Donning your rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
How do you don your rig?

I used to don mine over the head...
Even with a PST LP104, a SS backplate, and a lead filled STA...

Now I dive double 104s and set them up on the transom of the boat or the tailgate of the pickup to don...

In the water I still don the doubles over my head... works slick!

So let's hear it....

How do you don your rig?

I know this is not the best way, but....
After assembling my set up, including my weights
All I do is grab it by the shoulder straps, pick it up, slip one shoulder in then the other.

Every once in awhile I'll sit down in front of my set up on my rear. Put the shoulder straps on, lean forward and to one side up to a knee. From here I can stand pretty easy.

On the boat I usually don it in the water, this is the easiest way on my boat. Also take it off prior to getting back on the boat while still in the water.

Mike M

Originally posted by Mike M

If it works best for you Mike....
It is the best way....

BTW: What kind/size boat do you have?

FWIW... we don our rigs in the boat because we have a big deck with low sides... but we always get out of the rigs before getting back on the boat... that's just what works best for us...
(And we have hydraulics to lift the doubles up onto the boat):wink:

I still like over the head for a single, though I only do that when I'm out of sight of students - bad example I'm told.
Doubles is on the tailgate or on the transom or on the rack or on the gunnel, depending on where or what boat.
When there are students, I do the singles like the doubles.
Rick

toss his gear over his head and right onto place...
then as I was standing at the end of the park table tank and gear setting comfortably asked why his gauge was under his BC?

I wear a lp 121 cf steel so I really believe that resting on a park table works well for me, then on a boat the Al 80 gets the same treatment, except for the bungee..

Hello,

When shore diving (springs) I put gear on in the water :wink: it's easier and less stressful.

Ed

I would try the "over the head"thing, but that would probably put me in the hospital! My buddy does it all the time on shore dive with single tank, and it never fails to impress me *sigh...heart goes a-flutter from all the testosterone*

Seriously though, I think over the head is fine..but not on the boat. Too many people to knock unconscious there!

Personally, if I'm on a large dive boat, I put my BC and fins on while sitting, then shuffle to the platform. I know, its probably not graceful, but I've learned I don't have the balance to put my on my fins with an Al80 on my back on the platform.

For shore dives, I find a nice truck bed or bumper and put my BC on there. If it is a long walk, I take my BC off once I'm waist deep and pull the BC whole thing after me. Helps me from falling on my tush!

BTW: What kind/size boat do you have?
I have a Four Winns 215 sundowner, 21 1/2ft cuddy cabin. It has a U-shape wrap around bench in the back which takes up a lot of room for donning gear.

I say that because there is a lot of stress on your back, with the weight and twisting to put it on.

For my fiancee, I hold her rig in the air and she'll back up into it.

Mike M

Hey Uncle Pug

Why?
What is wrong with over the head??
Why not teach it for those physically able to do it???

The opinion of my instructor is that you are too likely to hit someone else on the head with your flying tank, it's just too uncontrolled. I do it if there are no students around or if there are only strong, fit, students around and my instructor isn't close by, then I tell them it's not the PADI way so don't do it when he's there, because he'll get 'em for it.

Back
Top Bottom