Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man, talk about a thread that won't die. 2001!

Dumbest thing I have ever done ----- ended a dive...

Turned my wifes tank off-then one quarter of the way back on, thinking that I was actually turning MY tank on.

Dropped my mask and snapped of the retaining clip just as I was about to spalsh into the water. No biggie, pulled out my spare from my drysuit pocket.

Have also jummped in without my weight belt on. No sweat, just ask a DM to hand it to me.

1- Old diver - newly certified and diving again

2- Got the extra Insurance

3- Wife has trouble with "righty-tighty lefty-loosy" for valves

4- felt low on air 5 min into dive

5- reach for reserve - Oops it's a K-valve (not J)

6- Good, I can still reach behind my head ... valve was closed and quarter turn open

7- Still married!

Bought a brand-new toy to Toledo Bend... and dropped it overboard before even starting the dive.

Trying to "ice pick" a pitcher of frozen water with a "drop point" steak knife. As "Ace Ventura" once said ... "It's in the bone, it's in the booooooone."

-----

Mike.

Well I'm pretty good at losing gear, and just about as good at breaking it. Then turning up at dive sites having forgotten essential gear like reg, hood, mask, weight belt, fins, suit, undersuit and apart from going in the water with my air turned off, suit zip open and forgetting my fins compass mask etc, I'm a pretty good diver.

1. Was diving with my buddy Abby and we were salvaging anchors. We got three of them over to our anchor rope with a lot of effort. With a lack of communication underwater and lots of poor planning and judgment, we decided that we would tie the lift bag attached to the new anchors to OUR anchor line. We put air in the bag and it went up a little bit. So more bad planning we added lots more air and the anchors took off like a shot. The momentum pulled our anchor out of the sand and off went our boat. Luckily our top guys were really aware of our lack of planning and when the lift bag with all four anchors came flying out of the water, they grapped the anchors and came to get us.
2. Same dive buddy Abby and I decided to try to spear ramoras with a pole spear. Forgot to hold on and learned that those things sink really quick.
3. Lost a one month old St Moritz dive water ($200) because I took it off to wash my hands (yes it was waterproof) and dropped it overboard.
4. We would even talk about the number of dive knives and dive lights that I've lost in the past two years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom