Equipment suggestions ---anyone???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay so now I am certified! Next step is pujrchasing gear. I need and all info you divers are willing to share regarding BC-regulators-computers and wet suits?????
Suggestions pleazzzzeee!!!:huh:

Congrats on your cert, welcome
We can be of more help if you outline the sort of diving that you anticipate you will be doing mostly. Quarries, Lakes, Ocean (warm/cold), Springs, etc. Any info you can provide will help everyone here give you the best info back. I am sure that you will get a flood of info to sift though soon enough.

I recommend the search function located at the top of the page!

Btw, welcome to diving and Scubaboard.

Rachel

Well the first thing i would suggest would be a BC. I would say go with a BP/W something simple and lot easier to use. I would say a AL backplate and OMS makes a great harness and wing. Then Regs, it depends if you are in cold or warm water. For cold water i would say Mares makes a great reg and so does Apex but i have seen alot of Scuba Pro Regs freeflow. Then from there decide on wetsuit or drysuit. It all depends on temperature and comfort. PM me and i will give you some more advice on some gear

There are 2 ways to do this.
1.Go out and buy all new gear and hope it works for you.(You are comfortable with it and easy to use,maintain and understand.)
2.Rent equipment that you would like to try and see how it works.
Personally,before I bought anything new,I would look at several things:
1.How often am I going to use it?Is it once a year or every day?
2.How easy is it to use and maintain?
3.How much am I willing to pay?Things can get expensive if you dont plan on using them all the time.
4.Can I rent it somewhere to try it out?
5.Where am I going to dive?
I would probably try and rent equipment the first time or 2 to see what is out there and what I like before I comit.
Some things like masks fins I would go to my LDS and get what I like.Somewill even let you try equipment out in a class setting.
As far as wetsuits,I would shop 2 or 3 ds to see what is out and what I like and fits me and my application the best.(example-I dive in southern florida atlantic and carribean waters.You might dive quarries.What works here wont work there.)
As far as a b/c and reg setup I would wait and see what is out there and initially rent different reg/bc setups and see what I like before purchasing.You can ALWAYS mix and match gear.
Every person on this site has their own preference for what they dive and what they like for different reasons.I doubt you would find 2 exactly the same setups from any 2 people on this site.(other than those bought at the same time for couples etc.)
IMHO buy the basics,mask,fins, snorkel,wetsuit,then rent a bc and reg for a while to see what you like and works for you.
PM me and I will give what I dive and why and also my opinion on what is good and what to stay away from.
What ever you do,DONT buy anything second hand from the internet from sites like ebay.You are better off new temp.with a warranty and all plus an lds you can question and see the item face to face.
BTW
welcome to the board

cap_bert:
Congrats on your cert, welcome
We can be of more help if you outline the sort of diving that you anticipate you will be doing mostly. Quarries, Lakes, Ocean (warm/cold), Springs, etc. Any info you can provide will help everyone here give you the best info back. I am sure that you will get a flood of info to sift though soon enough.
What he said.

Also, might help if you tell us what you liked or didn't like about the gear you were using during your course.

The gear you buy depends on a number of factors but I wouldn't get caught up in brands. Any of the more well known brands work pretty much just as well as one another if you keep them well maintained by the right people. Most people will tell you x brand is better than the next. Ask 100 people and you'll probably get 100 different answers as to why their gear is the best.

Buy soft gear (fins, mask, wetsuits) that is comfortable. This stuff is a must and is usually the stuff I won't go anywhere without.

Next buy hard gear (BCD, Regulator) depending on how much diving you are planning etc. If you are diving once a year on vacation I wouldn't buy this stuff. With servicing costs each year you're better off using rental gear. If you can't trust the dive companies rental gear you shouldn't be diving with them! If you are diving more often again get stuff that is comfortable for you. Some people like jacket style bcd's, some people like back inflation and others like the backplate and wing. Try some different stuff and then decide. What you like now may not be what you like a year from now but you can always change setups. For regulators get something suitable for cold water you may not be diving in it right now but you never know a cold water regulator can still be used in warm water but a warm water regulator may not work so well in cold water. Decide if you want entry level or high end. Personally I would choose something in between. But they all work some just breathe easier than others and supply more air if you need it.

If you want brands stuff like scubapro, zeagle, mares, aqualung, seaquest, aeris, apex etc are all good brands. Tusa also make great softgear.

Personally would support whatever one of your dive center stocks, that way you know they have qualified service technicians and spare parts.

Good Luck.

wanadive:
Okay so now I am certified! Next step is pujrchasing gear. I need and all info you divers are willing to share regarding BC-regulators-computers and wet suits?????
Suggestions pleazzzzeee!!!:huh:

Before you buy anything else I suggest the book Dress for Success by Dan MacKay. It's available from: https://secure.gue.com/catalog/order and some other places for about $25.

Back
Top Bottom