Exclusive Forums - A Question For The Moderators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geokr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I really enjoy a good debate, especially where various views can be brought under the light of scrutiny for all to see and evaluated by each for their merit. The livelier the better. I found an interesting topic in "New Posts" where all new posts appear. It lead to a new page in the Women's Forum (admittedly, I didn't catch that) where a poll was being taken regarding female-only trips. Above the poll question is a clear statement that "this is a public poll". After posting my response, some folks appeared to be overly challenged by it and basically said to get the hell out - this is for women only. By the way, I'm certain my statement was in full compliance with any code of conduct or standard of behavior this board requires. Someone also made a reference to a "Sticky" which explained the forum's rules. This Sticky with the rules wasn't and still isn't apparent on the page I was led to. After the less than warm reception I certainly don't want to continue with posting in this thread even though the premise of the thread, I felt, was pretty silly and narrow-minded.

The issue I'm asking the moderators to decide on is should there be exclusivity in any of these forums? Should only select people be allowed to post in certain forums? Are some areas the exclusive domain of one interest group, in this case, of one gender. Or, should all forums be allowed free speech as long as it's within reason and while remaining within the forum's topic. If you decide there is no reason for outsiders to post in certain forums then I would suggest that you restrict even the very access and viewing of these exclusive posts to forum members only. It's far too easy for outside people to join in, people who, in every other area of this board, are used to thinking that they're free to join in on any and all manner of conversation without censure. Don't even allow the viewing of this select group's mutterings. And don't allow the casual viewer, especially a new guy like me, to get so easily sucked into such a "restricted area" as I was.

I don't think that this kind of exclusivity would be consistent with the intent or spirit of this group's charter. If they even really exist, I would recommend that you remove these restrictions and let people enjoy the benefit of all points of view and all levels of experience.

Your call, moderators, and I'll play by the rules.

I think your first sentence explains it all "I really enjoy a good debate"

Go to rec.scuba-google groups, it's a great place for people who enjoy great debates.

The chixs forum is interesting enough with out us guys, it's got more action than the super bowl. Waterbearer starts it up, declares herself head chick, divegirl4u makes 90% of the posts, they get told they can't spell chicks with a ck and have to use an x. Speargirl moves in and recovers the fumble. Stay tuned for the second half

The refs call offsides, a timeout is called, the owner of the stadium comes in and fires the quarterback..................

Last edited:
The issue I'm asking the moderators to decide on is should there be exclusivity in any of these forums?...
I'm not going to speak to the Scubachixs forum as that's currently under review, discussion and some renovation as I write this. As the Scubachixs forum is currently publically available, that would explain why you were allowed to vote there and post there.

However there are a certain number of private forums. I run one, AZScuba, it's for exclusive use of our dive club based in Arizona. To minimize non-related postings, it is opt-in only and you have to live here to join. I don't think you can see our posts, and I'm quite certain you can't post in the forum. The Tyndall Flight club is another.

There are other subject specific forums on Scubaboard as well - I2I comes to mind, it's open to instructors only. So that they can safely discuss issues with instruction apart from the general board populace.

This link will show you all of the currently restricted forums. Most are fairly self-evident as to why. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/profile.php?do=editusergroups

hth,

Your call, moderators, and I'll play by the rules.
Whew! That was close. I thought you were making demands! :D

ScubaBoard contains a VARIETY of divers and interests. Some need more monitoring than others, and some are closed outright save to the select group they cater to.

Take our Instructor's Forum. You have to be a Dive Master or higher to get in there. This way our instructors can talk about their students with little chance of bruising their already fragile egos.

Now take the PUB... Please, just take it. :D It's one of our double opt in forums and EVERYONE is allowed in there. But in order to keep it from being searched by the bots (we don't want to be known for our raucous humor) we keep it that way.

If EVERYONE were just like you, then we could run things just the way you would like it. But everyone is different, so we have areas that have differing rules to accommodate all of these differences. Viva le difference!

diversteve - Thanks for the links. I looked at them and agree that these ought to be private if that's the preference of the constituents. If these are truly restricted by the preference of those members and require some form of admission for any reason then it would seem only reasonable that their communications are kept private, exclusive to that group and not viewable to the general audience. No problem with that. This is not the case here. This "group's" posts are in the public domain and viewable to all. No restrictions or labels indicating "privacy" are apparent on the pages. There is nothing to indicate, beyond some well-hidden sticky somewhere, that it isn't an open forum. Again - if the ladies in this group want to have a cozy little place to do their business they should have such a place like the others on the list you provided. Keep the rest of us out of it. Otherwise, free speech should reign in no less measure than any other public place on this site. By the way, just to set the record straight, there were at least two other males posting in that forum and, also, I didn't place a vote. It appears to me that they just didn't want to hear anything that challenged the premise of the poll and started with the "get out of my space" nonsense. I think you should accord them the same status as the other private groups on the list and they are welcome to it. But, if they want to take their private polls in public places viewable to "all" who frequent these many public areas looking for advice, shared experiences and all the other benefits this community provides including the free exchange of ideas, then "all" should have the same freedoms as anywhere else in the public places on this site. As for the ladies in this group, let them have their private space and, please, keep the rest of us out of it.

It appears to me that they just didn't want to hear anything that challenged the premise of the poll and started with the "get out of my space" nonsense.
The way it appears to me is that you started off from word one as a jerk. You weren't going for a debate, you were going for argument.

From my interaction with that group I get the feeling that if you go in there with some humor and tact you'll get the same. If not you'll get the same as what you gave.

I just think that it was a matter of approach on geokr's op in the polling area. The poll from what I read was to get input from the individuals involved in the group, not to offend anyone. By stating, "they" you are speaking about the entire group and assuming that you were run off because of being a male. Maybe it was just the beginning of your post that led to your less than warm reception. Starting your post with...What the hell is...may cause people to be less accepting of you.

I just think that it was a matter of approach on geokr's op in the polling area. The poll from what I read was to get input from the individuals involved in the group, not to offend anyone. By stating, "they" you are speaking about the entire group and assuming that you were run off because of being a male. Maybe it was just the beginning of your post that led to your less than warm reception. Starting your post with...What the hell is...may cause people to be less accepting of you.

No - stay focused. There is only one issue here, consistently stated and that's about the freedom within public areas to express yourself equally and without restriction as long as it's within the guidlines. If you want to make another issue about the "what the hell" predicate then that's another topic for the "Thin Skinned Forum". I'll agree with you that I might have been a bit challenging - so what. The whole premise of this deserves a challenge and, sir, here you have it. Rather than discuss style or resort to name calling as one has above, address the isssue of restraining the expression of ideas in a public forum. That's what this is about. It's not about the right to have private forums, not about whether you can have fun in an all female, or male exclusive environment, nor about the use of the term "what the hell" and forgive me if I offend you with such strong language that you're not accustomed to, it's about whether we have in this forum a public group who imposes their own version of private rules, applied subjectively. Give me your reasoned opinion on that, sir.

This is a privately owned forum. There are no rights proffered other than those I provide within the framework of MY forum. :D When I come into YOUR forum, I will be sure to abide by the customs and rules therein. While you are in mine, I expect no less from you.

I hope this clarifies reality for you a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom