Fin kicks explained?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSJ

Reaction score
Is there a good reference that explains the various finning techniques :confused: I would like a description, including pictures if possible, as I have no idea how a reverse kick might be done.

I ordered the DIR-F book thinking it might be in there based upon the excellent DIR-F course report posted earlier, but the website lacked a table of contents so I don't know, and it won't ship for another week with a ten day delivery on top of that. I'd like to spend some pool time before my Bonaire trip practicing.

I can probably ask a dive instructor, but I like to have something to read to.

It's been a while since I read the book but I don't remember seeing the various kicks described. Some of the books that do describe them are the NACD text "The Art of Safe Cave Diving", the NSS-CDS text (don't remember the title) and the IANTD technical diving encyclopedia.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
The links dont work no more............:(
Did you try the ones to the right of the page? They worked for me...

Wow, that was prompt...

The links worked for me. Now I know what the "Helicopter" turn is. The video is great, but a written explanation of what you are attempting to do would really help as well. Is it in the book?

DSJ once bubbled...
Wow, that was prompt...

The links worked for me. Now I know what the "Helicopter" turn is. The video is great, but a written explanation of what you are attempting to do would really help as well. Is it in the book?
Like Mike said, I don't think those type of instructions are in the book. You would probably have to either take a DIRF or get in the water with someone who knows how to do them to show you how the mechanics work. For a helicopter, you are basically doing the backwards kick you saw in the video with one foot, and the frog kick you saw in the video with the other foot. Once you get backwards kicks, helicopters are easy..

I'll watch the videos and practice the motion on dry land to figure it out, then try it in the pool. Unfortunately the LDS doesn't allow black rubber fins in their pool so I can't use my trusty Jet Fins. I see from the video's why floppy fins wouldn't work well.

...and actually how a DIRF would go before you even hit the water. You practice the kicks on dry land with the instructors watching and they help you to get the right idea to start that muscle memory building. What I would do is start with a basic frog kick. Once you have that, move onto modified frogs and modified flutters. Tackle backwards and helicopters last...when you have plenty of patience built up :wink:

... the backwards kick is the Frog kick in reverse, pulling instead of pushing.

The difference between the basic and modified Frog appears to be the use of the upper leg, with only the calves moving for the modified version. Is that is intended to handle restrictions rather than be a basic kick? It seems as though it works the smaller muscles more and would exhaust them sooner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom