Dominica Trip Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have a few recommendations on top side things to see and do. We are definitely up for a few hikes.

Craig

Think-------------> 'Boiling Lake'.....that is a hike & a half, & be careful, about 5 years ago a tourist(lady) fell off over one of the 'narrow' walk ways to her death(or @ least that's why our guide told us---had happened about 7 or 8 months before we were there.).....

Do you have a few recommendations on top side things to see and do. We are definitely up for a few hikes.

Craig

I'd second the Boling Lake hike if you are up for a strenuous day. It's 12 miles roundtrip with about 2000 feet of elevation gain. It took us a little over 6 hours. But for my wife and I it was well worth missing a day of diving as an unique adventure. One funny side note from our trip. We had done a day of cayoning two before with our guide so already knew him. He shows up for the hike with an empty plastic water while I made sure I stocked my backpack with 4 good sized bottles of water. We just looked at him like whatever he's young. Twenty minutes into the hike we understood when he filled his water bottle from the stream. Soon we were drining the stream water also, or even water just running out from hillside plants. You are up above where anyone lives or farms, and there are few animals on Dominica so you are just drinking the clean, fresh rain water that fell the night before and is now running down the mountain.

Other things to do. We loved Canyoning with Extreme Dominica. Other typical adventours: Trafalger Falls, Emerald Pool, Titou Gorge. In Portsmouth canoe up Indian River, visist Fort Shirly and Cabrits National Park.

My trip report has lots of photos and web links: Diverrex.com

---------- Post added May 11th, 2013 at 08:05 AM ----------

Think-------------> 'Boiling Lake'.....that is a hike & a half, & be careful, about 5 years ago a tourist(lady) fell off over one of the 'narrow' walk ways to her death(or @ least that's why our guide told us---had happened about 7 or 8 months before we were there.).....

We were told that the group was from a cruise ship and had a deadline to be back so were running down the hill on the way back. She went over the edge when the trail took a sharp turn and she couldn't turn fast enough. True or Dominica myth?

Thanks guys, just a few weeks to go and starting to get excited. We do plan on hiking on several days. Probably more of days above water than below.

cb

Az_Zoner, please share your experience. I'm trying to decide between Dominica, Curacao and a Provo/Grand Turk combination for my next trip in November. Any input would be much appreciated.

Hello. We have dived lots in Dominica and Soufriere is by far the best. nature Island Dive, Karen, will be really flexible, prob arranging child care and accommodation etc. My favourite dives are Scott's Head Pinnacle, Danglebens, Champagne and Wrecks, Tu Sab, Condo. beaches aren't great but there is room for a child to play and enjoy the warm water. Some nice walks around Soufriere and there is now a national trail which you can do some stages of, ESP stage one which is in the south. Enjoy the Roseau market too and Screws Spa. Papillote is a lovely place to visit or stay too. In fact the whole island is fab!

Hi belette,
We did 2 dives off a cruise ship couple years ago in Soufriere with Nature Island Dive and is on our list of places to return for a week. Not sure where to stay though, in Soufriere or further South at the small community by Scotts Head.

I thought we'd dive in Dominica but didn't do one dive. We stopped by one shop and did not get the feeling that this is really a diving island. It may be great for new divers and those with limited experience but everything i've read on SB and from talking to divers here on the island, it sounded like just another dive. For two hundred bucks for a two tank dive there is so much more to do topside that impressed us that we choose to hike while here. We leave tomorrow and are heading back to Barbados where we dove wrecks last week and may try to hit one more this Friday.

The island is beautiful though! Very laid back and friendly locals. And from what we saw of the island it is very cleaned once your out of the main towns as compared to some. We are very glad we had the option to hike when the diving didn't pan out and feel it still is/was a great choice for us to come here.

We may be wrong on the diving and we probably will not know for sure. I don't think we'd come back just to dive it. To many places yet to see with a better chance of impressing us underwater.

just our 2 cents,

Craig

We dived Dominica in 2009 and thought the diving was good. But if you are there for only one day I'd say the hiking/nature advantage of Dominica compared to other Caribbean islands is greater than any diving advantage it may have. I have found better diving in the Caribbean than Dominica but so far I haven't found any Caribbean island with as good of hiking.

I thought we'd dive in Dominica but didn't do one dive. We stopped by one shop and did not get the feeling that this is really a diving island. It may be great for new divers and those with limited experience but everything i've read on SB and from talking to divers here on the island, it sounded like just another dive. For two hundred bucks for a two tank dive there is so much more to do topside that impressed us that we choose to hike while here. We leave tomorrow and are heading back to Barbados where we dove wrecks last week and may try to hit one more this Friday.

The island is beautiful though! Very laid back and friendly locals. And from what we saw of the island it is very cleaned once your out of the main towns as compared to some. We are very glad we had the option to hike when the diving didn't pan out and feel it still is/was a great choice for us to come here.

We may be wrong on the diving and we probably will not know for sure. I don't think we'd come back just to dive it. To many places yet to see with a better chance of impressing us underwater.

just our 2 cents,

Craig
Here is some of the new diver with limited experience things you missed Dominica Underwater 2009 - Karen Neptune's Photos

Dominica Underwater 2008 - Karen Neptune's Photos

Great pics! I bet those were some great dives to get photos like that. But I guess I've been diving enough that I want to be impressed even more than that to want to put up the money. This is just my wife and I, but we feel we can petty much see that on many islands in the Caribbean. My question to one of the shops was can you take us to a dive site that will really impress us. Their answer was just describing any Caribbean islands dive sites.

Again. Dominica has such a beautiful topside that we chose to see what we can not see on all Caribbean islands.

I did say we did do some diving in Barbados. We liked it because it had a couple of wrecks that were still somewhat new to and offered us something different. We were impressed with the wrecks. But we are technical wreck divers and enjoy wrecks. I also imagine that the aquatic life was not as good as Dominica and there fore not some divers would not care for the diving. But we did have did. We di have turtles become close friends as we were in the wrecks and coral growth was pretty impressive on one of the wrecks too.

Anyway, to each his own. Didn't mean to offend anyone but again new divers are usually impressed with anything when they first start diving and tend to want new and different as they become more experienced.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom