Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makes no difference actually. Based on trying it. The key is a properly set OPV. OTS lungs actually tend to hold you face up far better when fully inflated.

Yes they may hold your face up, but I would think the pressure pushing against you would be stronger, since they tend to be longer, thus deeper in the water, ending up with more pressure on them to evacuate the air, where most BMCLs I have seen tend to sit higher on the back... meaning less atmospheric pressure pushing against them.

Again though, I'm thinking we shouldn't derail the A&I thread and we are venturing off topic.

To keep things related to the original purpose of this post, based on what was presented here earlier, it seems likely that IF he had a modified revo without the chin strap, and surfaced where the buoyancy of the CLs was needed to keep him afloat, then lost his mouthpiece during a LOC, he would have been unable to stay at the surface.

It's a bit of a thread drift... But: I support the "BOV for Me, a long hose for Thee" system where I'm plumbed into my bailout bottle with a second medium length hose second stage to a regulator bungeed on that bottle like a stage bottle rig. That way you have something to hand off to Joe-Numpty quickly (try that with your necklaced second stage) and have 2X ways of bailing yourself. With a caustic cocktail you'll want to spit out what's in your mouth and grab the long hose. For any other bailout you use the BOV.

Your necklace system works, but if you use it ALSO put a hosed second stage on your bailout bottle to hand off.

That sounds like a good idea...

My bailout has 2 regs on it, my BOV is on my dil. I dive mostly with OC buddies so need a way to donate and still have something for me to grab. That 3L dil goes fast when the excrement interfaces with the ventilator.

What I learnt from this A&I case, CCR & deep diving (> my EAN32 MOD) are not for me. I'll stick with the simple OC, warm water recreational diving. There is nothing interest me in the dark cold bottom.

What I learnt from this A&I case, CCR & deep diving (> my EAN32 MOD) is not for me. I'll stick with the simple OC, warm water recreational diving. There is nothing interest me in the dark cold bottom.
I've been eyeing rebreathers for a few years now. I definitely pay attention to accidents and incidents involving the machines despite not being an RB diver. I'm leaning more and more towards just not doing RB, unless I get into helium someday.

I've been eyeing rebreathers for a few years now. I definitely pay attention to accidents and incidents involving the machines despite not being an RB diver. I'm leaning more and more towards just not doing RB, unless I get into helium someday.

Do a RB Try Dive (they show you the setup, let you open it up, and do a dive) - best $75 bucks I ever spent (your area may be different) - and I guarantee you will change your mind on the RB with or without helium - if you have the money and like to dive, it is like learning to dive all over again. The thrill and fun of being stealth and knowing you can stay down for hours... :)

I know that many consider BOVs to absolutely necessary, but I have been on two dives with CCR buddies who lost a mouthpiece, and I really like having a good old second stage under my chin, completely redundant.

Why not both?

Good call.

Diving a rebreather safely is based on several things that aren't always true:

1: use good gear. Not every rebreather is a good one.

2: get good instruction. It should be obvious that this wasn't the case here.

3: maintain proficiency. Proficiency isn't obtained, it's maintained with practice and recency of experience.

4: be self aware. Not everyone has the innate ability to manage a rebreather when things go pear shaped. If you don't do well in life generally with situational awareness and management of technology then don't buy a rebreather.

Do a RB Try Dive (they show you the setup, let you open it up, and do a dive) - best $75 bucks I ever spent (your area may be different) - and I guarantee you will change your mind on the RB with or without helium - if you have the money and like to dive, it is like learning to dive all over again. The thrill and fun of being stealth and knowing you can stay down for hours... :)

My son and I did the CCR experience at Divetech on Grand Cayman when they were still at Cobalt Coast. We had a blast. I was neutrally buoyant about one third of the time, OC habits are hard to break. I have been tempted by RBs ever since. I'm not sure Divetech still offers this great experience. We paid considerably more that $75 for this half day activity. This experience sensitized me to the complexities and care needed to dive with a rebreather.

Addendum: Divetech still runs the rebreather experience upon request. They run it with the Poseidon MK7 and the half day activity costs $150

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom