Failed PADI Rescue....now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want to complain to PADI about standards but yet you don't even know what the standards are. As an open water instructor you are taught how to conduct open water to divemaster courses which includes the recue diver course so get your facts straight. Just because the instructor is 20 years old means nothing he obviously has more experience than you, do you know exactly when he started diving and how many dives he has. So go ahead complain to PADI they will look into the problem but with how you are acting on here you will just make yourself look like as was stated earlier in the thread about the new diver misunderstanding wanting an easy way out.

Now youre complaining about the shop not refunding you money for unsed equipemnt well tough you are the one who rented it and did not use it when someone else could have possibly come in rented it and used it during the time you had it. Its like if you rent any other item keep it dont use it and cry you want your money back even though it was in your posession.

When renting dive equipment you should also be checking the equipment yourself for noticeable problems ad also when you set everything up checking fr leaks or further issues. If you knew there was a hose leak when you got in the water you should have notified your instructor not run low on air. Im betting he breifed you that you were doing a wreck dive, if you were not comfortable you should have told him before hand.

Being a rescue diver also means noticing problems before they happen, granted you were still taking your AOW course but still as a AOW diver you should already know that as well.

If you were having an issuenwith the rescue breaths in the pool you should have confronted the instructor to ask the others to give some space while you were practicing in the pool, but same time in a real situation things can become even more hectic and maybe worse than a fee kicks or splashes of water.

Now you dont need 5k to get good equipment and buying the best to make you look like thep best doesnt make you the best.

Since the OW course you learn to check your own equipment and your buddy's, and to always check your air, depth and time. Don't make this a personal thing against your instructor or other people posting. Safety is first. Dive a lot, get comfortable, practice and prove yourself and then the instructor that you can do it. You should not take crap from anyone, but you should also know when to listen.

P.S. Try downloading OW, AOW or Rescue DVDs and watch the bits you have doubts with.

I don't want to sound negative or hash, but I think OP really needs take a step back to evaluate if you are really comfortable doing cold water dives. I am NOT a believer of the statement as PADI put it "everyone can be a diver". In fact, I don't believe everyone can be a cold water diver. I have known/seen/heard way too many incident in my home water, including one of my friends. Diving is sport that takes certain amount of repect, commitment and physical fitness to do safely. After all, in a deep, cold, dark, low viz water, it can be frightening.

I am not saying OP can't do it. It is just say if you are commit to do it, you need to find an instructor that is willing to work with you and be honest with you. And you will probalby need towork hard for it.

The more I read of this thread, the more I envision the OP as being pretty young. It is a typical characteristic of the young to believe that they know what is going on, and anyone who disagrees with them is misguided . . .

I do agree that most people who are well taught should master the material of a class within the normal time and effort that is envisioned for a student in that class. That depends on a few things, though. It depends on having mastered the prerequisites -- how did someone who didn't pass AOW end up in Rescue? It depends on having a student who is sufficiently motivated to put in what is envisioned as an average effort for the class, which we can't evaluate from here. And it also depends on having a student who doesn't have some kind of physical or mental barrier to completing the class in a normal fashion.

Here, we have a student who has stated he or she finds simply managing getting into the equipment and getting it to the water to be a huge challenge. In my limited experience as a 5 year DM, I will say that students who are exhausted and demoralized by simply getting into their gear and walking in it rarely do extremely well in the water. There is a certain degree of strength and fitness required to be a diver. A couple of years ago, we referred a student to a warm water instructor, because despite the efforts of her first instructor AND our best and most patient efforts, cold water exposure protection and equipment seemed beyond her at the beginning diver level. I still hope that, having successfully completed her course in warm water, she will eventually be able to expand her sphere of competence to handle the physical challenges of cold water, which is what she wanted to do.

We also have a student who has demonstrated the single most dangerous quality a diving student can show, which is panic. And it is one thing to have an OW student, say on dive two, lose their composure and want to bolt if they choke themselves during a mask skill. It is a different thing to have an AOW student panic and bolt from depth -- this is one of the absolute best ways to end up with a dead diver. If I were an instructor, such a student would be recommended a significant period of skill-building and experience diving before trying the challenge again, and I would want to dive with and evaluate the student before repeating the dive and skills, and be sure that checking one's gas had been absorbed as a habit, and that the diver appeared to have a lower anxiety level before going deep.

demed wrote a long post suggesting that all the failures are the instructor's; some may be, but it is unreasonable to expect that all students, no matter how much time or effort they require, should be taught within the fee schedule of the initial class. I agree that all students should be offered the opportunity to continue to work and continue to learn . . . but the time and effort of the instructor which lies outside of the original class schedule should receive some remuneration. And I live that belief -- when I had trouble passing my Rec Triox class, I eventually refused to do any more evaluation dives with the instructor unless he allowed me to pay him, because I felt he had put in FAR more effort and time than the class fee merited.

I think that, many times, these stories have two sides, but as this thread has progressed, it looks more and more as though there is only one story here. We have a student who is in poor shape to do what he has embarked upon doing; who has demonstrated some serious faults in learning and/or temperament; who has been informed by his instructor/s that he falls so far short of the standard of performance that the certification cannot be granted -- and worst of all, the student feels ill-treated by this. A combination of lack of preparation, lack of aptitude, and poor attitude is possibly insurmountable. The instructor/s may have been doing this student a favor.

Please close this thread as I'll no longer be diving. Everyone here can very easily point out faults without even knowing anything about me. I don't think I was treated the same as everyone else in my class due to my lack of confidence. If I ever do take up diving again (a far stretch) then it will be in another country with another shop and instructor. For anyone else taking the rescue course it's not as enjoyable as what the instructors make it out to be. In the end when you think you have done everything right they bring you aside and tell you that you have to do the course over again. This is why I'd never want to be an instructor. They think they know everything but really they don't. Who am I to say though, I'm just the stupid diver.

Selling your gear?! Wow. You can't enjoy diving unless you pass the PADI Rescue course? There's a lot more to diving than that. You're trying to pass a course that only a small fraction of all divers ever take, and you're doing it in the relatively challenging conditions of the Northeast. If you never liked diving, then quit and sell your gear. If you actually enjoyed it, then the hell with PADI courses--just continue to go diving and continue to enjoy it. Go wherever the diving takes you. Local diving is a luxury that most of us don't have access to. Most of us have to travel to go diving. Go down to the FL Keys or something and relax.

If I wanted your input I would've asked for it.

You mean, like posting a thread in an online scuba community with 245,261 registered members?

---------- Post added October 7th, 2014 at 09:19 AM ----------

This is why I'd never want to be an instructor...

Is there really any risk of that happening?

Back
Top Bottom