Ever been caught without FQAS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

15$ for three years. You have to prove that you've made at least 10 dives in the last three years to renew.

Sounds a lot like my fishing license that I buy every few years just before I visit my buddy's cottage...

It's a tax?

While I often dive the St Lawrence up to the Quebec border i have never visited the waters of Quebec. The requirement to get the FQAS licence has only deterred tourism to the area. In fact there are a several divers from Montreal that I have spoke to that do not have the FQAS licence and always travel to Ontario to dive.

While I often dive the St Lawrence up to the Quebec border i have never visited the waters of Quebec. The requirement to get the FQAS licence has only deterred tourism to the area. In fact there are a several divers from Montreal that I have spoke to that do not have the FQAS licence and always travel to Ontario to dive.

I taught there a few years ago I bought the FQAS , because I thought of the risk management aspect of not complying . But I will never buy one again Morrison quarry doesn't even ask to see it,

The issue is not the price... Its that we forbid divers to dive even if their training is recognized everywhere else in the world.

Once again, we as quebecers, are proving that we are not working toward inviting people in our province.

What is so special in qc that we have to get a liscence to dive. Ridiculous! Im happier diving in NL and in the rest of the world.

I would agree it wasn't the cost it was as an IT I thought I was good enough diver to dive in qc..........

Try and get through on the English side of the FQAS website and you will get no English. It's a money grab disguised as nanny state supervision following a fatality a number of years ago.

*Edit* well I see FQAS has entered the 21st century and now offers English on the English portion of their website.

I enquired with FQAS for a person or shop to get one of these tax cards and heard nothing back.

Last edited:
I don't know if it helps, but any shop in the Ottawa / Gatineau area can do this.

about 15$ and needs to be renewed every three years ( I dont remember if that was free or not). The money goes to the FQAS, a NPO which is in charge of studying diving deaths, and propose ways to reduce them (Quebec was one of the places with the most diving deaths per capita in the world). (they also have other jobs regarding diving)

According to the coroner reports, many of the fatalities before 2003 were due to people not trained for the QC waters. Either the divers were trained down south, or the QC schools weren't teaching about the particularities of Québec water (low vis, high current, cold water, thick gear, lots of weight). (most QC divers get their first training outside of QC).

One of the techniques to help reduce deaths was to impose this certification back in 2003. To obtain the full certification you must show proof of diving in cold water (a log with 5 dives with hood and gloves suffice) + a 25 question easy written exam.

following the implementation of the law, the amount of deaths while diving in QC decreased by over half (although no studies have been made to try to prove that this is due to the regulation : i.e. correlation does not mean causation)

There is no diving police, but if a dive store in QC lets you rent for diving in QC waters or suggest that you go dive in QC waters when they know you do not have the certification they can get in big trouble.

This situation may also cause trouble with your health insurance or life insurance if you require them following a dive accident.

Charters have (mostly) opposed the FQAS, suggesting that this certification affects the ability of new divers and tourist divers to dive in QC.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom