Fins and leg cramps..any relation? Need help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that an argument could be made that some divers cramp, from keeping their breathing rate and heart rate so low, that they don't drive enough blood through the calf muscles for even the slight workload they are under.....That if they tried to work a bit harder, and breathed a lot more, they may not cramp....But this would be just one subset of people....assumption being that there are several a "different" categories of cramp--some people don;t get any of them, ever.

dmaziuk, You make some good points about competitive swimming and cramps. Though I haven't done that in over 40 years, I can see where pushing off on the turn with your cramped leg may not help. When I used to cramp a lot diving I had to stand up for more than just a second or two to relieve the cramp. While diving, I also could feel the cramp coming on and change my stroke, or be less active with that leg, or other means to keep the muscle(s) from seizing. I think my point about my brother's life-long swimming routine was just about pointing out to others that being in great swimming shape or just in great shape in general doesn't help everyone avoid cramping.
Logic says you are also correct about increased cramping with age. I think that was the case with me before my pill/fin remedy. My mother, however, had cramping in bed for as long as I can recall back to my youth, yet later in life not so bad for her (maybe less active then the reason?). I admit these situations are Greek to me.

Anyway, swimming for exercise has tons of benefits and conditioning one's muscles for fin kicks and improving finning technique are icing on the cake. If only it were as easy as stepping out the door and going for a run...

Smh
There are other significantly BETTER fin options that will provide the same or BETTER pain relief. And those BETTER fin options feel good when kicked AND they look good.

AND of course, it is the advice of non-split fin divers that should be taken. :p

in my post, I stated that splits worked for me, but didn't recommend them. Only suggested that fin type could make a difference. I agree with both opinions on the matter, but (IMO) I sure look good in my split fins!

I have never tried split fins. Maybe I should just to rule it out--we have a pool but now its getting too cold to get in it so its a tough call for LC in December. I love my current fins as they are lightweight and easy on the baggage allowance. My cramps typically start in my feet, spreading my toes wide apart, and sometimes they migrate upward into the calf. Its paralyzing and many many times I can only fin with one leg until its over which seems like an eternity. I do plan on doing a better job working out the legs and taking some supplement before I go, so we will see. Oh, and the water. I have tried the potassium but it didn't seem to work at all. Thanks for all the input, its interesting to read the views and what has worked for everyone!

I didn't wear my splits assisting courses in the pool. Usually got a cramp in my foot instep--painful, but didn't affect mobility at all. It would come on me after a hour or two. Not sure why, as you're not doing a lot of kicking in the pool, just hanging around doing skills. This is the only regular cramping I had since taking the potassium. The mysteries continue.

Since major knee surgery I get cramps in my foot and calf pretty regularly. I also regularly use full foot blade fins in the pool, normally my stiff blade fins in caves and my splits for everything else although it is not uncommon for me to use the splits in caves with my doubles. I find I cramp less often and severely in the splits. I have been told it is due to less stress on the leg and/or because of the foot pocket fitting my foot better. To me it doesn't matter which one is right as long as it works.
I have no trouble doing any kick (except a back kick which because of the knee injury I can't do with anything) with the stiff blades or the splits because I have practiced with them. I don't silt up places and can get as close to the bottom as I anyone else I've seen, closer than most. The biggest thing in learning diving is to go dive. Get what works for you, then practice with it and learn how to use it. There is a lot of options and what works for you is the right answer.

I have never tried split fins. Maybe I should just to rule it out--we have a pool but now its getting too cold to get in it so its a tough call for LC in December. I love my current fins as they are lightweight and easy on the baggage allowance. My cramps typically start in my feet, spreading my toes wide apart, and sometimes they migrate upward into the calf. Its paralyzing and many many times I can only fin with one leg until its over which seems like an eternity. I do plan on doing a better job working out the legs and taking some supplement before I go, so we will see. Oh, and the water. I have tried the potassium but it didn't seem to work at all. Thanks for all the input, its interesting to read the views and what has worked for everyone!

How do your booties fit you and how do they fit in your fin footpockets? I ask because of the way your toes cramp.

Have you always had this kind of cramping with other fins?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom