Fins and leg cramps..any relation? Need help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not criticizing you. As you've pointed out more than once, you won the fins, you dive alone and apparently at the locale where you do the majority of your dives, the vortex isn't harming any living environments. So that takes care of you.

However, the majority of divers looking for fin options due to cramping are not in your same situation. Ergo, for their sake and the sake of the environment they dive in and the sake of others diving with them, do you think it's possible for you to acknowledge that advising them to purchase split fins may not be the best answer for *them*?

Another factor is fin type. Split fins do not stress the leg as much as a traditional paddle or innovative fin. Several divers up here will use their split fins in the cold and different more powerful fins in the tropics.

Admit that I only read through first 2 pages of thread but was surprised I didn't see more comments about split fins. I had more leg pain than anything else (some cramping) until I switched to split fins. So if you can rule out dehydration, maybe it's the type of fins.

There are many on this board that would not approve of, or see anything beneficial in split fins or jacket bcds if God came to earth to scuba dive and was using them. If you find fins that works for you, and they don't give you cramps, use them, and don't worry what others may say or think. If the fins are not the most efficient or powerful, and you can't frog kick worth a damn in them, so what? If you can move comfortably through the water without getting cramps, that is a good thing. Sometimes the best answer to a problem is the simple one sitting right in front of you.

BECAUSE the same can be accomplished WITHOUT resorting to a split fin. There ARE other fin options that will provide a crampy diver with the relief they seek, yet do not create vortex, and CAN be used to frog kick, helicopter, back up, be efficient and even provide a little power now and then.

This being the case, in the absence of having won or been gifted a pair of split fins, WHY would a diver choose them?

(Caps for EMPHASIS not for yelling)

(Oh and in exasperation, heehee)

WHY would a diver choose them?

Jon hall mentioned that they resolved some pain issues. Others may enjoy the way it feels kicking with then. Some may like the way they look. Others may be following the advice or opinions of others.

Etc.

Jon hall mentioned that they resolved some pain issues. Others may enjoy the way it feels kicking with then. Some may like the way they look. Others may be following the advice or opinions of others.

Etc.

Smh
There are other significantly BETTER fin options that will provide the same or BETTER pain relief. And those BETTER fin options feel good when kicked AND they look good.

AND of course, it is the advice of non-split fin divers that should be taken. :p

chillyinC, Your point is well taken, also those who, like me--just happened to run into something that works. Not that I disagree really (because I really don't know for sure), but are you speaking from a lot of experience observing divers with splits that they do in fact kick up more silt/sand, etc.? To be honest, this is the first I've heard of it (though I obviously have heard of all the other negatives). In my observations on those dives where I was with other divers (charters, etc.), I rarely have seen split fins being used. I suppose I have, but it's certainly far from common. Is it possible that the divers you saw creating a mess with splits were just poor divers? I also recall on my solo diving before winning the splits, I would disturb the silt if too close to the bottom with the non-splits I used. Of course, either way, when with others I am careful not to stir things up.

If there are other fins that work just as well for cramp prevention (and this is what the OP is concerned with) and have other benefits (like more power), great--go for it. I didn't even know that splits were good for cramps when I got them. Someone mentioned it to me YEARS later. In fact, in my 4 years of DMing I can't recall anyone in the shop (Instructors, DMs, etc.) discussing fins with regard to cramping. Thus I have no idea what other style/brand of fin would also be good in that regard.
Going back to my first post, I honestly don't even know if the splits eliminated my cramping because as I mentioned, I believe I started the potassium pills about the same time (maybe 6-7 years ago). So one of the two things or both together worked in my case.
Perhaps part of this equation is that I don't think it is very common for people to have such severe cramping as the OP and myself (used to). I've seen the odd student diver (and others) cramping up a bit, but that's usually chalked up to muscles that haven't been used as much before. So the usual remedies discussed here probably work fine for most (better diet, more hydration, regular diving, etc.).

Not relevant, but interesting that I am able to frog kick quite well with the splits but not back kick, though boulderjohn said it is possible.

Last edited:
Yes, it has been my experience that by far and away, split fin divers create vortex. I have memory of only one who did not and he was a pretty decent diver all things considered, despite his very poor fin choice. :wink: But then perhaps they were a Christmas present from his kids?

How many divers are John Adsit, when it comes to backing up in any fin? :p

Yes, it has been my experience that by far and away, split fin divers create vortex. I have memory of only one who did not and he was a pretty decent diver all things considered, despite his very poor fin choice. :wink: But then perhaps they were a Christmas present from his kids?

How many divers are John Adsit, when it comes to backing up in any fin? :p
True enough. Doubt even he could teach this old dog that new kick.

This is so ridiculous. It is the quality of the diver that can make a fin work or not. If you don't agree, just come down to San Antonio and go diving with John Duggan, Duggan Diving, and you will understand what I am talking about. Just like golfers and golf clubs, or tennis players and tennis racquets, etc., it is all about the skill of the user and not the design of the tool. As far as damage to the reef, silting up the dive environment, etc., I have seen far more poor performance from divers wearing paddle fins, and the reason for that is they are crappy divers wearing paddle fins they own or rent. In addition, with the exception of people of this board, most divers would not know a frog, helicopter, or back kick from a karate kick, and could care less.

Back
Top Bottom