Finclip Vs Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those look great if you're frequently back rolling off of a panga or rib.

If you're getting in line at the gate, or shore diving, not so much.

I use Spring straps already but I looked at these yesterday.

They appear easy to get on and off but then I thought about them with a KISS mindset - the 'shoehorn' coming up behind your heel would make a great hook to snag monofilament or kelp and potentially cause entanglement.

the 'shoehorn' coming up behind your heel would make a great hook to snag monofilament or kelp and potentially cause entanglement.
I thought about that (before I pledged). That is a possible problem, but not any more so-I would think-than entanglement by the handle on the bungee straps of my current fins (Mares Avanti Quattro +). And the handles project farther out, while the "shoehorn" is flush to the back of the ankle. Also, if the shoehorn gets snagged, the likely scenario is that it would release the fin strap-which would make freeing yourself from the entanglement easier.

Last edited:
I've been using bungees for several years. I've never lost a fin since I began using them and find them to be much easier to use than any spring straps I've had before. If anyone would like to donate funds to help me start my bungee fin business I take Paypal, VISA or cash. :)
DSCF2972.jpg

Bungee_strap.jpg

90400_1.jpg

Bungees. Interesting, honestly never heard of it or seen it. I've used springs for years. Anything that requires any type buckling not for me, especially in very cold water and 3 fingered mitts.

That's why I prefer the bungees over springs. They hold the fins on securely but are easier to slide a finger underneath to remove the fin even in a rough sea. They also only cost about a quarter to replace every few years.

[QUO
I thought about that (before I pledged). That is a possible problem, but not any more so-I would think-than entanglement by the handle on the bungee straps of my current fins (Mares Avanti Quattro +). And the handles project farther out, while the "shoehorn" is flush to the back of the ankle. Also, if the shoehorn gets snagged, the likely scenario is that it would release the fin strap-which would make freeing yourself from the entanglement easier.

Besides the additional risk for a snag, I wondered it the clip would put additional pressure on your Achilles or calf. as it extends further than the cord itself.

Who knows what the Finclip will ultimately cost, requires $40 contribution to Kickstarter to "reserve" your 1st pair.

extremetito, you seem extremely supportive, you're not affiliated are you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom