Exclusive Forums - A Question For The Moderators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what the reponse would be if there were a "Whites Only" Forum?

We can talk about how great it is to have private forums where one class of people can just talk about their issues without having to be "bothered" by diverse opinions expressed by individuals from other classes of individuals if any of us really believe that. But I doubt that is truly the case if people consider what they are really saying.

If we cannot insert any class of people (ie: whites, blacks, christians, jews, gays, heterosexuals, etc) into the phrase "_______ Only" and expect it to sound equally acceptable to all and have it be equally inoffensive to all, we need to seriously consider whether it is in fact discriminatory. One could argue that having a "Womens Only" forum where men are denied access and whose posts/opinions are removed clearly shows discriminatory intent.

The fact that a majority of opinion may tolerate or even encourage a particular form of discrimination because for some odd reason they see it as acceptable does not change the underlying discriminatory aspect of it nor does it lessen the harm imposed on those who are discriminated against. Now, we can argue how important it may be for women to have their own exclusive club to hang out in and how grossly unfair it would be for them to be denied the oppotunity to maintain exclusionary membership limits based soley on gender - about as successfully as we can argue that those poor long suffering white/racist country club members in the 1960's south deserved the same right to have a place they could hang out in free from the presence and opinions of black members. Predjudice is Predjudice even when you dress it up with feminism.

Similarly saying the board is privately owned and can do what it wants does not work either. There is a lunch counter from a southern diner in the Museum of American History that is there because someone made that point abundantly clear in the 1960's.

Title II of the Civil Rights Act requires that restaurants, hotels, theaters, sales or rental services, health care providers, transportation hubs, and other service venues afford to all persons full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, [and] facilities without discrimination or segregation.

Personally as a male, disregarding my status as a male with a MS in Counseling, I am offended and harmed by the implication that my opinions and apparently gender based lack of sensitivity would in some way damage the discussion in a "Womens Only" forum just because I have a penis and must therefore be like every other person with a penis. Sounds like predjudice and discrimination to me.

Can we get our heads out of our collective asses now? (An orifice possessed by both sexes, by the way, making neither sex immune from having their head up it.) Having a "Womens" forum is fine and announcing the fact to all that he or she is in the "Womens" forum is a great idea in order to let any visitors know that a degree of sensitivity to womens issues may be approriate. However banning or discouraging males from partcipating, or treating their threads and posts differently or with less courtesy or respect in that forum is clearly sexist and discriminatory and cannot be tolerated as all members of this board deserve and are entitled to equal access and protection in all of the forums.
While I don't disagree strongly with the sentiment here, to the extent that it makes a quasi-legal argument, I suspect that it is on shaky ground. Here is a case against Craig's List that might be relevant:

A federal appeals court dismissed a discrimination suit against craigslist, ruling Friday the online classified advertising site is immune from accusations that it violates the federal Fair Housing Act of 1968.
At issue is whether the site can be liable for allowing its customers to post discriminatory housing ads that say, for example, whites only, or those that forbid gays and lesbians. The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, in upholding a lower court judge, ruled craigslist should be treated like an internet service provider and hence is not liable for the postings of third parties.

Here's an excerpt from an article on a roommates.com lawsuit:

The court noted that dating sites that promote discrimination are perfectly legal, however -- since people are legally free to turn down dates for flimsy or racist reasons.
As for other websites, the court said the ruling is actually very clear.
"The message to website operators is clear: If you don't encourage illegal content, or design your website to require users to input illegal content, you will be immune," the court wrote.

Both those cases hinged on possible violations of the Fair Housing Act. I'm not a lawyer, but my quick search suggests that sex discrimination law confines itself to areas where actual disadvantage is at issue, like housing, employment, etc., rather than protecting the rights of men to weigh in on the burning issue of the she-pee. I don't think NetDoc and his lawyers will be losing any sleep over this one. And invoking Lester Maddox to break down the barriers to the Women's Only Forum risks trivializing the real history of racism in America.

Are male moderators allowed into the forum?

Or as a more general question, are non-DIR/Single/phillipino/whatever moderators allowed into the "exclusive" forums?

just wondering. . .
Some (restricted) forums have dedicated Moderators, others are handled by whoever has time.

Personally, it varies. Occasionally, I see an technical issue or question in a non-site support forum. I may send a PM or reply in the thread.

Sorry, I can't resist throwing in my .02 What a bunch of carry on over nothing!

If you want to communicate consider how you deliver the message. If you want to rant and blast people don't be offended when people rant, blast you back and ask you to get out of their sandbox!

Lets check our alarmist views at the door and perhaps even consider what message we are trying to convey to whom. Come in with both barrels flaming and you well get a predictable response. News flash folks, the existence of a gendre specific forum is not going to take us back into the dark ages!

Sometimes I want to talk to ladies about ladies issues sometimes I want to talk to men, work mates whoever. Sometimes my husband wants to talk to his male friends without me underfoot..... OMG! that is ok too!

If I want to put my head firmly up where the sun doesn't shine... well I can do that too but I am smart enough to know I will miss out on stuff doing that. This forum offers enough opportunity to enter enough threads that IMHO it is a waste of time worrying about where someone does or does not want me to be.

A federal appeals court dismissed a discrimination suit against craigslist, ruling Friday the online classified advertising site is immune from accusations that it violates the federal Fair Housing Act of 1968.
At issue is whether the site can be liable for allowing its customers to post discriminatory housing ads that say, for example, whites only, or those that forbid gays and lesbians. The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, in upholding a lower court judge, ruled craigslist should be treated like an internet service provider and hence is not liable for the postings of third parties.

The court noted that dating sites that promote discrimination are perfectly legal, however -- since people are legally free to turn down dates for flimsy or racist reasons.
As for other websites, the court said the ruling is actually very clear.
"The message to website operators is clear: If you don't encourage illegal content, or design your website to require users to input illegal content, you will be immune," the court wrote.

Both those cases hinged on possible violations of the Fair Housing Act. I'm not a lawyer, but my quick search suggests that sex discrimination law confines itself to areas where actual disadvantage is at issue, like housing, employment, etc., rather than protecting the rights of men to weigh in on the burning issue of the she-pee. I don't think NetDoc and his lawyers will be losing any sleep over this one. And invoking Lester Maddox to break down the barriers to the Women's Only Forum risks trivializing the real history of racism in America.
The Fed in me, the one that interprets regulations and compliance of vrious state programs with those regs for a living, would interept the impact of those rulings entirely differently.

In the first ruling, the curt has only said that a website can not be held liable for the discriminatory postings that members may make. That makes sense and in the case of SB, Pete goes one better by having mods who would quickly pull the posts once one was reported, and is in effect operating well above the minimum legal standard - a very good thing.

In the second ruling, the court is saying that as long a site does not encourage discrimination or require illegal content, the site is immune. That is where it would get fuzzy as it could be viewed that creating sub forums that can only be accessed by classes of people based on sex, race, etc, is encouaging discrimination, even if not actually practicing it (which is still a potentially separate issue).

Is it trivial? Perhaps, but where does it stop and when does it become non trivial? After all if you talked to many whites in the south in the 1950's, they would have viewed the issue of segregation as trivial as it was just impacting blacks and not whites. The "if it does not affect me, it is not a big deal" logic. A question to consider is could someone request to start a KKK dviver forum open only to KKK members? On the one hand - no, as it would create an environment that would encourage discrimination. On the other hand, if you let one group have their own forum and not another group are you discriminating? After all, the American **** Party clearly has a right to free speech and all the protections thereof even if they are pretty much by party platform discriminatory in their beliefs and practices. And freedom of speech is an issue the court consider to be very important.

In the case of such a request, the middle ground would perhpas be to do what we do in all the other forums that get volatile from time to time - moderate the hell out of it to ensure any posts violating the TOS are removed and the offenders disciplined and/or banned per the same rules that apply equally to all members. However the simpler solution and more common sense solution is to avoid the whole issue by not allowing forums that only members of a specific race, gender, etc can join. Which is where the women's only forum suddenly gets non-trivial for Pete and the board in its potential long term ramifications.

Babyduck's opt in suggestion is a good one. Make it an opt in forum *but* make it one anyone can opt into regardless of gender. It will eliminate the drive by posters but will not prohibit any one from getting access for legitimate reasons.

And again, to put it in perspective, the idea is not one of splitting legal hairs under the current and ever changing interpretation of the law but rather one of right and wrong and of having a policy that does not run the board aground or make it a potential target as a legal test case for internet forums sometime in the future.

In the second ruling, the court is saying that as long a site does not encourage discrimination or require illegal content, the site is immune. That is where it would get fuzzy as it could be viewed that creating sub forums that can only be accessed by classes of people based on sex, race, etc, is encouaging discrimination, even if not actually practicing it (which is still a potentially separate issue).
This is a correct analysis, in my view, and in fact, in the roommates.com ruling, the website was found to be discriminatory because it provided data-input areas (check-boxes for white, lesbian, female, etc.) that facilitated the discrimination. And that would seem to be analogous to creating a women-only forum. But it misses the important distinction, in my view, between denying somebody access to housing and denying somebody access to the she-pee (or whatever) discussion.

DA Aquamaster:
Is it trivial? Perhaps
Definitely trivial, and that is the important distinction that the law would make (I think!) and we reasonable ScubaBoard members should probably also make.

I should add that I agree with your intent, DA. I just think we should be mature enough to shrug our shoulders at some of the silliness that goes on and let those women kaffeeklatsch without us if it makes them happy .

Last edited:
What about social groups on the board that are invite only? does this violate the rules?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom