Exercise before/after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stretching before a dive would seem to be OK to me.

Stretching before a dive would seem to be OK to me.
Yes, I agree. Stretching before any kind of physical activity, including diving, seems like a good idea to me also. :coffee:

Yes, I agree. Stretching before any kind of physical activity, including diving, seems like a good idea to me also. :coffee:

Generally its not recommended unless you've properly warmed up first with 5-10 mins of cardio. Stretching cold muscles can hurt them and at best provide no benefit.

Depends on the type of stretching - static stretching can be done whenever. Dynamic/isometric stretching requires warmup.

That isnt what anyone is advising now, stretching full stop on cold (static or dynamic) is suggested now to have no benefit and increase injury risk.

Hehehehe
But then the average navy diver is most likely fitter than most recreational divers; I'd think that would mess with the numbers and conclusions in a different way altogether.
:coffee:

So very true. The couch and remote are not a part of Navy equipment. :D

On a few occasions we went anywhere from 10K' to 40K' in non pressurized aircraft, but on O2 after diving all day. The dives were 35' or less but with several hours of down time. We had no ill effects but it may have killed a couch potato. We got away with a lot back then. :wink:

Gary D.

That isnt what anyone is advising now, stretching full stop on cold (static or dynamic) is suggested now to have no benefit and increase injury risk.

Counter intuitive and sounds like a fad to me. Stretching muscles hot or cold makes them more able to deal with vigorous activity.

I don't buy the line. Soz.

I'd be interested to see some data to support your assertion.

Edit:
"The research included here conveys that certain techniques and protocols have shown a positive outcome on deterring injuries. As a result, a warm-up and stretching protocol should be implemented prior to physical activity. The routine should allow the stretching protocol to occur within the 15 minutes immediately prior to the activity in order to receive the most benefit. In addition, current information regarding improvements in flexibility is reviewed."
Source: Woods, K., Bishop, P., & Jones, E. (2007, September). Warm-Up and Stretching in the Prevention of Muscular Injury. Sports Medicine, 37(12), 1089-1099. Retrieved January 30, 2009, from SPORTDiscus database.

Hmmm...interesting.

Last edited:
Exercise routines, like modern fashion, changes daily, depending on which guru or hollywoodite you are listening to. Go to any gym or track meet and tell me that no one is stretching these days before working out and I might pay attention to such a silly argument.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom