Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DROVE FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF FOR WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A GREAT NIGHT DIVE BUT FORGOT THE LIGHTS. STILL HEAR ABOUT THAT ONE AT LEAST TWICE A YEAR THE GOOD PART IS I AM NO LONGER IN CHARGE OF MAKING SURE THE LIGHTS ARE PACKED AND READY

I tried to grab a tank rolling out of the bed of my pickup parked on a boat ramp. Needless to say I was not able to stop it in time. It landed on the valve and bent it but didn't break it. A reg wouldn't seat properly on it and the valve cost me $50.00. I saw a guy leave a tank standing in the parking lot of a dive shop. He turned to talk to somebody and it fell over, rolled out of the parking lot and halfway across a 4 lane street with cars going by. We managed to catch it but boy was that high on the pucker scale.

I also once put a nice hole in the palm of my hand trying to remove a zip tie off of a mouth piece with a very sharp knife.

Scott:mean:

So it's not just me? I do appreicate everyone's honesty. I think this post is like peeing in your wetsuit: There are those that admit to it and those that lie about it. I've always said, "If you dive long enough you're going to do it all", (and I think I have).
But don't give up guys.....just when I think I've seen or done it all, I still see new things happening! Like the sign in Grand Cayman says, "Enjoy life. This is not a dress rehearsal!"
Norm

I am thrilled to be able to honestly say "No major fuepaws" so far. But then again, two evenings and four dives isn't saying much... Loved reading about it though. Makes me kind of look forward to diving, just to see what the !@$% will happen.
Dafydd

Don't waste eternity, because there's only one.

I guess you meant "Faux Pas"??? HEY... there's your first! Cool beans, you can join the rest of us now… :tease: (Ain't I a stinker???)

It's my second beach dive of my OW cert class. I finally found a great parking space in the neigborhood just above crescent cove in Laguna Beach, CA. I popped my trunk and pulled out my dive bag with all my skin gear and layed it down behind the car. Well there was about "half" a parking spot behind me and half in front so when a friend drove by I offered to pull forward and let him get in behind me. Let me tell ya, the safey glass in masks, it works! :upset: Thankfully I have those heavy duty Scubapro Jetfins that could withstand anything so they survived and the other gear (reg, BC = $$) was still in the car. Overall I only lost a $50 mask and was able to borrow an instructors for the dive.

Let it be a lesson to us all.. DON'T OFFER THE PARKING SPOT TO FRIEND! :D

=-) ucladiver.

Originally posted by Scottri
I tried to grab a tank rolling out of the bed of my pickup parked on a boat ramp. Needless to say I was not able to stop it in time. It landed on the valve and bent it but didn't break it. A reg wouldn't seat properly on it and the valve cost me $50.00.

had 4 tanks slide out back of van as my drive is on an incline ... stopped three. In this case batting .750 was not great ... vaalve went through my dress shoes and broke my toe :-(

I will start with watching our navigation instructor surface approx. 200 yds from the boat (under another pontoon style) and then swim back to the dive boat. His wife was bubbble watching and she was laughing the hardest when he got back.

There was the time in 35' and practicing out of air/ buddy breathing I exhaled to forcefully and the valve inverted so the next breathe was St. Lawerence H2O, barely enough reserve to clear the octo and then sstupid enough to do it again. I surfaced and returned to site with octo. moral is do this in ten feet and not 35' luckily I did not panic and surfaced normally.

Once out I was able to fix reg by flipping valve flat again.

I guess I’ve just been lucky, haven’t broken anything but I’m sure I’ve done my share of dumb things while diving. The following is my top ten list of stupid diver tricks:

1. Halfway through a back roll I discovered my feet were bare.

2. Looked up halfway through a night dive and discovered I was all alone. (had to hitchhike back to the hotel)

3. After completing a giant stride my vision was blurry, no mask!

4. Laying on the bottom with video camera to tape some garden eels, I felt sand on my belly where my weight belt should have been.

5. After completing a giant stride experienced a simulated out-of-air emergency.

6. Found lens cover still in place under water while a 6 ft hammerhead was approaching.

7. Solo diving about 100 yards from boat in Gulf of Mexico to see schooling hammerheads, large male hammerhead appeared in front of me, points his pectoral fins down, arches his back and swing head from side to side: I thought I was going to die and nobody knew where I was.

8. While solo diving, came time to return to boat, surfaced to locate boat, descended to 20 feet for return, after swimming a while and thinking I’m off track I surfaced again. This time no boat! After turning 180 degrees I found the boat was behind me. (Note: Items 8 and 9 took place on the same dive)

9. One summer day in Mexico following a heavy lunch I put on a wet suit for a dive, ended up feeding the fish my lunch.

10. Repeated the first item (no fins) more than once.

Miles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom