Doubles Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluepearl

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'd like to invite thoughts, experiences and opinions on my question -

I've been diving a while, mostly in the Northeast. For New England diving I use a dry suit and bp/w set up. Since most of the diving I do in this area is wreck diving I am feeling increasingly frustrated by the limitations of single tank diving.

I've done intro to cavern and a host of other courses and am contemplating moving on to doubles. I've looked into doing an intro to tech course and while I can see that the information is important - honestly I can't see that I'm ever going to need to shoot a lift bag etc. I am willing to do the course if I need to but am wondering if it is really necessary to safely dive doubles if I do my due diligence in understanding and executing the basic drills (like valve drills). I'd like to be able to access about 170'.

I am a woman btw :)

Your thoughts?

If you are planning 170' you do need to know how to shoot a bag, proper deco procedures and should be using trimix. Doubles are the way to go and with the proper training, dives to this depth will be safe and enjoyable and will open up the option to explore some of our deeper and better preserved wrecks. Good luck and safe diving.

Thank you. Yes I realize I'll need advanced gases and deco training. I guess everything has its natural progression :)

I'd like to invite thoughts, experiences and opinions on my question -

I've been diving a while, mostly in the Northeast. For New England diving I use a dry suit and bp/w set up. Since most of the diving I do in this area is wreck diving I am feeling increasingly frustrated by the limitations of single tank diving.

I've done intro to cavern and a host of other courses and am contemplating moving on to doubles. I've looked into doing an intro to tech course and while I can see that the information is important - honestly I can't see that I'm ever going to need to shoot a lift bag etc. I am willing to do the course if I need to but am wondering if it is really necessary to safely dive doubles if I do my due diligence in understanding and executing the basic drills (like valve drills). I'd like to be able to access about 170'.

I am a woman btw :)

Your thoughts?

I think you need to take a technical course such as a Tech 1 type of class. Also what is intro to cavern?

I guess it depends at least a little on what your diving habits are. If you tend to dive solo, then as long as you can reach your valves and close them, and have a clear idea of what you are going to do in what order, then I suppose a class is going to offer you very little. (Although I have a hard time understanding how someone is planning on tech diving on wrecks without learning to shoot a bag.)

If you dive with buddies, it's kind of important that you all know a procedure for coping with problems. I've had the experience of being in a class with someone who wasn't on the same page, protocol-wise, and it didn't go very well. In that case, taking a class will at least get you to practice the procedures involving other divers, so that you are familiar with the communication and the challenges of managing a team.

If you're planning on taking an Adv Nitrox/Deco or Trimix class, you'll get that stuff, anyway.

Sorry! Thats intro to cave and cavern. I took them together :)

mostly in the Northeast. For New England diving I use a dry suit and bp/w set up. Since most of the diving I do in this area is wreck diving

- honestly I can't see that I'm ever going to need to shoot a lift bag etc. I'd like to be able to access about 170'.

My thoughts are if you ever miss an upline in crappy viz and ripping current,all at 170 or so with an hours deco to do, you might regret not knowing how to shoot a bag.........

LOL OKAY - Okay! I get it :) And yes - there is plenty of crappy viz and ripping currents around here!

Not long ago two brothers who spearfished regularly in the Florida Keys were frustrated by the lack of bottom time they got on their AL 80s, so they brought brand new 119s. They used their "tried and true" dive philosophy of staying on the bottom (in this case 130 feet) until they were low on air and then surfacing. One of them is a quadriplegic today.

With increased bottom time comes a need for further training in decompression theory and practice. It also involves training for circumstances that are more likely to arise on dives of this type. It will do no harm to get that training, and it could do a lot of good.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I suppose I have always thought of myself as a very serious and committed sport diver. And truly, learning to dive in the Northeast has been a great boon. The Tech Divers I know are extremely serious and awe inspiring people :)

Back
Top Bottom