Fin Overview Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can someone tell me what each of the main types of fins are designed for...split fin, jet fin, solid fin, etc?

I have a plain old large solid plastic fin. I'm thinking that for swimming in current a slotted fin would be easier and more efficient.

I use a modified frog kick for most swimming except for the occassional mad dash against the current. What I have works ok control wise for everything except current.

I don't think split fins are for me so I guess I'n more interested in the design goal differences between the solid plastic fin and the slotted fin.

Anyone?
Gray

to part you from your money until the next gimmick comes around

<<Can someone tell me what each of the main types of fins are designed for...split fin, jet fin, solid fin, etc?>>

Do you do much diving Joe?

Regardless, I rather have a straight forward answer. I'm not a clueless novice which was the type of answer that I got.

gcbryan:
Regardless, I rather have a straight forward answer. I'm not a clueless novice which was the type of answer that I got.

I would classify that as more of a "tongue-in-cheek cynical humour" sort of answer, not something intended as a personal offence.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get more responses about different fin types. Everyone's got their favorites.

Jim Grier's Fin Tests

Here's a link to more information about fins, including independent test data, than you can choke down with a six-pack. If this isn't enough, pick up any dive magazine published in the last 30 years and you'll find something about fins in it - they're big business.

I though Joe gave you a pretty straightforward answer, although it might not have been the one you wanted to hear. Relax, it's February. We're all getting a little cranky waiting for the water to warm up a tad.

reefraff:
I though Joe gave you a pretty straightforward answer, although it might not have been the one you wanted to hear. Relax, it's February. We're all getting a little cranky waiting for the water to warm up a tad.

Unfortunately sometimes I think there is more truth than humor in that comment.

Why wait? I was in yesterday, it was a little chilly but a nice dive. :D

gcbryan:
Then you should put more in your bio.

Fins are highly personal and have alot to do with what type of kicks you use, what type of diving you do, etc. The best way to figure it out is to borrow/rent some of different types. Or review one of the *numerous* articles. However, the articles don't always match up a fin to your personal preferences all that well...

glbirch:
Why wait? I was in yesterday, it was a little chilly but a nice dive. :D

34F at depth on Saturday. Makes you question your sanity after an hour or so, doesn't it? It might be better to wait till Spring, but it never warms up much more than that at sub-recreational depths, so why not go now before the overheating on the surface season begins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom