Ever get stung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you wearing an exposure suit ? Sea Wasp or MOW would probably not penetrate neoprene through to sting you in the belly. If it were a MOW you would probably see it either before or after unless it is a piece of broken off tentacle.

Stonefish or cone would probably get you in near convulsions very quicky. My guess would be some nasty species of sea urchins. The spines can easily penetrate neoprene but then you should be able to see the broken off tips embedded under the skin.

I have been stung by MoW across the neck, sea urchins several times , crown of thorns , and fire coral. the fire coral sting is nasty. The wound festered and took months to heal.

creamofwheat:
Oh oh, I got stung just last week when I was diving in Cozumel! The DM looked at it and he said it looked like a sting from some sort of worm, but he couldn't remember the name of it. Anybody know the names of any stinging worms in Cozumel? It hurt for a day, but it was fine the next day.

Sounds like they were describing a fireworm.

fireworm.jpg

Well, being the n00b that I am, I have never heard of, or seen, a "sea wasp". Probably something these Scubaboard dewds made up to scare the n00bs.....

Turns out they do exist, I was expecting something a bit scarier in the looks department. For the other n00bs check out this site:

http://www.extremescience.com/DeadliestCreature.htm

I hope to never see a sea wasp. :shakehead
you can keep em.

NetDoc:
man of war won't punture you. Maybe you ran into a scorpion fish?

We thought that might have been it as well. I didn't actually see what got me, as I had just picked a bunch of crap off the coral head and was using a fin in my hand to fan it all off. Just a big cloud of crap and then.............wham!

There are scorpionfish here, so that is a possibility. Small puncture about the size of an IV stick, very bright red though. 2 inch long welt with a dark, "slice" like line down the middle. ????

Now the damn thing just itches like hell and doesn't hurt anymore.

Mike Rushton

tzeyap:
Were you wearing an exposure suit ? Sea Wasp or MOW would probably not penetrate neoprene through to sting you in the belly. If it were a MOW you would probably see it either before or after unless it is a piece of broken off tentacle.

Stonefish or cone would probably get you in near convulsions very quicky. My guess would be some nasty species of sea urchins. The spines can easily penetrate neoprene but then you should be able to see the broken off tips embedded under the skin.

I have been stung by MoW across the neck, sea urchins several times , crown of thorns , and fire coral. the fire coral sting is nasty. The wound festered and took months to heal.

I do not wear a wetsuit or skin of any kind. Water temp is around 88 and much too hot for me. As for "protection" I usually only wear something on wreck dives.

Not an urchin, I went back and looked at the coral head and saw none. There were also no spines in the area I got hit. I have gotten sea urchin spines in my hand before, so I knew what to look for.

I WISH it had been fire coral. Fire Coral is like baby asprin and this sting was more like Morphine!

Mike Rushton

Can someone please post a picture of a sea wasp....Don't want to ever get close

though you only find Irukandji in Australia

Back
Top Bottom