Dry Mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to assume that you asked this question after just a couple of dives. If you've RECENTLY dove more than 5 times then my comment is probably not going to be helpful. But after I've been away from diving for a while, I experience the same issue. But after 5 dives or so, I suddenly remember how to salivate again while diving. I think it is a nervous response, similar to getting cotton mouth if you are uncomfortable speaking in public.

Give it a few more dives, stay hydrated, and pay attention to your salivation while diving and I think it will take care of itself. My whole family noticed this when they were recently certified and then after they got comfortable, it corrected itself and was no longer an issue.

well, i did a 24min and a 21 min fri eve, didnt notice it too much, then a 33 and 19 min sat morn and it was terribly dry. the last one was my 10th logged dive. comfort level was poor sat though, very long cruise and im still not in shape so maybe that had some effect as well? several of you mentioned a pee valve, i dont quite grasp this concept and elaboration would be nice. meanwhile i will try more fluids, and consider the bio filter after i hear more about it. Thanks to anyone i missed, the feedback has been helpful.

I usually put a Werther's butterscotch candy between my teeth and cheek and that takes care of the problem for me.

I usually put a Werther's butterscotch candy between my teeth and cheek and that takes care of the problem for me.

I think I'd rather have dry mouth than choke at 100' on a piece of candy.

On the pee valve, they were just saying that if you are dry because you are not drinking water so you don't have to pee while diving, then look into installing a pee valve in your drysuit. (If wearing a wetsuit I've heard of pee valves in those too but just man up and pee in it like the rest of us do.) :cool2:

I think I'd rather have dry mouth than choke at 100' on a piece of candy.

Me too but since I keep the candy between my teeth and cheek there is little chance of that happening. Not saying it's impossible though. And just to clarify, once I put the candy there, it stays there until the dive is over. I don't go moving it around in my mouth, just let it dissolve in place.

I wouldn't recommend tucking it under my tongue as someone else did though.

Last edited:
I know divers who bring water down with them. Seems like a funky idea taking water into the lake or ocean, but it works well. Plastic sports bottles work well for this, you just need a way to hook it to something, and a bolt snap does the trick.

When I dive the Blue Hole (fresh) the water is rather clean, and on occasion after a full day of diving I may take a drink while diving.

In salt that is rather disgusting, and to be avoided. I will live with drymouth before sucking in the ocean... yuck!

I stay rather hydrated at all times. I drink plenty of water, so I do sometime experience drymouth, but not too often.

You don't have to drink the water or even let the water go into your mouth in any quantity. Take the reg out and keep your lips closed. Now that the reg is full of water, stick it back in your mouth and block it with your tongue then hit the purge just like you were taught in OW. Now that the reg is slightly wet, it'll keep the supplied air moist for a bit and give you some dry mouth relief.

Repeat as needed.

That's not a bad idea at all; wonder why I didn't think of it.
I'll have to try it next time I get wet.

Me too but since I keep the candy between my teeth and cheek there is little chance of that happening. Not saying it's impossible though. And just to clarify, once I put the candy there, it stays there until the dive is over. I don't go moving it around in my mouth, just let it dissolve in place.

I wouldn't recommend tucking it under my tongue as someone else did though.

Yep. Hope I didn't come off as preaching to you. But wanted to make sure that the chance of it becoming a choking hazard was out there so others can make a reasoned decision. How you dive is your business not mine. It's actually a good idea. (But I'm one of those people that fiddles too much and I won't trust myself to be as disciplined as you are with your candy. :shakehead: )

Not a problem. Your post gave me the chance to clarify exactly what I do. My first reply was a little careless and deserved some attention.

As many have said, stay properly hydrated, lots of water, less diuretics, coffee, alcohol
and, perhaps, consider: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter

I have one of these. It worked well for hydrating your air, but I always worried that it looked fragile and might be a failure point on the reg, so eventually I chickened out and took it off. It never did fail, but I always just felt like it might if I knocked it against a ledge or something.

Back
Top Bottom