Everybody else iced in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power is back on here finally, but I'm not sure how long it will last. The power line coming into the house has a tree sized limb hanging from it. It's nice to be able to use the whole house again. We were holed up in the bedroom with a kerosene heater.

Spring can't get here soon enough!

Glad to hear that everyone survived!
This whole thing makes me even happier that I have a generator on wheels...the truck. I know it wouldn't run the entire house but it should keep things warm.

I'm a neighbor to your west in NE Arkansas, and we got hammered! I live in Jonesboro, which is where the Weather Channel happened to be hanging out for a couple of days.

While our community is 100% back online as far as I know, we're still having problems due to trees continuing to fall, but those are mostly caused by everyone trying to clear the damage and not paying attention and doing it right.

There are outlying communities around here that have been told to not expect power for at least another month.

We personally lost power for 3 days, but since I own and operate a reefkeeping business and have roughly 1400g of saltwater in my home, even 12 hours was critical for us... We scrounged up as many propane cylinders, computer bateries, car batteries and voltage inverters as we could, just to try to keep the water temps up as high as possible... Ultimately I had 2 acuaculture systems drop to 51*, my Shark tank dropped to 58*, and my $20,000+ coral display system never fell below 71*. My total livestock losses are +/- $700, which is nothing at all in the grand scheme of things.

I too was finally able to locate a generator on our 3rd day without power, but as soon as I got it home ad unpacked, our power was restored. I went ahead and fueled it up anyway to have at the ready, then ended up loaning it to a friend that lives in one of the communities I mentioned above.

As bad as this storm has been, I could have been far worse when you stop to consider how many people (myself included) were having to heat portions of their homes with propane or kerosene heaters, without proper ventilation. A good friend of mine is a ER Nurse, and he says that while they had a lot of people arriving with Carbon Monoxide poisoning, he saw no recorded fatalities in the area.

-Tim

Well I'm defrosting the thick layer of ice off my car right now .... and this is TEXAS!!! What is wrong with this weather??? :depressed:

The magnetic fields are shifting, global warming due to a 100,000 year cycle, the Mayan calender ends Dec. 21st 2012, the seventh fire. The circle has come around to start all over again. Times are changing but what seems bad is actually a rebirth. It will not only be fine, but actually better.

I just got back from FL yesterday. I left on Jan. 31. I think I got power back on the 2nd for good (got it on Thurs. for about 12 hrs, then out again), or so that's what mom reported. I got through my Intro to cave training, but we ran out of time before we could finish Full Cave, so I'll have to go back down to finish it up.

The magnetic fields are shifting, global warming due to a 100,000 year cycle, the Mayan calender ends Dec. 21st 2012, the seventh fire. The circle has come around to start all over again. Times are changing but what seems bad is actually a rebirth. It will not only be fine, but actually better.

What are you talking about Dave? 2012 and the world comes to an end. Actually I'm not sure that it would be a bad thing.

I just got back from FL yesterday. I left on Jan. 31. I think I got power back on the 2nd for good (got it on Thurs. for about 12 hrs, then out again), or so that's what mom reported. I got through my Intro to cave training, but we ran out of time before we could finish Full Cave, so I'll have to go back down to finish it up.
Glad to see that you are back Tammy. Too bad that you didn't get to do full cave. Good excuse to go back though. I think I lost something on the Oriskany and need to go back and find it.

It was nice to meet you Tammy, although I must admit I find it ironic that a couple of divers from the midwest would meet in FL. Congratulations on your certification! -- Jim.

Long time no see Jim!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom