Donning your rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The over the head method always worked well for me. I just make sure that on one or nothing is close to me, so that I don’t hit anything (or anyone). I dive with steel 100’s and a weight intergraded BC. Instructors don’t teach this do to liability issues.

………Arduous ………..

I think their real reason is wanting to teach students to do it safely. When one guy throws his on effortlessly for what ever reason, ALL of the guys think that they just have to match that physical display. Unfortunately, not all of them are capable of doing it. Consequently, you have not only smashed toes, and bonked heads, but herniated disks and hernias as possible scenarios. I am sure no instructor wants their students to get hurt from something they taught them.

It all depends on where I am.

On a boat, I'll sit and slide into the rig. Most of the dive boats up here are built for that method. (Over the head is hard on the roof :D - and my snorkel gets in the way :D)

On a dock, I sling in onto one sholder and then the other like a backpack, or have buddy hold it up and I slip it on.

Nuthin fancy.....

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Why?
What is wrong with over the head??
Why not teach it for those physically able to do it???
The shop I instruct for doesn't want it taught that way. I disagree, but not strongly enough to buck the shop and the agency.
Rick

Back in the days when Jacquest Cousteau was traipsing around the world and none of Lloyd Bridges kids had yet to start shaving, I was taught to put my gear on with an overhead toss. Ah, the drama, the style. Slap the regulator in your mouth, caress your BFK for good luck and it was time to get wet. We bad.

Now, older and working on wiser, the lack of control inherent in that method makes me nervous. Ah, the flying gear, the divers climbing over each other to avoid being clobbered. With 349 pieces of doodaddery hanging off of the rig (are we sure horse collars and rocks weren't better?) you're bound to end up explaining to someone that the regulator wedged in the crack of your ass is the latest iteration of DIR routing philosophy while your BWRAF your way through a buddy check.

When I can, I'd rather put gear on while in the water. If that's not appropriate, stand the rig up and sit down into it; if that's not appropriate, slip into it like a jacket. The last choice involves too much twisting and turning under load, but at least you have better control.

When is someone going to come up with gill implants?

My buddy and I both dive with PS 120s. I have to get into mine on the tailgate especially with a drysuit. He weights 320 and was a lineman for the local college and throws his over his head. It would kill me if I tried!
I also have an integrated weight BC with an average 25lbs of extra weight so its just easier to slither into it on boats.

Dave

reefraff,rotflmfao....I usually don in the water.Sometimes we hot drop a coupla guys on a reef and go nanchor down current to fish or follow thier bubbles.This is about the only time we do it on the boat with singles.With doubles it's difficult to do over-the-head toss.I have a leaning post that is 40 " high.It is perfect to set doubles up and just back in.We will usually have someone hand down stages unless there's to much current to anchor good,then it's put on everything and drop overboard with the grace of an elephant seal.

"Dons" his gear, while I prefer to "Pete" mine... Of course if I don't get it right the first time, I have to "re-Pete" myself...

Note to self... call DAN in the a.m. and report new symptom of DCS... really bad humor! Don't forget to pick up Nobel prize for discovering same next year. Oh yeah, submit Don for further testing as well...

Shore diving -- tailgate of the minivan or with buddy lifting it.

I'm a pretty strong guy, but the idea of throwing an LP 98 over my head with 10 lbs in my non-ditchable BC pockets makes me a little nervous.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom