Drysuits....to pee or not... Depends...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ladies (men, hold back the jokes please),
I'm one of many drysuit divers looking for a way to stay better hydrated and avoid the loo! Yes, I know we have the "She-P" but I'm researching only "Depends" here. I don't necessarily dive every weekend, nor do I do more than one dive a day...but acoiding the urge starts well before I leave home. My questioning to the users are....how secure do you feel using them and do they work on a small bladder or can they take a heavy flow? Can they take more than one (P)? I'm really tired of trying to keep my drysuit sleeves off the bathroom floor, its not always convenient to completely take my drysuit off...nuff said! I've thought about ordering a sample to just try around the house...
Thankyou ladies, I really value your input!

Depends on how you pee... LOL!!! Really, Depends do work and if you pee slow it will not blowout and leak.... adding a maxi pad helps... Now this is second hand from my wife... If I need to pee, Well I pee and washout the drysuit... But I'm not one to care about what others think.. Maybe thats why I like my 7mm wetsuit...

Jim...

Depends on how you pee... LOL!!! Really, Depends do work and if you pee slow it will not blowout and leak.... adding a maxi pad helps... Now this is second hand from my wife... If I need to pee, Well I pee and washout the drysuit... But I'm not one to care about what others think.. Maybe thats why I like my 7mm wetsuit...

Jim...

That's a fair observation....considering it came from your wife's experience! I won't even P in a wetsuit..not happening!

I would recommend Tena's (Wally World or Amazon has them) way over Depends.

The Tena's are much more - how shall i say this? - streamlined than the bulky Depends. They come in several options for absorbency but if you are planning on emptying your bladder you will need one of the most absorbent options and the key is, go slowly!!!

*With the Tenas* If you want the diapers (vs a pad) I highly recommend the sm-med size, for up to a size 12 women's (not plus just regular).

Good luck!

I would recommend Tena's (Wally World or Amazon has them) way over Depends.

The Tena's are much more - how shall i say this? - streamlined than the bulky Depends. They come in several options for absorbency but if you are planning on emptying your bladder you will need one of the most absorbent options and the key is, go slowly!!!

Thankyou! This is one of the "peeses" of feedback I'm lookng for! ScubaSam had a thread in 2011 dedicated to this topic, but I'm just researching the diaper end of it.

I tried a diaper. Trust me, you don't want to do it.

Are you actually trying to make it through the day and not just through one dive? You need to be realistic and figure out how to relieve yourself after driving to the launch site & possibly also during the day. Making friends with the folks at the nearest house might be an option, making friends with other folks out where you dive that own boats with a head is an idea. Apply some creative thinking!

Try not to hydrate before diving. You're only going to be down an hour or so. Go before getting in your suit and as needed after the dive. Hydrating is overrated.

Even well hydrated, you can usually have a comfortable 60, even 90 min dive in a drysuit before nature calls of climbing the ladder with lots of gear doesn't sound like a dry idea. If a woman in nonetheless wearing a she-pee or pad, she either isn't down for just an hour or she has some other circumstances that make it truely a good idea. No one would do this for funsies. Let's just say you guys with pee valves have no idea how unpleasant adhesive really is :)

I have found that no coffee the morning of diving (or decaf) makes a huge difference.

I typically use the She-P with Depends as a back- up (I only have about a 50% success rate), but can not wear the She-P all the time. If Depends are to be used, then, as mentioned above,... meter it out or risk overflow.

I used the Depends for the first time last week. My p-valve was leaking at the inside port and we were doing some longer cave dives. So, I tried it and was impressed! As already stated, you need to go slow to give the absorbent material time to do its job.

However, that being said, I can't wait to get my drysuit back with its functioning peevalve!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom