Exercise before/after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The research included here conveys that certain techniques and protocols have shown a positive outcome on deterring injuries. As a result, a warm-up and stretching protocol should be implemented prior to physical activity. The routine should allow the stretching protocol to occur within the 15 minutes immediately prior to the activity in order to receive the most benefit.

As stated in the quote, I believe the argument is that you should warm up then stretch. I do not think that anyone is advocating not stretching. My wife and I always do a vigerous 5-10 minute walk prior to stretching. This has kept us injury free for the past 30 years, 6 marathons, countless 10Ks, numerous century bike rides and several triathlons.

As stated in the quote, I believe the argument is that you should warm up then stretch. I do not think that anyone is advocating not stretching. My wife and I always do a vigerous 5-10 minute walk prior to stretching. This has kept us injury free for the past 30 years, 6 marathons, countless 10Ks, numerous century bike rides and several triathlons.
Fair enough. I guess it depends on the kind of warm up one is talking about. Starting a brisk walk or a nice warm-up swim, then doing some stretching before heading into the new Navy Seal endorsed exercise program you found on Google does seem to me to be reasonable. However, simply hitting the treadmill and starting a good paced run that puts immediate stress on cold muscles and calling that a warm-up because it's followed by some stretches? I dunno...more power to those that want to do it that way, I'll just be here on the side taking it easy, warming and lubing up my joints and muscles slowly and gradually.

Maybe it's just personal choice. We're digressing from the OP's thread anyway so </hijack> :coffee:

The single best thing you can do to greatly reduce your exposure to a DCS event is to drink plenty of water. I know this may not sound like a big deal to some of you, but it is without doubt the most ignored preventative measure to divers. Some of you who go on a vacation, and log 5 or more dives a day, without taking your surface interval breaks to drink at least 500ml of water or other non-alcoholic drink, are raising your risk of a DSC hit by a large margin.

Exercise and other strenuous activities before, or more importantly, after diving has its risks. But those risks can also be reduced by making sure that during your exercise, and after, you make sure to rehydrate properly!

Exercise after diving is strongly advised against, mainly because of the possibility of the nitrogen in solution forming bubbles because of cavitation caused by rapidly flexing muscles and increased blood flow. Now the simple fact that more nitrogen in solution will translate into a greater risk, simply means that if you do one or two dives well into the NDL limits, your risks are far less than someone who is on a dive vacation, does 5 or 6 dives in a day, then decides to play a game of beach volleyball.

In short, drink lots of fluids, and play smart.

I totally agree. Also, I have found that eating slightly more salt with my food when diving multiple dives also helps me to stay more hydrated - I don't visit the head so often even though I drink more water. Maybe it's just my imagination ;o)

Hmmm, don't want to continue hijack, but for clarification (and I'm not speaking from a position of any kind of authority here) normally my stretching is for the benefit of my tendons/ligaments not the muscles per se. Blood supply is fairly limited to tendons/ligaments so I'm not entirely sure what warmth (and my understanding of this is increased blood supply) will add to the process of stretching them. This is from a layman's perspective - I don't have any specific understanding of physiology - but the most obvious point about stretching in order not to do yourself an injury is to stretch the tendons/ligaments slowly before stretching them fast (real activity that includes bursts of fast energy). It loosens them up.

I can't see any disadvantage to increasing blood supply through gentle exercise (like vigorous walking) prior to stretching.

But I can see plenty of down sides to engaging the main event (like sprinting or finning against a current) without stretching first. But as per Meli's comment, this is way digressing. It's much more interesting to hear about the potential relevance of exercise to DCI. I had no idea. And I'll relax and enjoy my beer all the more knowing that I'm actually 'looking after myself' :).

Course, it does raise the question about multiple dives per day. Is that considered exercise in the same way as land based exercise or is it that because you're under pressure and the nitrogen is dissolved that the risks are not comparable?

J

Hmmm, don't want to continue hijack, but for clarification (and I'm not speaking from a position of any kind of authority here) normally my stretching is for the benefit of my tendons/ligaments not the muscles per se. Blood supply is fairly limited to tendons/ligaments so I'm not entirely sure what warmth (and my understanding of this is increased blood supply) will add to the process of stretching them. This is from a layman's perspective - I don't have any specific understanding of physiology - but the most obvious point about stretching in order not to do yourself an injury is to stretch the tendons/ligaments slowly before stretching them fast (real activity that includes bursts of fast energy). It loosens them up.
J

Let's also not forget age as a factor. When we run with our 24 year old daughter, she stretches 1/3 the amount that my wife and I do. Not certain if it's the tendons, ligaments or muscles, but one (or all) just aren't as limber as they once were.

When it comes to DCI and exercise, I wonder how much age comes into play. Do younger bodies react the same as our older wore-out bodies (assuming the same level of fitness)?

Stretch all you like, take a brisk walk if you feel it calms and prepares you, but make sure you keep well hydrated.

If you consider multiple dives a day strenuous exercise, then I would recommend reducing the number of dives you do to a more comfortable level. It's not a race, and no one is keeping score. We dive for fun and adventure, so lets keep it fun and keep withing the limits we know we can handle.

If you feel that a dive that requires you to fight a heavy current may over stress you, then the prudent thing to do is to choose a dive that avoids heavy current. Now I don't mean you personally when I use the word "you", I am speaking (writing) to those who are reading this in general.

Let's also not forget age as a factor. When we run with our 24 year old daughter, she stretches 1/3 the amount that my wife and I do. Not certain if it's the tendons, ligaments or muscles, but one (or all) just aren't as limber as they once were.

When it comes to DCI and exercise, I wonder how much age comes into play. Do younger bodies react the same as our older wore-out bodies (assuming the same level of fitness)?

Age can be a factor, but more importantly, it comes into play when dealing with reduced circulation, primarily in the extremities.

I dive mainly in strong currents. That's where the big things are. Yes, shallow me.

My question really was, that if exercise after diving increases the risk of DCI whether diving after diving is considered exercise.

Well, yes it is considered exercise. But that is what is called circular logic, and leads nowhere. Exercise after or during diving is NOT a primary factor in DCS, excess nitrogen, rapid ascent, dehydration, and even cold temps will be greater factors when dealing with DCS. Exercise is a "contributing factor" and in and of itself when coupled with dives done within the NDL limits, will pose a very slim risk.

In short their are far better ways to get yourself bent than exercising after or during multiple dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom