ear pain after diving hours ago, is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick:
Do I have to be certified to buy DAN insurance?

You don't need insurance to call Dan and ask medical advice. From what I hear, they are quite helpful.

I will get "swimmer's ear" easily.. Especially diving / swimming often. Someone suggested the vinegar / rubbing alcohol solution (typically mixed 50/50 or 75/25 -more alcohol) and I use EVERY time I get in the water. I bought a cheap pull top bottle at the dollar store and keep in my dive bag.

During my physical, I asked my doctor about this and he concurs, the alcohol helps to dry the ear, the vinegar helps to kill any bacteria (restore ph?).. (don't remember the exact wording but the Dr. did recommend using it..

He also stated to look at the ingredients of the commerical "swimmer's ear" products... they are typically around 95% alcohol.

Since I flush my ears out each / every time.. I have not had any ear issues..

Call DAN or your local ENT doc....

chrispete:
Nope, you can be a student and get it.
I had a LDS tell me that DAN was in trouble because of not paying their bills. He said some places that have the deco chambers will not take Dan anymore,,,,makes me wonder.

This has been discussed in several other threads. The reality is nothing like this rumour. Before passing on un-substantiated rumours, it is always wise to check them out.

countryboy:
I will get "swimmer's ear" easily.. Especially diving / swimming often. Someone suggested the vinegar / rubbing alcohol solution (typically mixed 50/50 or 75/25 -more alcohol) and I use EVERY time I get in the water. I bought a cheap pull top bottle at the dollar store and keep in my dive bag.

During my physical, I asked my doctor about this and he concurs, the alcohol helps to dry the ear, the vinegar helps to kill any bacteria (restore ph?).. (don't remember the exact wording but the Dr. did recommend using it..

He also stated to look at the ingredients of the commerical "swimmer's ear" products... they are typically around 95% alcohol.

Since I flush my ears out each / every time.. I have not had any ear issues..

Call DAN or your local ENT doc....

Been using this same formula through years of swimming, and snorkeling, and now in diving. Was recommended by my doc. Great stuff.

Right BoulderJohn, that's what I do too - refill the bottles with my home-made brew. My kids call it "Salad Ears" because of the vinegar - works great.

ok, just so everyone knows, you can perf your ear, and still hear...perfectly, as was my case, blew the ear at 50 ft, and was drinking salty water with my reg still in my mouth. Lost 4 weeks diving, but recovered fully.

Hi Patrick,
Yesterday was my first scuba class, and last night I had the exact same problem you did a couple of weeks ago. My husband headed downstairs and hit google in the middle of the night, and turned up your posting. Hearing about a similar experience, and reading the response from divindoc, was great - I was a lot less worried. Matt put a couple of drops of alcohol in, which at least alleviated the pain after a short time, although I still have that sense of pressure/fullness. If you've stumbled on any handy preventative or treatment tips since your experience (aside from the Swim-EAR, of course), I'd love to hear about them! Thanks,
- Holly

thecompound:
Hi Patrick,
Yesterday was my first scuba class, and last night I had the exact same problem you did a couple of weeks ago. My husband headed downstairs and hit google in the middle of the night, and turned up your posting. Hearing about a similar experience, and reading the response from divindoc, was great - I was a lot less worried. Matt put a couple of drops of alcohol in, which at least alleviated the pain after a short time, although I still have that sense of pressure/fullness. If you've stumbled on any handy preventative or treatment tips since your experience (aside from the Swim-EAR, of course), I'd love to hear about them! Thanks,
- Holly

Hi Holly,

I knew that I've got that problem when I had cold and dove (bad idea). It wasn't water getting in and stay there. So, for that, the preventative way is to not dive when I have cold.

If you have the same symptom as me, I can you that it takes a while to get back to normal. About a week after the incident, I could not equalize my ear as quick as usual. It hurt when applying pressure to my left ear. I had to very gently blow my nose when descending. However, I expect my left ear to get back to normal by this Thursday (that would be 2 weeks after the incident). I hope you and your husband will recover faster than me.

Patrick

I had the same problem last summer on a dive to just 25 ft to see a firetruck.I had a little discomfort equalizing descending, but i ascended a few feet and i was able to equalize.After surfacing i felt like i had swimmers ear.I tried every remedy i know to no avail.I thought i had a reverse block.I went to the local ER and doc discovered i had an ear infection aggravated by diving.He prescribed meds and i felt better in the morn.I had dove twice earlier in the day in water around 65 degrees.I didnt have a problem clearing on the previous dives.Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom