Exploring some back-up / redundancy options… thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am considering the following gear arrangements:

1. Wrist mounted A.I. Primary computer (Aeris OLED 300 )

2. Either keep my current consul A.I. Sherwood Wisdom ll as back-up

3. Or, sell Sherwood Wisdom ll, use an SPG I currently own, and purchase a Suunto Vyper wrist mount as computer BU.
(Hence two wrist mounts with one as an A.I.)

Either way I would have a hose connected to the first stage:
1. Small analog SPG or
2. Sherwood Wisdom ll

My thoughts are that either way I have the hose attached to the first stage, the working unit is simply a little smaller with an SPG than a Sherwood so I might as well use the Sherwood Wisdom ll and thus eliminate the need for two rather bulky wrist units.

Fred Garvin

If you choose 2 different computers ensure they are using the same algorithm otherwise there is little point. Also, personally if you don't trust AI enough that you need back up you've lost one of the benefits of AI. I default to a simple spg and awareness of consumption/depth/time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is "whatever works" for you.

I use a Suunto Cobra (console AI computer) as my "primary" (or is it secondary?) SPG -- while I actually check my wrist mounted Vytec during a dive. BUT when (not if, when) the Vytec loses sync, I have my "primary" Cobra to check. I've also had the issue where my buddy's computer has failed (or been forgotten) so I give away my Vytec and rely on the Cobra for the dive.

As long as you have the console, why not use it?

I am considering the following gear arrangements:

1. Wrist mounted A.I. Primary computer (Aeris OLED 300 )

2. Either keep my current consul A.I. Sherwood Wisdom ll as back-up

3. Or, sell Sherwood Wisdom ll, use an SPG I currently own, and purchase a Suunto Vyper wrist mount as computer BU.
(Hence two wrist mounts with one as an A.I.)

Either way I would have a hose connected to the first stage:
1. Small analog SPG or
2. Sherwood Wisdom ll

My thoughts are that either way I have the hose attached to the first stage, the working unit is simply a little smaller with an SPG than a Sherwood so I might as well use the Sherwood Wisdom ll and thus eliminate the need for two rather bulky wrist units.

Fred Garvin

I love these kinds of discussions. I've been through this process 100 times myself.

In my opinion, which is only one man's opinion:

- dump the AI
- keep two of the three computers. I would keep the Suunto as primary and which other one gives you a warm feeling as backup. Sell the third on ebay.
- reduce the console to being just an SPG

As a general rule, reduce, reduce, reduce. You have a lot a stuff. My personal approach -- Hogarthian approach --would be to reduce that to what you *need*... and to then be merciless in making decisions. Sell everything you don't need.. everything. Take nothing under water with you that has no clearly defined function.

R..

My vote is go with the wrist mounts and use a small spg instead of the console. This give you the benefit of being more streamlined and as mentioned above, you can loan one out to a buddy if they have a failure.

I would caution about mixing the Aeris and the Suunto. I'm fairly confident that they both use a proprietary algorithm so they will never agree. I would suggest either getting an Aeris to match the A300 or, find 2 computers that use a known algorithm.

Just noticed that the Vyper does have guage mode so I suppose you could just always use it in gauge mode. That's how I use my backup computer.

Last edited:
Now folks,

This is EXACTLY why I LOVE this forum and ScubaBoard! Others who share my deeply ingrained desire to analyze and ponder the minutiae of gear. To contemplate the various options, boyzz toys, set-up arrangements and the thought process behind each, now that is satisfying to me too.

Thanks for the input to all.

Fred Garvin, M.P. (SNL 1979)

My vote is go with the wrist mounts and use a small spg instead of the console. This give you the benefit of being more streamlined and as mentioned above, you can loan one out to a buddy if they have a failure.

I would caution about mixing the Aeris and the Suunto. I'm fairly confident that they both use a proprietary algorithm so they will never agree. I would suggest either getting an Aeris to match the A300 or, find 2 computers that use a known algorithm.

Just noticed that the Vyper does have guage mode so I suppose you could just always use it in gauge mode. That's how I use my backup computer.

Excellent advice regarding disparate algorithms, you are correct the Sunnto line uses a different one than Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis line.

I did ponder that too, but thought using a more conservative unit such as the Sunnto may be beneficial in the event of a primary computer failure.

As for, "My vote is go with the wrist mounts and use a small spg instead of the console. This give you the benefit of being more streamlined and as mentioned above, you can loan one out to a buddy if they have a failure."

If I follow your suggestion I would have:

1. An analog SPG hanging off my back connected to the First Stage
2. Two wrist mounted computers , one that is wireless A.I. the other simply a stand-alone wrist mount.

(3 items total : 1 hose + 2 wrist units)

versus:

1. One hose connected. A.I. console
2. One wireless wrist mount, A.I. computer

(Two items total : 1 hose + 1 wrist unit)

Seems like option #2 is more streamlined and simple.

The Sherwood Wisdom Console is not that much bigger than my analog Highland SPG.

I could dump the SPG and Sherwood Wisdom console and use the Aeris OLED 300 Wrist A.I. and a back up wrist A.I.

If things went to Sht, I would simply abort the dive and not know my remaining air pressure.

I have experienced a total Sherwood Wisdom failure and like redundancy as a result.

Garvelous

I am considering the following gear arrangements...

I would suggest you consider the following questions: How likely is a failure? What is the worst outcome if I have a failure?

Without knowing the type of diving you do, I think you're considering more redundancy than is required given the probable answers to the above questions

Back
Top Bottom