Feb 19 2017 Cozumel diving fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im interested in why you couldn't get her to the surface if you would share?

We were diving with friends on a private boat. Diving aluminum tanks which we don't usually dive. Both of us were underweighted. I could not get that groups attention without losing sight of her, the current was probably 3 knots. Doing fine on our own, but even with fully inflating both our BCs we could not get her off the reef. We could not inflate her BC, decided it would be better to get more help. I don't know for sure, but I suspect her lungs were full of water. She was just too heavy for us.

Thank you for sharing this!

We were diving with friends on a private boat. Diving aluminum tanks which we don't usually dive. Both of us were underweighted. I could not get that groups attention without losing sight of her, the current was probably 3 knots. Doing fine on our own, but even with fully inflating both our BCs we could not get her off the reef. We could not inflate her BC, decided it would be better to get more help. I don't know for sure, but I suspect her lungs were full of water. She was just too heavy for us.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if she was seriously overweighted? This would explain not being able to get her up more so than lungs full of water.

This type of scenario is something to take into account when choosing BC lift capacity. Do you have enough lift to not only get yourself to the surface but can you also support another diver?

Such a distressful experience. Thanks so much for sharing your first hand information with us. I don't mean to second guess your efforts as it seems like you two tried your best to help the lady, but I do wonder if you ditched her weights? Sad that she was alone.
The island does not like this kind of news to get out.
Yeah, it's bad for business.

Such a distressful experience. Thanks so much for sharing your first hand information with us. I don't mean to second guess your efforts as it seems like you two tried your best to help the lady, but I do wonder if you ditched her weights? Sad that she was alone.

Or even better to also remove her out of the BCD. Most of BCDs have the snap-on shoulder & waist straps.

@Ravenware I think you did well and everything you needed to do. A ripping current,
about 4-6 lbs underweighted you certainly did not need to put more stress on yourself or your husband.

Hopefully you both carry and use DSMBs (my personal rant on Cozumel divers).

Anyway, thanks again for the information. We have more quality information about this
incident than nearly any. Thanks you as well @Brianh1 we really appreciate you as well.

Our thoughts and prayers to the family.

Sorry that you had to go through that. Take heart in knowing that you made every effort you could for a stricken diver. I am glad you are talking about it, either publicly or just between friends. Thanks for sharing your experience and thanks for making an attempt to rescue this victim. The currents in Cozumel can make it difficult for a healthy diver, let alone a rescue.

Sorry for your bad time. Did you release her weights, belt or integrated?

Sorry for your bad time. Did you release her weights, belt or integrated?
I don't mean to second guess your efforts as it seems like you two tried your best to help the lady, but I do wonder if you ditched her weights? Sad that she was alone.

Post #10 says she was recovered with her weights on. As to whether anyone tried to hide it under the rug...it WAS reported in the local media (see post #15). Sorry that it wasn't in English or that AP didn't pick it up. Or that the dive op didn't take out an ad...:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom