Fin kicks explained?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSJ once bubbled...
... the backwards kick is the Frog kick in reverse, pulling instead of pushing.

This is what I thought prior to taking DIRF... I got corrected.. its actually using the side of the fin, not the bottom or top. Just slicing through the water sideways. There is not much surface area obvioulsy so this is a "slow" mode of transport. I cant think of how to explain this w/o showing it. But if you watch the video closely and think of using the side of the fin, ya might get the idea. It takes lots of practice, and unless you've got it down pat you may find it take a couple strokes to even start moving.

It originally appeared as though the ankle was tilted a bit to get a little use from the top of the fin, but I can see now where the motion is primarily using the side.

It makes more sense now, and your comment about it being a slow kick helps. It looks to be very usefull if I find myself drifting too close to the coral or some other object I don't want to push off of.

It originally appeared as though the ankle was tilted a bit to get a little use from the top of the fin, but I can see now where the motion is primarily using the side.
To try to use as much of the blade as I can. I find it works great with s-drills when you initially approach the diver with your primary out for donation. One hard backwards kick stops your forward momentum and you can use it to keep your distance uniform throughout the drill. This kick has a ton of uses...I use it all the time when DMing classes, choosing instead to hover at platform level to do skills, etc. rather than kneel on the platform. If I had an underwater camera, I bet I would use it even more...

Well, if you use a bit of top fin by canting the ankles the backwards kick does begin to approximate a "negative" frog kick. As the muscles used are not major groups normally used for power in locomotion I can see why it is slow and awkward at first.

Thanks for the link with additional fining explanations EBdiver.

All this raises a question in my mind. Why don't I see a specialty class in finning techniques by the major dive agencies? Do they include them within the various other classes? I only recall getting instruction on the basic flutter kick in my BOW, and really wouldn't expect to have half a dozen tossed at me right then. I would however expect to be introduced to them shortly after.

I'm going back for the second session of my bouyancy class tonight, and I'm going to ask the instructor about this.

I teach all these kicks in my OW class. I teach them in the Peak Performance Buoyancy classs. For students who were originally trained somewhere else I teach them in any class. My student do not blow out the vis. they do not swim at a 45 deg angle.

I find it frustrating beyond description that a diver needs a DIRF to learn to use their feet, get balanced and trim, hover and know where their buddy is and how they are doing.

I took my BOW fourteen years ago and have been out of diving for the last dozen years but for one refresher five years ago. I may have been taught more than the one basic kick, but I know I didn't get comprehensive training in all the myriad techniques. Things may have changed for the better in the intervening years.

How about it? Anyone who's had their BOW recently and can comment on the degree of training in the different kicks.

I think it's great that you cover them in BOW, Mike. I would have appreciated an introduction, even if I hadn't the chance to completely master them.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I find it frustrating beyond description that a diver needs a DIRF to learn to use their feet, get balanced and trim, hover and know where their buddy is and how they are doing.
I’m not sure how to take this statement, it’s either:

1) I’m frustrated that you have to take a DIRF course to learn [good skills]

Or:

2) I’m frustrated that people have to take follow on education, like a DIRF class to learn [good skills]

If the former, I disagree. Any good teacher can teach good skills (as it appears you do).

If the latter I can’t agree more.

Roak

roakey,
I think you got the idea.
I had a student in the shop last night for about two hours telling me about his weekend. Over the weekend he finished his class with my only other (and new) instructor. This student had done pre-entry level classes all over the world and almost finished a class once (he is very busy). The point is he has actually done a fair amount of diving without being certified.

He reported that he still felt a bit awkward in reverse. No suprise but he'll get it.

He exclaimed that while horizantal and using a modified frog that he effortlessly flew by others who swam at a 45 deg angle and swung their feet in great flutter kicks leaving a cloud in their wake. He also commented that he was a foot or so off the bottom but he could look back between his legs and see that it was undisturbed behind him.

He told many stories of other divers, including some he thought were instructors, plowing through the bottom and destroying vis.
He told of the strange antics of divers trying to do a safety stop while he and my staff hovered at 15 ft.

Now here is the sad part. He also said he never seen anyone dive the way we do. He was completly amazed with it compared to what he had been exposed to preveously. Good technique is not rocket science. A few hours practice and one is well on their way.

All those divers that my OW students complain about don't know there is anything wrong. How is it that simple things like some amtisilting techniques are kept such a secret? You would think divers would stunble on them by accident.

It appears as though too many BOW classes are graduating people without supplying them with the appropriate skills and mindset. From the stories I read here, a number of these folks have become instructors.

If flight instruction followed the same path I would be flying out of trim and full rich with no clue. Is there an equivalent to the flight test standards for diving? I need something to review to see what I missed out on.

Something like: Applicant must demostrate bouyancy control remaining three feet from the bottom +/- one foot. Applicant must describe the following fining techniques and when their use is appropriate. Candidate will demonstrate mastery by...

I know that flying is more demanding than basic recreational diving, but it seems to me that a fair number of agencies/instructors are doing a disservice to their students by not insisting on a complete education.

Back
Top Bottom