Suggestion Feedback on keeping ScubaBoard members

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
gypsyjim

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This question is directed at all members, new and old. It is actually a multiple part question, and is designed to get us all thinking about what ScubaBoard is, or could be for someone just discovering us today or tomorrow.

Two weeks ago on Utila Colleen and I were part of 4 couples with no previous contact who were diving on the same boat for a week, so we had lots of time to chat. It turned out that 5 (6 including myself) of the 9 divers including the DM, were all members of ScubaBoard at one time or another, but I was the only actively participating SM user.

A subsequent conversation with a friend who is also a moderator, has had me thinking about this, so here are my questions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) What attracted you to ScubaBoard in the first place?

2) Are you satisfied that the board addresses your needs adequately? And if not what would you change, if you could to make it do so

3) Why do you think other folks who have joined, have not stayed around?

4) Do you have ideas on what the board either did not provide well, or what might have done to scare them away, without becoming participating members?

5) Do you have ideas or suggestions of new ways to both attract and keep new members, new divers involved, and satisfied with this forum?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 08:30 AM ----------

I will start by adding my own 2 cents.

I discovered SB while researching a dive trip back in '05, and was not a terribly active member for some time. I did though, find the info I was seeking.

I did soon after that did make some friends on the board, as both DeputyDan and Herman offered advice and invited my family to join their group for a trip to Bonaire.

I also later asked for underwater photography advice, and got a lot of help from such diverse members as ScubaSteve and DandyDon, who were more than willing to help a struggling novice.

I had a few conflicts in some of the threads along the way, especially early on, with some of the more vocal know it alls, but while that slowed me down a bit and kept me quiet, it did not scare me off. I just spent more time lurking till I became more comfortable standing up for my beliefs, and not afraid of the loud mouths. It just took me time to realize by lurking that they were a small minority, and not particularly as well respected universally as they might have thought, which made me feel less the outsider.

(Note) I think a lot of that 'know it all' attitude seems to have disappeared from the boards, or at least become far less of an issue. I heard a lot of feedback from non member divers between '95 and about 2000 that this "slamming of 'stupid questions' " was a big turn off, but I do not sense this same complaint from my more recent contactsd, when discussing SB. Now it seems more like SB is not supplying what divers are seeking, and they are just moving on to other sources of info.

I know many folks have moved on to FB, but while I enjoy FB a lot myself, I have never seen it as having the potential to reach as many divers, or to serve as a useful search base for dive related questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've dived with Dan and socialized for a weekend with him. He's actually a very nice guy and loves to dive.

I've dived with Dan and socialized for a weekend with him. He's actually a very nice guy and loves to dive.

So where's the photos of you in long blade fins? :D

Just kidding.

I don't doubt it ... and I hope I didn't imply otherwise.

Compatibility has less to do with personality than common interests, approach and expectations. There are nice people that I shouldn't dive with. I think the same applies to you, Dan, and most people ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Finally Dan, nothing personal ... but I don't think I'd enjoy diving with you in real life. You come across like a seriously judgmental person, and I prefer diving with people who can just relax and have a good time. I don't get hung up on people who wear split fins, or who want to use a pony bottle or an Air II.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, whatever you like Bob....but just as George was nothing like his online persona in real life on a boat...I am not either.
When I dive, it's about fun...and fun with my friends on the boat.... I NEVER get judgemental about gear people on a boat with me are using......and if I did hear someone doing this, it would annoy me. There have been plenty of times that I have been on an easy reef like the Breakers 60 ft reef, that I am with a group, and they will ask me later how the heck I can almost not kick at all, and move more like a Barracuda than a scuba diver....they can't understand it...so I would normally try to make them feel better, and blame it more on gear differences than on their fault....but this again would only happen if they want to ask me about this.

Internet persona is going to be very different for many of us..... I would be interested to see how close or how far you are from yours :)

... I'm a grumpy old man in real life too, Dan ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would guess that if you both met on a dive boat somewhere and had no idea who each other was, you'd get along fine.

I NEVER get judgemental about gear people on a boat with me are using......and if I did hear someone doing this, it would annoy me.

Interesting.

Are you disavowing the essay you wrote when you were in charge of bringing the DIR message to recreational divers, the one that is still circulating in some DIR circles? In that essay you told DIR divers that if circumstances arise in which they are "stuck" diving with with non-DIR divers, they should take the opportunity to show them the superiority of their DIR gear. If that advice is no longer operational, have you let those that are still following that advice know that?

Interesting.

Are you disavowing the essay you wrote when you were in charge of bringing the DIR message to recreational divers, the one that is still circulating in some DIR circles? In that essay you told DIR divers that if circumstances arise in which they are "stuck" diving with with non-DIR divers, they should take the opportunity to show them the superiority of their DIR gear. If that advice is no longer operational, have you let those that are still following that advice know that?

You must be talking about this ( from SFDJ) thought you should pull up the page, because just the last part by itself is out of context :

And of course, keep in mind an even bigger rule than all others mentioned in this article--Rule number one is don't dive with unsafe divers. Try to dive only with people you know are safe, and who dive the same procedures and configurations you do. If you are "stuck" with someone you see gearing up badly, with a poor configuration, try a good natured explanation of why the "Doing it Right" system would have him/her configured differently. Perhaps you can get them safer on this dive. You can always look around on a boat for someone who seems closer to your gear and diving mind set, and try to buddy up with them. Remember, if you don't bring a good dive buddy with you, you have no sure way of knowing you have redundancy. You may decide that the more extreme 120 foot dive you were planning to make is not appropriate without a good buddy, and so you may opt for a different site for your first dive. Use a first dive to check out your buddy, and let them check you out, before you dive with them on that more extreme dive site you are still looking forward to. At least in Florida, most boats will have multiple dive sites you can choose from, so you should be able to pick two dives with your new buddy where you can limit the risk by choice of dive site. And once you find a good buddy you can trust, treat them well--someday your life may depend on them.

So as you know Bob, when I write internet articles, I am trying to help divers that are trying to get better, or trying for bigger adventures.
There are plenty of people you can see getting on dive boats, with tanks hanging half off their back, a computer console dragging on the deck behind them as they walk to the platform--and the list goes on...And I am saying to these divers reading my article, that they should avoid them --as they are new divers themselves, trying to become better and safer, and to then do BIGGER DIVES....the bad divers mentioned, would not bother me to dive with....If I though a tank was about to fall off--I would let them know this before they got in the water....but I don't have to worry about who I buddy with on a recreational profile..not to mention I will usually have Sandra and Bill Mee with me, so if we add a really bad buddy, they get all 3 of us to help if needed :)

I swear Bob, you are trying as hard as you can to take things out of context.....On one hand, you say this is not a "feud" to you....but to hear your points and the way you bring up the distant past, and out of context as well....I could easily get the wrong idea.....

Not to worry though...I almost enjoy this :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom