Finally got a bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bazzathemammoth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’ve got a few dives now on my secondhand halcyon bp/w I picked up the other day. I have to admit that it was a good as I was hoping. With my semi dry and my heavy old school steel tank I don’t need any additional weight, and horizontal trim was almost effortless (I’m still a touch leg heavy).

Why didn’t anyone on scuba board tell me about how good these are?

You must be new around these parts.
Yea, still wet behind the ears compared to some of you old timers.

To be honest it felt like home pretty quickly when I saw how much you all hated split fins though.

I remember the first time I saw them I thought “what the hell is this retarded s!:$”.

Why didn’t anyone on scuba board tell me about how good these are?
It's a secret, and we are a bunch of selfish jerks who don't like steering people in the right direction.

You may consider Deep 6 Eddy fins though for fairly neutral fins. What fins are you using now?

It's a secret, and we are a bunch of selfish jerks who don't like steering people in the right direction.

You may consider Deep 6 Eddy fins though for fairly neutral fins. What fins are you using now?
Cool thanks. I’m using some fiberglass spearfishing fins (think stiffer and slightly shorter than free diving fins). Fins and tech shorts are my next bits of gear on my wishlist.

Getting shorter fins and sorting out how to use them is next on my skills progression. Most of my diving is in the open ocean and I like having the power to move against currents and cover lots of ground when needed. My long fins are not the best at back kicking for some reason though, and I’d like to do more wreck diving in future without feeling like a bull in a China shop.

I’m using some fiberglass spearfishing fins.
Not something I can advise really, other than take the fins into the water and see if they float or sink. Now you are in NZ, so Deep 6 fins may be harder to come by. Some people have better luck than me with the ScubaPro Go Fins. I "think" that they are slightly positive in saltwater, but cannot say for certain. Whatever you get, it sounds like it should be slightly positive in salt water. Test it out.
Most of my diving is in the open ocean and I like having the power to move against currents and cover lots of ground when needed.
DPV? Work smarter, not harder! :wink:

DPV? You mean work expensive-erer. I’ll just tell my wife that I need to buy even more dive gear, I’m sure she will understand that the kids don’t need to eat for the next few months.
Well, people think my wife and I had only 1 child. The truth is, we sold one to science to fund my rebreather.

You have to get your priorities straight there, mate.

Not something I can advise really, other than take the fins into the water and see if they float or sink. Now you are in NZ, so Deep 6 fins may be harder to come by.
OMS Slipstreams are similar, if you don't need to larger food pocket of the Deep 6 Eddy fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom