Doubles recommendations for a small framed women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've emailed extensively with my UTD Essentials instructor and also exchanged emails with my GUE Fundies instructor (and have worked with several local DIR divers), all have offered helpful suggestions which I have already tried in pool sessions. My scope of vision is better - but still my head is obstructed. Which is a bit of a problem on ascents.

I will likely see my Fundies instructor or his assistant next weekend. But he's already seen the rig topside and stamped his approval. I'm 5'4" and it appears the head restriction problem is not uncommon for shorter divers.

At this point the only thing I know to try is loosening the straps even more. I'm off to the pool now to try that. I was hoping someone here would have another suggestion?

I'm wondering about using a different plate, but I do not know if plates/bolt positions vary slightly with brand/size? Not sure if this could make a difference in tank position?

I'll be around lots of DIR doubles this weekend & can compare tank band positions - good idea :).

Not sure if a different plate would help or not ... but you mentioned you're using a DSS short plate. I love DSS plates, but they're just about the flattest plates out there, with about the shallowest channel depth. A different plate, with a deeper bend angle and/or deeper channel might put the manifold a bit further behind your head. It's worth a try if you can find someone to loan you one.

Bolt positions are standardized at 11" spacing ... so that shouldn't be a problem. Some plates will give you multiple sets of bolt holes, allowing you to move the tanks up and down by choosing a different set. My FredT plate has three sets of bolt holes. DSS plates have two sets. And my Dive Rite plate only has one set.

Keep in mind that most manufacturers do not make a "short" plate ... so your options may be limited by your need for a smaller plate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bolt positions are standardized at 11" spacing ... so that shouldn't be a problem. Some plates will give you multiple sets of bolt holes, allowing you to move the tanks up and down by choosing a different set. My FredT plate has three sets of bolt holes. DSS plates have two sets. And my Dive Rite plate only has one set.

I think I'll take my plate to the LDS and compare the distance between the top and holes with other plates.

Does anyone else know other plate options with multiple holes for adjustment?

Keep in mind that most manufacturers do not make a "short" plate ... so your options may be limited by your need for a smaller plate.... Bob (Grateful Diver)[/

Talking to Lynne - I'm not sure I need a small plate, but again I'm not really sure what difference I'd notice while diving the small vs regular plate - guess I just need to borrow gear and check it out.

Thanks Bob!

Humm, I don't think that would work (without serious kinks or crumpling the wing) given that the regs & hoses are angled down as far as they can be pointed towards the tanks, but I'll take a look.

Here's the set up:

40lb "H" Evolve Wing
HP 100 Worthington tanks
Highland bands
Thermo manifold
Mk25 regs

That's one of my exact same setups.....try tilting the regs a little past a 45* angle, but place the wing behind the regs and hoses tight to the manifold.....The next time I assymble my rig I'll take a pic and post it (in about 2 or 3 days) unless you beat me to it.....

That's one of my exact same setups.....try tilting the regs a little past a 45* angle, but place the wing behind the regs and hoses tight to the manifold.....The next time I assymble my rig I'll take a pic and post it (in about 2 or 3 days) unless you beat me to it.....

Yeah it's a sweet set up :wink:!

Off to the pool to give it a go! Look forward to more suggestions/comments.

Not sure if a different plate would help or not ... but you mentioned you're using a DSS short plate. I love DSS plates, but they're just about the flattest plates out there, with about the shallowest channel depth. A different plate, with a deeper bend angle and/or deeper channel might put the manifold a bit further behind your head. It's worth a try if you can find someone to loan you one.

Plate bend and center channel depth has no effect on the position of the cylinders relative to the diver.

When using doubles the cylinders contact the outer edge of the back plate and the back plate contacts the diver in about the same spot.

Regardless of plate bend or center channel depth when using doubles the cylinders are offset from the divers back by about the thickness of the plate.

This is of course not the case with single tanks, but it is with doubles.

Edit, tank diameter does have a direct effect on the manifold position relative to the diver. 8" bottles , lp 95's 130's etc. put the manifold 1/2 further from the diver than 7 inch bottles such as faber lp 85's

Tobin

Last edited:
Without pictures it's hard to tell how your rig is set up.....but, one solution which has helped me out tremendously with range of motion is to put the wing under the MK25's and route the hoses over the wing.....

I don't like doing that. When the wing inflates, it pushes against your hoses.

When I set up my rig (same setup), I do it in this order: Left post, right post (inflator hose over backup hose) wing.

I've emailed extensively with my UTD Essentials instructor and also exchanged emails with my GUE Fundies instructor (and have worked with several local DIR divers), all have offered helpful suggestions which I have already tried in pool sessions. My scope of vision is better - but still my head is obstructed. Which is a bit of a problem on ascents.

I will likely see my Fundies instructor or his assistant next weekend. But he's already seen the rig topside and stamped his approval. I'm 5'4" and it appears the head restriction problem is not uncommon for shorter divers.

At this point the only thing I know to try is loosening the straps even more. I'm off to the pool now to try that. I was hoping someone here would have another suggestion?

I'm wondering about using a different plate, but I do not know if plates/bolt positions vary slightly with brand/size? Not sure if this could make a difference in tank position?

I'll be around lots of DIR doubles this weekend & can compare tank band positions - good idea :).

Admittedly, I did not spend a lot of time looking but from what I saw this weekend, I am inclined to say that the some of the fixes being suggested in this thread would not only not fix the problem (if it could be characterized as a problem), they potentially would cause new problems.

The two main complaints I have heard you post about recently - being head heavy and not being able to pin head back as far as desired - are going to be covered pretty thoroughly in your fundies class.

If it were me having to process the myriad of advice you are getting in the internet, I know I would be completely and utterly confused. I doubt that a committee of strangers in the internet can be any more effective at providing you good advice than a GUE instructor and his assistant.

Incidentally, not being able to pin your head back further is not necessarily a problem that is caused by being shorter in stature. In fact, in your case, I suspect the issue is not related to your height.

Food for thought.

Does anyone else know other plate options with multiple holes for adjustment?

Picking a plate (or buying a new plate when you have a perfectly good one) based on position of the holes seems silly to me. It's nothing that can't be fixed with some power tools. I have custom holes in my backplate to solve the sort of problem I suspect that you have, Kathy.

Not that I'm suggesting you drill holes at this point... I agree with Ted.

it were me having to process the myriad of advice you are getting in the internet, I know I would be completely and utterly confused. I doubt that a committee of strangers in the internet can be any more effective at providing you good advice than a GUE instructor and his assistant.

I do agree I'll learn much more from class & will sort things out there - my instructor does keep reminding me of that :).

But right now I'm diving these doubles up to 6+ dives a week & because of the head obstruction I am having trouble keeping an eye on my buddies upon ascent which I'm not ok with.

I'm not looking for perfection now, I'm sure the class with help with that :). I just want the rig a bit more functional in the water on the next 12-20 dives while I wait 3 more weeks till Fundies starts ;-). I never had this problem with my single tank rig but I have no desire to switch back.

Today I loosened the straps a little more which increased my scope of vision a bit. That will probably do for now. Head heavy is temporarily corrected.

Incidentally, not being able to pin your head back further is not necessarily a problem that is caused by being shorter in stature. In fact, in your case, I suspect the issue is not related to your height

I think I'll take my plate to the LDS and compare the distance between the top and holes with other plates!

Interestingly I measured 1 1/5" from the top of my Small plate to the top of my upper tank bolt (in the lowest of the two holes on the plate). There is no room to drill lower holes in this plate.

I also measured a regular sized Al "H" plate at the LDS and it measured 2" from the top of the plate to the top of the bolt hole.

Curious about other plates and their measurements but like Alison and Dave suggested - it's probably best to drill custom holes if necessary but I'd still have to buy another plate for that.

Last edited:
I don't like doing that. When the wing inflates, it pushes against your hoses. When I set up my rig (same setup), I do it in this order: Left post, right post (inflator hose over backup hose) wing.

That's' what I usually do.

Without pictures it's hard to tell how your rig is set up.....but, one solution which has helped me out tremendously with range of motion is to put the wing under the MK25's and route the hoses over the wing.....

Thanks for the advice. I took a look at my rig and I have no idea how you run this set up without kinking your hoses or obstructing your wing when it is fully inflated. I can't see how it's possible. Maybe you should post a picture to see what others think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom