Drysuit Fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolrose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How is a neoprene drysuit supposed to fit? How loose or tight should it be? I just bought a suit off of ebay and am trying to figure out if it fits or is a little too small. I tried it on last night, and it fits a good bit looser then my 7MM wetsuit, but definitely not hugely big. I tried it on over my work clothes and used no powder etc on the seals, which I realize was pretty dumb. Getting my head out when I wanted to take it off was somewhat of a religious experience so I am fairly sure the neck seal is too tight, but I've seen on some threads here that it's possible to stretch that. What about the wrist seals, is it possible to stretch them at all? They fit fine once they were on, but it was a major pita to get them on.

Are there any "rings" left on the neck and wrist seals (that is if they are latex seals)? Those are guidelines for cutting them to get a good fit. I like mine a bit snug but my wife does not.

For neoprene seals you tuck them under and many people streath them by putting them over a cylinder or something of similar diameter to your neck.

Overall the suit should be a bit loose so you can wear other garments under it. It should not fit like a wetsuit.

Slightly loose is fine - you want a little room for slightly thicker undergarments but at the same time, not too much room for excessive air shift etc.

A neoprene suit can fit a lot snugger than a trilam, compressed neoprene or vulcanized rubber suit as it stretches so you can have a snug fit that swims much more like a wetsuit than a dry suit without compromising mobility or range of motion.

How is a neoprene drysuit supposed to fit? How loose or tight should it be? I just bought a suit off of ebay and am trying to figure out if it fits or is a little too small. I tried it on last night, and it fits a good bit looser then my 7MM wetsuit, but definitely not hugely big. I tried it on over my work clothes and used no powder etc on the seals, which I realize was pretty dumb. Getting my head out when I wanted to take it off was somewhat of a religious experience so I am fairly sure the neck seal is too tight, but I've seen on some threads here that it's possible to stretch that. What about the wrist seals, is it possible to stretch them at all? They fit fine once they were on, but it was a major pita to get them on.

Fit has been covered. The seals are supposed to be somewhat snug. Make them too loose and they will leak. As long as they are not compromising circulation, they're probably about where they should be. If they really are too tight, both can be stretched. Be careful not to overstretch, however, or you'll have to replace them.

Neoprene seals are notorious for being kinda hard to get on and off, but more comfortable once they're on. Unfortunately, unless you like a wet drysuit, you need to size them for when they're ON so they work properly in the water, not so they're easier to deal with on dry land.

If the seals are neoprene put a couple beer cans in the wrists, and a tank in the neck overnight.

Be sure you know the proper way to put the suit on and off. I didn't, and had to have a wrist seal replaced after th first time I used my suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom