Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Activated my computer at a depth of 15ft. When you turn it on, it senses the ambient pressure and adjusts automatically for altitude. Turning it on underwater means that it rapidly goes into emergency deco mode. Not good.

I was sitting with my face in the water breathing out of my snorkel waiting for everyone else to enter. They jusmped in, and we descended. I realized quickly that I had the wrong mouthpiece in.

After doing my first 120 dives in a wetsuit, I finally got my drysuit this past December. A few days later my wife and I went out for a boat dive in Puget Sound. In the excitement of gearing up and checking out all her gear, I forgot to burp my suit before giant striding into the water. I hit the water and puffed up like the Michelin Man ... quickly bobbing to the surface in a horizontal position. There was so much air in my suit I couldn't even move my arm to press the vent valve. I had to lay there while the air slowly vented from my suit at the rate allowed by the automatic setting ... which took long enough for everyone on the boat to appreciate what had happened.

However, I didn't feel so bad ... one other guy on the same dive entered the water only to realize that he forgot to close his relief zipper. No worries ... in December, Puget Sound is a balmy 48 degrees.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would have say......losing my mask on a long surface swimming as a result of having it on the top of head (pretty dumb).

Also, diving repeatly with very bad sinus infections, I have since has surgery fixing the problem. but, I used to dive all the time after taking tons of nose spray and lots of psuedoephedrine, talk about vertigo, (very dunb).

1. Sitting on the side of a dive boat, ready to backward roll, but have a nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something. Lightbulb goes on and I ask the DM to turn on my air. So that was an almost...

2. Forgot my dive skin on two separate occasions in Bonaire. Once was back in the good ol' days when the Sand Dollar had the dive shop right on the water....the boat had just pulled away from the dock, and I realized my skin was still hanging in the storage area. They turned around for me and let me retreive it. The other time I drove up to Sabadeco with friends to do a shore dive and, once again forgot my skin.......doh!

3. I rented equipment from a dive shop even though the previous year the regulator that I had rented from the same shop fell apart at 40 feet. So that year as I reluctantly rented from them again I experienced free flow into the BC........trying to put a tiny bit of air in when "BSSSSSCCCCHHHHHHHHTTTTT"....free flow, BC is rapidly filling up and I'm ascending at a very rapid pace. Luckily I was able to dump air and disconected the hose before anything serious happened. Guess I learned my lesson and don't rent from them any longer......

Hmmm...

Entry w/ air off on several occasion.

Entry w/o weights....about 4 times.

Droppped and broke mask - once...DOH! (still dived, mask sticks to face at depth!)

Got lost at sea for 4 1/2 hours (not my fault!)

Dumbest thing:

Got narced on a deep dive doing the Bianca C' (at 125ft), lost touch with reality (no explanations needed), began to sink! My buddy caught me at around 145ft! And I don't remember any of it! I did feel happy though :wink:

Does that count as being a dumb thing? Technically I was not 'doing' anything and was not in control of myself!

I left for a boat dive, running late, and realized halfway there that I had left my weight belt on the stairs at home.

Everyone seems to be doing fine and all... after the two deep dives are over, one of the students is complaining about his rental gear. Rental gear? I asks... well it seems that he forgot his regs at the house... he went and rented regs from Forty Fathom grotto, and the inflator hose did not fit, so he had to rent a BC as well... If he had only asked around, I always carry an extra BC (or 2) and at least two extra regs, and an extra computer. The spare BC and regs were what he dives with too... What a maroon, but he was too ashamed to ask and look bad. Although I was not his grotto guide, I did hear tell that he was pretty narced to boot... kept trying to listen to his watch at 130'.

Lets see...

- End of the final OW dive, instructor checks our SPGs and puts
me in charge of returning after 1000 psi. He _knows_ I have
decent air consumption. After 20 minutes I'm down 750 but my
buddy is down 1500 so we return. Upon surfacing, the instructor
is on a rock shouting "I've found them!". Everyone comes
running and we have no idea what's going on. Turns out a flash
lightning storm came over while we were under, we never knew
and my instructor thought he lost a couple students.

- Preparing to enter for my second dive of the day. Put my
mask on a waste high rock. Grab my rig and hoist it up on
the rock to help put it on. Get my fins on, get my gloves on.
Grab and don my mask. Start walking towards the entry
when I feel something hit my cheek. At this point I notice
that my mask is incredibly clean for a second dive. It's only
then that I realize what hit my cheek was a piece of the
little bit of glass left in my mask after placing my tank on it.

- And the all time worst. This was _not_ me. We're out for a
late night full moon dive. Not a cloud in the sky, not a ripple on
the water. The bioluminesence was the most incredible I'd
ever seen. I'm the first in the water, hanging out playing with
the underwater fireworks. Diver two enters. We wait for diver
3. I had forgotten to hook up LP inflator when helping with her
gear, and she fights with that. Eventually she overheats and
decides to abort [she had been on a crash diet and was only
to dive if she could remain relaxed].

Buddy and I decend, head over to the wreck. We're farting
around and I decide I want to go get my tickle stick to play
with the sleeping fish. We head back to the anchor line and
surface. I surface first and notice our support member is
frantically digging through the console storage areas. "What's
up?". "Where's the first aid kit?". "Uh... in there, why?". "She
cut her finger". "Is she ok?". (she says) "Yes". (he says) "No".
"Should we abort?" she: "No", He: "yes".

We get on board, bandage her up the best we can. "We should
head in" she: "No", the rest of us "Shut up!". We start heading
in. I'm on the bow with a flashlight watching for lobster bouys as
we're making 15 knots towards shore. She pipes up "I don't want
to be a *****, but can we hurry it". Ok... now I'm watching for
lobster bouys at 31 knots.

We get to the beach, unload her, they head off to the hospital.
We unload the boat, hook up to the mouring, and hang out for
them to return. 3 AM they return with her and her stitches.

What happened?

She was bored and decided to cut open her glowstick. She had
a blunt tip knife and tried to slice it open. Took her finger to the
bone.

Now that we're well after the fact, there is never a lack of jokes.
The downside is the knife I inherited quickly after the incident is
banned from the boat! :)

-Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom