Ever get stung?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I hope ScubaMike14 made out ok last summer w/ his sea sting.. He hasn't posted any SB since the day after his last post on this thread..... :shakehead :shakehead

creamofwheat:
Oh oh, I got stung just last week when I was diving in Cozumel! The DM looked at it and he said it looked like a sting from some sort of worm, but he couldn't remember the name of it. Anybody know the names of any stinging worms in Cozumel? It hurt for a day, but it was fine the next day.
Fireworm

Marine creatures I've been envenomated by:

Lionfish (Pterois volitans)
Fire Coral (Millepora sp.)
Bristleworms (Eunicea sp.)
Foxface Rabbitfish (Siganus vulpinus)
Common Jellyfish
Moon Jellyfish

I've also gotten a Vibrio infection and been bitten by another 20+fish species...often hard enough to draw blood. Only the last two on that list (the jellies), however, have I ever come in contact with in the wild. :wink: Some of us have dangerous jobs/hobbies. :)

Cheers,
Austin

I just looked at his profile, he has been online - "Last Online At: October 15th, 2006 06:33 PM" So I am sure he made out ok.

3-Ring Octopus:
Marine creatures I've been envenomated by:

Lionfish (Pterois volitans)
Fire Coral (Millepora sp.)
Bristleworms (Eunicea sp.)
Foxface Rabbitfish (Siganus vulpinus)
Common Jellyfish
Moon Jellyfish

I've also gotten a Vibrio infection and been bitten by another 20+fish species...often hard enough to draw blood. Only the last two on that list (the jellies), however, have I ever come in contact with in the wild. :wink: Some of us have dangerous jobs/hobbies. :)

Cheers,
Austin

How have you been bitten by so many fish?

Yes, lots of times.

Sea Urchin : somewhere last year, penetrated my gloves, my finger was swollen for about two weeks.

Hydroid : Same with sea urchin, too close, pushed by sudden current, nasty marks on my hand, needed two weeks to see it dissappear.

Just and still recovering : While holding on the reference line while diving some wreck, doing safety stop, something stung my lower face and neck. It was damn painful but couldn't see anything, first day was okay, second day was bloody itchy, and it looked scary too, still nursing and hoping that the patch is gone in these few days or people looking at me scared. Diagnoses from fellow divers; jellyfish, sea lice or phantom fire. Don't know which one is correct, see common doctor only.
Some advices would be good for future.

But, in spite of stung, I always get itch and read spot everytime I dive, I conclude it's some kind of allergic to sea water particles. Anyways to prevent that except quit diving?

thanks

DavidPT40:
How have you been bitten by so many fish?

He works at an aquarium retail store, and has been keeping tanks for several years. Despite all the funny bites and stings he sometimes comes home with, he still won't let me keep a blue ring octopus at home.

:D

Oh- and in keeping with the thread: worst sting I ever had was ascending into a lion's mane jellyfish while trying to push a student out of the way. I didn't realize that the two square inches of face that wasn't covered in neoprene was going to sting that badly for two hours.

I kneeled on an urchin while climbing over a jetty. Apparently I was lucky and had no spines break off in my knee. The wounds hurt for several days but cleared up without any problems.

I got nailed by a Lions Mane jellyfish in Hood Canal last summer. Most people get a small touch that hurts like a bee sting. This one found the few square inches I had exposed and lashed me from cheekbone to cheekbone across my upper lip.

We put vinegar and aloe on it with not much benefit. After we packed up and headed for home, I noticed that my breathing was getting a bit difficult. We stopped for lunch in Hoodsport and as we walked out I noticed that breathing was getting worse and the stinging was still there.

I had a doctor look at it but he was no help. The breathing returned to normal by the next day. My ENT doctor gave me an epi-pen just in case it happens again and I react badly.

I did a little research and found that the sting from the Lions Mane jelly attacks (guess what?) the breathing muscles in humans.

They tell me that those jellies like the murky water I was in at the time. Helps them to catch fish. What I tend to do nowadays is head for deeper, clearer water as soon as I can. I hope that helps this summer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom