBs are very well suited to cave diving, they are used by many divers to push beyond the limits of OC dives and for the most part an experienced RB diver is no more task loaded than any other cave diver. As others have mentioned the GUE route may not be the way you ewant to go for this.
I suggest you ask this question on www.rebreatherworld.com where more actual rebreather cave divers frequent and less internet quarry commandos

dsteding:
Yes, but the original question was whether it was a good idea to go straight to an RB:

And, it certainly seemed like you were advocating such a move in your previous post, but I imagine that is a result of the tendancy of us all to make short responses to these threads (I read this now as you saying RBs are suited to cave diving, and not really in response to the original post):

And my recommendation to do cavern/intro on OC will allow the OP to get basic cave training without requiring the use of doubles. I do believe RBs are suited for cave diving and I also believe if your goal is to dive RB then doubles are an unnessasary step.

JeffG:
I hate to break it to you. But there is a good chance that someone on RB World is FOS as well.
Yes but it is easy to sort the wheat from the chaff over there:D

SparticleBrane:
He hasn't moved to doubles yet, from his post. Thus it's going to be a LONG time before he's an "experienced" RB diver. I just don't see the point in complicating the training.
I hauled a set of 120 doubles to the truck once and told myself if I ever need twins they'll have a rebreather in between. Simple as that. I never went to doubles. Why would I, I never intended to dive them. :no Am not sure where they have anything to do with rebreathers.

But I do agree that if you do anything on a rebreather other than dive it you should have collected some experience and be proficient in its operation. Like making pictures underwater. Before you significantly increase task loading (like taking a cave class) or venture into environs that more hostile than usual the rebreather operation should be second nature, including bailout skills. Same thing the other way around, if you're a shooter or caver, shooting or caving should be second nature before you switch to a RB. Once you do take a break from whatever you usually do, to proficient on the RB so you can do your dives safely.

Regarding bailout protocol for RB cave dives, that should be covered in the class. After all you're taking it to learn, not because you already know.

There have been endless debates about doing trimix or cave training on OC vs CC.
Either way you'll find pros and cons.

SparticleBrane:
He hasn't moved to doubles yet, from his post. Thus it's going to be a LONG time before he's an "experienced" RB diver. I just don't see the point in complicating the training.

Not sure I understand what you are saying... sounds something like - if you don't dive doubles before you start diving a RB, you'll need lots more (LONG) time before you are an "experienced" RB diver?

I'm not sure what you learn from diving doubles that helps you along the experience curve of a RB diver? Other than you're back won't hurt as much. I know it isn't buoyancy skills. How long did you dive doubles before moving to a RB? :20:

So is this a mute point? Is there an agency that will let you take your first rebreather class in a cave? I'd expect that you have to pass the RB class in "open water" before taking the cave course. Or is that what everyone is assuming and the discussion is that the minimum for the initial RB course is not enough to start a cave class on the unit?

In either case, I think learning cave on a RB is a good idea especially if you plan on using one as your primary dive gear, after you complete the RB class. Especially since I know there are instructors and agencies that support this route.

I would suggest you find a few instructors that will teach cave on a RB and ask them what is the prerequisite and what THEY recommend for RB experience before hand.

caveseeker7:
There have been endless debates about doing trimix or cave training on OC vs CC.
Either way you'll find pros and cons.

Agreed. Just ask the same question on rebreatherworld.com and thedecostop.com. :popcorn:

It seems to me like the cost wouldn't be all that different. You said you want to go with GUE training, and so I am assuming you would be using the RB80. If that is the case you need doubles anyway, just smaller and with different bands. The rb80 is drives off of gas from doubles so you need them anyway. You still need the two tanks, two regs, bp/w, doubles wing, ect... So if you went with doubles for several levels of training, you could put the rb80 bands on them and then use the rebreather. The only new purchase is the bands with room for the rebreather in between, soft manifold to allow room for the rebreather, and the rebreather. The only major purchase is the new rebreather. That said, if you want a CCR, I don't know if they require you to start with doubles for a basic tech class.

To get certified by GUE on the RB80 will take several years of OC work (in full sized doubles) before you can even touch this SCR unit.

webhead:
How long did you dive doubles before moving to a RB? :20:
Oh man...I shouldn't have wandered into the scary tech rebreather forums...let me go back to all the other Quarry Commandos™! :shakehead
Geez, you let someone recirculate their breathing media and they jump on a high horse like nobody's business.

SparticleBrane:
Oh man...I shouldn't have wandered into the scary tech rebreather forums...let me go back to all the other Quarry Commandos™! :shakehead
Geez, you let someone recirculate their breathing media and they jump on a high horse like nobody's business.

There is always room for discussion. :)

Cave CCR users got a whole lot of slamming during the mid, to late 90's. I was "shunned" without folks knowing what I was doing. I think these early experiences may have shaped perspectives. Consider it all healthy debate.

Having done both, I prefer a CCR for those longish dives where exploration is on the agenda. OC is terrific, and a simple way to start and build experience. You could also do the same on a CCR too. However, where exploration is involved having insurance is not a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom