Dominica Trip Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WTF do I know I only have 110 Dives logged in Dominica. I will say this the fact that all the big hotels and the **** hole known as Rosso are down south should be enough to go north. Diving wise we would go to Scotts head for a treat but It was more of an excuse to hit every rum shop on the way home.

Its Rosseau. Big hotels????????????????????????????????????????????? Are you sure you were in Dominica? What big hotels? Rosseau is a charming little town when the cruise ships are not in port. There was a terrific night dive called Pole to Pole up north but the Soufriere has much better reef.

Trip tip to Dominica???.........Hit the island completely rested up cuz you might(could) go 24/7 there......great little island to enjoy topside & below......

Allan and RescueDiver68, I don't suppose it occurs to either one of you that living and diving an island, is ever so much different than visiting and diving an island? Not even to mention, what kind of dives one might be doing during either of those particular extended experiences? :) I am intrigued and amused though, please do continue.

I'd be interested to here more about the dive sites and maybe a ranking of maybe the top 4 or 5 for each individual. My wife and I will be heading there June 13th for a week. We've been to the Rosseau area a couple of times via cruise ship so we picked the north area to get away. But we'll have a suv to get around.

So any info from you guys who have been there would be great!

thanks

Craig

I'd be interested to here more about the dive sites and maybe a ranking of maybe the top 4 or 5 for each individual. My wife and I will be heading there June 13th for a week. We've been to the Rosseau area a couple of times via cruise ship so we picked the north area to get away. But we'll have a suv to get around.

thanks

Craig

If it is just the two of you I'd rethink the SUV and get a jeep. The roads in Dominica are narrow, sometimes only a little wider than a car width and often quite curvy.

thanks

Craig

IMO, dive Soufriere area----only.....

If it is just the two of you I'd rethink the SUV and get a jeep. The roads in Dominica are narrow, sometimes only a little wider than a car width and often quite curvy.

I haven't seen a jeep for rent down there, but isn't a jeep a SUV? I saw the toyota Rav4, 4x4 that we were thinking about.. They are pretty small.

cb

& you are descsribing a 2 lane(way) road.........

I haven't seen a jeep for rent down there, but isn't a jeep a SUV? I saw the toyota Rav4, 4x4 that we were thinking about.. They are pretty small.

cb

A compact SUV like the Rav 4 would be good. The road from Portsmouth to Soufriere is good, many of the other roads, particularly up on the mountain rainforest are challenging to drive. But they have been widening them. But in some places it can take easily take 30+ minutes to drive 10 miles so even though Dominica is a small island it can take time to travel around. You don't just zip around like many of the islands.

But it is a fantastic place. Make sure to spend time as deep into the rainforest as you can.

But it is a fantastic place. Make sure to spend time as deep into the rainforest as you can.

Do you have a few recommendations on top side things to see and do. We are definitely up for a few hikes.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom