Donning your rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My prefered method is the easiest way possible! I usually try to set it up on a table or bench or tailgate and step into it. If that is not available I put my left arm through, stand up, put my right arm through and adjust everything. If my screwed up knee is bothering me I inflate the BC and put it on in the water. I am a wuss and don't mind showing it. Since most of my diving is in cold water with a weight integrated BC the over the head method would involve a hospital stay and months of grief from my wife I avoid it unless I'm diving with an al 80 in warm water and even then only if I have to.

Scott:rolleyes:

When I don my gear in the water, I start in a face down resting position with either the snorkel or primary second stage in my mouth and float the gear over my head and onto my back. If you attempt this with your reg. in your mouth make sure the hose runs up between your arms and not on the outside.

On most commercial FL. dive boats the scuba unit is held in a cradle and the diver only has to sit down and slide into his/her gear, adjust the straps and is good to go.

Pug,

You asked, "Why?
What is wrong with over the head??
Why not teach it for those physically able to do it???"

I think a better question might be one you asked in another thread, "Are You Improving?" or "Do you feel that you have stagnated in your approach to diving?"

To that, I'd add one of my own, why do you want to continue the over the head method of donning your gear?

I see a number of reasons why the over the head is not the best choice. First, there are easier methods. Why do it a harder way? Is it because it looks cool? Next, you are basically dropping a large hammer into a blind spot. I have seen folks get hit by tanks in this manner. I've seen even more close calls. It's really not safe. It is a bad example. Even if you feel this method is as easy as any other (which it isn't and is a strain on your back) and you post guards to keep people out of the danger area other divers will think it looks cool and attempt it themselves. Not having your experience, they'll screw it up and have hoses tucked where they shouldn't be, they won't post guards and will hit someone and they are likely to throw out their backs.

I see several reasons why it's a bad idea, I don't see any reason why it's a good idea. It looks like we've found an area where you can improve your diving.

DSSW,

WWW™

Except for a vigilant customer who literally kicked me out of the way, I could have easily been put out of commission on day 1 of a Hawaiian vacation because of a DM donning over his head when diving with Kona Coast divers back in ’85.

I was bending over and a DM right in front of me and facing away flipped his tank over his head to don, and next thing I knew I was going sideways and on my butt. Though I never saw what happened there were a number of irate customers who did, and they jumped all over the DM who never appeared to be concerned over the incident.

From that point forward I’ve considered out-of-water donning a dangerous practice and doing it on an unstable platform like a boat pretty darn stupid in addition to dangerous. Both your situational awareness and stability is very compromised during the process. On a crowded boat, a staff member donning over their head is probably something that would be considered so negligent that it would cut through all the paperwork you had to sign before you stepped on board.

In the water I’ll don over my head, but the cylinder never leaves the water. It’s a very slow, controlled process where I move under the cylinder as much as the cylinder moves over me. Even if the cylinder were to bump into someone, it’s not going to come even close to hurting them.

Roak

Originally posted by Walter
Pug,

You asked, "Why?
What is wrong with over the head??
Why not teach it for those physically able to do it???"

I think a better question might be one you asked in another thread, "Are You Improving?" or "Do you feel that you have stagnated in your approach to diving?"

To that, I'd add one of my own, why do you want to continue the over the head method of donning your gear?

I see a number of reasons why the over the head is not the best choice. First, there are easier methods. Why do it a harder way? Is it because it looks cool? Next, you are basically dropping a large hammer into a blind spot. I have seen folks get hit by tanks in this manner. I've seen even more close calls. It's really not safe. It is a bad example. Even if you feel this method is as easy as any other (which it isn't and is a strain on your back) and you post guards to keep people out of the danger area other divers will think it looks cool and attempt it themselves. Not having your experience, they'll screw it up and have hoses tucked where they shouldn't be, they won't post guards and will hit someone and they are likely to throw out their backs.

I see several reasons why it's a bad idea, I don't see any reason why it's a good idea. It looks like we've found an area where you can improve your diving.

DSSW,

WWW™
Gotta disagree on several points, Walter.
Easier methods - with the possible exception of having the gear on a crane that'll hold it up shoulder high for me to slip into, or having a raised lip of about eight inches behind a seat with the rig tilted a bit forward and some kind of quick-release doodad, [neither of which are readily available] I can't think of anything easier than the over-the-head method.
Dropping into a blind spot - done correctly, you first clear the area, then smoothly bring the tank over and lower it onto your back. You do not "toss" or "drop" it. In over thirty years of over-the-head donning, I have never come anywhere close to bopping anyone else with a tank. If someone is inattentive enough to endanger their companions when donning the tank over the head, they're likely the same folks who swing a donned tank around and smack someone or drop a tank or weightbelt on someone's foot. Not only have I never come close to hitting anyone else with an over-the-head don, I've never seen anyone else hit anyone either, and I have been and continue to dive with old farts like me who still don over the head.
Strain on the back - a proper position, using the legs for lifting, and keeping the back nice and straight is nowhere near as hard on the back as the twisting and lifting motion required by the one arm at the time method. The proper pre-lift arangement of hoses, belts, etc assures a clean don with hoses in the right places.
Like entries, one should do it the safest and easiest way - and for me, with a single tank, that's over the head.
You are right, however, that without training in its proper execution, the over-the-head don is frought with problems - and as we're not allowed to train folks to do it anymore, folks will screw it up - hence my practice of using this method only around those who already know how.
Rick

Originally posted by Walter
Pug,
<<<snip good stuff>>>
I see a number of reasons why the over the head is not the best choice.

Walter...

I couldn't even if I wanted to....
Double 104s are beyond my load limit for over the head.... :wink:

However I will continue to do OTH when and if I use a single again....
not because I can't do the other methods...
OTH is an improvement on them...

The reasons you gave were cogent and good but not the way I do the OTH....

As Rick describe it involves nothing dangerous....
And I didn't know that it looked cool....
And I have been hit by folks swinging their tanks around side ways in the jacket don....

They way I do OTH is to have the rig standing in front of me facing away from me. I reach down through the harness (or BC straps) with all hoses outside of my hands and grab the tank sides. I simply lift the tank up and over my head, and to keep my back shoulder zipper from being damaged (if I am using that suit) I gently lower it to my back. No slinging , flipping or dropping. With an exceptionally heavy single (LP 104) I will stop at the top and with the cylinder on my head re-position my hands to the valve so that I can make sure the tanks comes down very gently.

I can do this in much less of a "foot print" than other methods without endangering myself or others. I have found that the less room there is, the more important it is for me to be able to do a correct OTH.

Stability in a very small boat is however an issue and I would not do this standing up in a small boat.... but it works just as well if not better on your knees in the dingy.

For those who are looking to improve their donning method you might want to try this at home a few times.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom