Finclip Vs Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am always a little amazed when I see someone that is very vehement that there is no real reason to change XX (whatever XX is). The argument that YOU have no use for something, and so there is no good reason for it to be introduced to the marketplace, is often very self-centered and short sighted.
An understandable perspective. But, in fairness to some posters who were particularly unenthusiastic, keep in mind that they offered their comments in the context of the questions being asked by the OP:
Stefan Spada:
Do you think I would be better off with this sort of new evolution? . . . Can anyone guide me?
He asked if someone could 'guide' him. He asked for opinions. The unenthusiastic posters gave him exactly what he asked for. You and I don't have to agree with their assessment. Nor, does the OP have to agree. But, he did ask and those that had definite opinions provided them (and didn't even charge for them).

As an instructor, I often buy things that I don't have a personal need for, simply to try them, in case they might represent something that a student might find useful (e.g. a set of Darkfin Webbed Power Gloves, or several, different rubber weight belts). If the Finclips make it to market, and the price is reasonable, I will probably buy a set for that very purpose. But, I see no problem with others expressing a different view, nor do I consider them to be self-centered. They are expressing their opinion of the value, based on their experience, which is all any of us can do.

Last edited:
those that had definite opinions provided them (and didn't even charge for them).
And as we all know, advice on the Internet is worth exactly what you paid for it...

:wink:

@PiumattiPaolo ,

Thank you for joining us here. Just the fact that you've chosen to engage in the conversation says a bunch.

I'm curious if you have non-marketing type videos that show how the clip is donned and doffed (I'm particularly interested in the shore scenarios you mentioned), that show use in a more real life application.

At the moment FINCLIP is only a prototype. It has been tested with good results in different scenarious.
It's very usefull when you have situations of unstability and you have difficulties to keep your balance.
Or simply making your life easier. Look at the evolution that ski bindings had: besides safety reasons, wasn't that for better comfort too?
Well, I don't want to claim that I have the "invention of the year",but looking at the statistics in diving industries, it seems that divers between 45 and 55 immediately followed by 55 and 65 are the ones who make this bussiness running.
Have you ever seen a 55 y.o. diver who doesn't like to make his life easier while is dressing up?

Quite frankly, was really throws me off is how they are being compared to ski bindings. Aren't ski bindings supposed to disconnect when you fall? I would not want my fins to detach if I suddenly found myself in some heavy surf or surge. That would be a bad situation. I'm not saying that your Finclip does that, but I do think you may be alienating potential customers by making this comparison.

I hope that extremetito will post a review in the future.
I certainly will-after I get them, and after I've checked them out on a few dives.
A key issue is whether the project will reach its funding goal on Kickstarter. I hope so. If it works well enough, it will make getting off and back on dive boats easier. Particularly in rough seas.
Am I sold on Finclips to the point of investing money in them pre-production? NO.
Will I buy and try them the minute they are available? You better believe it.
I do not think of crowdfunding pledges as investing, and I don't apply the same decision strategies as for my usual consumer purchases. There is a certain leap of faith involved, as well as a "coolness" factor. It's a way for me to personally support and encourage individuals or small groups of people who are producing/doing/innovating/changing things that appeal to me personally. I didn't think $50 was too much to help Paolo get this thing "off the ground" (or maybe, "into the water"?). And I do want one of them FinClips.

I think it's great that Paolo showed up on Scubaboard.

Last edited:
When the American Historical Diving Society (HDS) was formed in October 1992 my son I and became charter members and I was installed on the forming Board of Directors and as the first and only "Director of Sports Diving for HDS

For ALL of you unfamiliar with the history of diving fins may I suggest that you review the American Historical diving Society (HDS) and my dedicated column "Diving facts from Sam's Almanac''

Issue number 3 'A short history of fins" part 1, pages 25 & 26'
Issue number 4 "A short history of fins" part 2, pages 12 &13
Issue number 4 "A short history of fins" part 3, pages 18 & 19

I suspect that all of you, especially the PADI types and the one who informed me on a recent trip there was absolutely no diving until PADI came along in 1969. will in some way benefit from this historical knowledge of the design and development of diving fins.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday I posted the following elsewhere on this board - It is appropriate that it be posted again

"I assume that is you in the red hat and your father is the mature gentleman in the promotional video .

I began my diving adventures many years ago as a youth during WW11 about 70 or so years ago

My first fins which I purchased via mail order were Owen Churchill fins open heel and non adjustable which I used for about ten or so years.

In the early 1950s Arthur "Bud" Brown created the Duck foot fin also open heel and non adjustable which was the fin of choice for most divers I used for many years

We who were "serious " divers ( what ever that term denotes) used the largest fin available and made adjustments by the addition of copious amounts of foam and/or rubber to the back of the heel strap. After the introduction of the wet suit by Hugh Bradner in 1954 we used wet suit scraps tapped to the heel strap

Even the early dive manuals such as the 1954 LA Co Underwater instruction manual "Underwater Recreation and a few others were against the usage of adjustable fins

Then about ten years later in 1963 at a LA Co Underwater instructors association gathering we were introduced to the adjustable Jet fin by Gus De La Valle. Slowly the adjustable fin was accepted by the at that time small diving community which was concentrated in Southern California.

Fast forward to late 1960s... Bill Walters, LA County UW instructor introduced the BIU as the "At Pac." Once again at the gathering at an LA Co Underwater instructors association . It was radical -it was a deferent concept- buoyancy on the back of a diver ? How radical ! buoyancy had to be in the front - It had to be a vest ! Once again slow acceptance Now 40 years later the standard of the diving community.

Skin Diver magazine did a series of five research programs over 25 years to identify the dive community..at that time the community was young and small as would be expected. What was unexpected was the longevity of the divers. Early in the research it was quite long a the end of the 25 year research the divers longevity was reduced to around three years.

There was a concurrent study by an American doctorial candidate who discovered any new device, technique etc introduced into the diving world required about five years to be accepted aa the standard of the diving community.

And all this occurred long before PADI was established and now PADI has become a norm of the industry.

Hope this is in some way is encouraging to you and your father...that some day Fin Clips will be the standard of the dive community

SDM

Ps need verification of my credentials check my profile or goggle may name + diver
Also, there are two Sam Millers I am # 111 son is #IV and is also involved in diving. Sam IV is a NAUI (Life) PADI instructor, SSI Pro 5000 and a ER & Hyperbaric doctor who is too busy to post sdm "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Piumatti, although there is a very slim chance we will ever met up close and personal you have, in a few days, became a new friend I didn't know I had! My warmest California regards to you and your lovely daughter.

I wish you success in this Fin Clip and all your future projects-

Dr. Samuel Miller,111

Last edited:
For ALL of you unfamiliar with the history of diving fins may I suggest that you review the American Historical diving Society (HDS) and my dedicated column "Diving facts from Sam's Almanac''
Issue number 3 'A short history of fins" part 1, pages 25 & 26'
Issue number 4 "A short history of fins" part 2, pages 12 &13
Issue number 4 "A short history of fins" part 3, pages 18 & 19
I would love to read these items. Unfortunately, when I go to the HDS site, select 'The Journal', and then click on Browse Back Issues, I get an error message: 'BACK ISSUES NOT FOUND'. Is some level of membership required to be able to access the Back Issues, or is the website not functioning properly?
Even the early dive manuals such as the 1954 LA Co Underwater instruction manual "Underwater Recreation and a few others were against the usage of adjustable fins
I am curious - what was the argument against adjustable fins?
I suspect that all of you, especially the PADI types
So, I have to ask: what / who are - from your perspective - 'the PADI types?

Thank you very much Sam Miller. I really hope that one day I will have the chance to meet you personally.
Perhaps for some nice dives together in our beautifull island. You'll be my guest!

With my poor leg flexibility, donning and doffing fins can be problematic. A combination of the rubber fin straps on my Powerplanas and working at it, I've got to the point where I can just manage it.
If these finclips work, they would make it a much more pleasant job. I wonder though how well they would work on the dirt/rocky/muddy bottoms in the quarries and rivers where a lot of my diving takes place.
I'd give them a try for sure

Back
Top Bottom