Eagles Nest Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2B417117-2786-4109-B572-5C8429FB84E7.jpeg
EF22696C-265D-4D33-942A-25D51F18966A.jpeg
2B417117-2786-4109-B572-5C8429FB84E7.jpeg
EF22696C-265D-4D33-942A-25D51F18966A.jpeg

Yeah, Dan, that's EXACTLY what I was saying. Good job reading between the lines.

For those who'd like to consider this seriously . . .

The idea that your bolting buddy will be close enough to grab on to is likely a myth. Bolters don't tab you on the shoulder before they take off. Unless you're looking right at them and they're no more than arm's-length away, they'll likely be out of your reach.

You also need to consider what the eventual outcome is. IF you do catch them and slow them down, can you get a reg in their mouth? Will they simply fight you off? (Remember, they're not acting rationally.) Will you end up with TWO victims instead of one? If you do slow them down but you can't get the reg in their mouth, will your actions end up drowning them when maybe they could have been saved even if they embolised? And even though they're bolting, everyone's assuming they're going to fatally embolise. Maybe, maybe not. I don't have any hard numbers but not every bolt ends up embolsised and not every embolism ends up dead.

This isn't a simple scenario with only one or two outcomes.

Well to put my tuppence in when I was about to bolt at ~40m I did get my buddies attention. He and another grabbed my fins. Instructor came over and managed my ascent. I nearly died anyhow but definitely would have if people hadn’t intervened. Stopping a bolting buddy is difficult and dangerous but can and has been done.

There’s no one answer to these things just an acceptance of the risk in trying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom