Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Im a newbie so I havent had much time to do very many really dumb things yet, but I managed to pull a pretty dumb and embarrassing one during my 3rd OW certification dive.

We were at Cypress Springs in Florida, and there were 12 OW students (including yours truly). Our dive instructor split us up into 3 groups of four so she could manage us easier. This day I was in the last group. In order to speed up the process the divemasters had each subsequent group waiting on the surface so that when the prior group surfaced, we could immediately move into place and start our descent.

I was waiting patiently at the surface just before the second group surfaced when much to my horror I realized I forgot to put on my weight belt. Of course this meant that my buddy check..... BWRAF.....was totally skipped. It was too late for me to exit the water and go running after it, so I had to announce it to everyone and have one of the divemasters go retrieve it for me. To my credit though, I stayed in the water and put the wieght belt on as I was trained to do, and the divemaster complimented the fact that I handled it well.

It sure was embarrassing though.....and the experience reinforced my resolve to ALWAYS do my buddy check in the future!!!!

Forgot weight belt once. Forgot to set nitrox mix several times. Forgot to turn computer on several times. I'm sure there will be more idiocy. Moxie

During a night dive, my buddy and I were cognizant of a light shining from the boat into the water. We decided to use that as a reference point during our return. At the end of the dive we checked our reciprocal heading and began kicking toward the direction of the light source. After some time we thought either we were kicking into a strong current, or had lost our sense of time. We decided to surface and were surprised and embarrassed to find that our light source was the moon. We paid for it a little surface swim, and owed each other a beer.

I was diving in Hawaii when I came upon an octopus. I gave chase, have no idea why. It led me through some rocks and coral when it suddenly inked me. My vision obstructed, I reached out with my right hand while kicking as hard as I could. I didn’t see the black sea urchin with spines so long and fine they were almost invisible at the tips. I drove my right hand straight into the urchin’s spines. About 8 to 10 spines easily penetrated my glove. Blood poured out from my glove like a black ooze. For two months after the accident I couldn’t close my hand, could barely shift gears in my car or write. The octopus is probably still telling the story about that dumb diver to its friends! Lesson I learned? Leave the critters alone and just enjoy their being there! :errrr:

Bluce...

Ouch!! That was a painful mistake. It reminds me of one of the first things we were taught in OW class:

If its really pretty or really ugly......dont touch it! :)

forgot to set FO2 on computer, but hey, those computers are nice jewelry! First OW dive after certs "tested" my reg with purge button-scared the daylights out of everyone. Asked "what kind of sharks were they" after my first wreck dive-they were tarpon. ETC ETC ETC

Back Roll off a boat without my mask. Felt pretty stupid

don O

* More than a few times, forgot to start my watch before my descent.

*Though I was out of the wreck and ended up cutting up the back of leg nicely... in salt water. :booboo: (top of a farmer john only)

*Last week, getting out of my dry suit (I'm new to dry suits) I'm having a harder than usualy time with a wrist seal. The room was lively, we were all talking then... From across the room, right after I get my hand though.... "shouldn't you do the neck seal first?" Simultiously remembering I had latex around my neck and that I'd have to push my hand back though the seal, I could only respond with a quite "yea"

Originally posted by donooo
Back Roll off a boat without my mask. Felt pretty stupid

don O

That provided my laugh of the day. Thanks!! I can just picture it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom