Fins and leg cramps..any relation? Need help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol....I just spit tea all over the place. Those words have never been used to describe me. Perfect Physiological Specimen.....old, overweight, out of shape, high blood pressure, frequent kidney stones, bad back, 5 knee surgeries, diet consisting of beer, donuts, steak, coffee, and beer. Perfect physiological specimen...yup, that's me! Can't wait to tell my wife!

I don't know what the difference in coconut milk and coconut water is, but I do know that coconut water worked miracles for me.

Thanks for the laugh, tongue in cheek or not. I'm going to flex in front of the mirror now!

Y'all have a good evening!
Jay

I don't think coconut water has much lipids, but it definitely has sugar. It is a great [post-]workout drink, I like it a lot, but unfortunately my stomach and I disagree on that last bit :(

JamesBon--interesting! I just realized that the last time I had my blood tested in a physical I was Vitamin D insufficient! OMG! Now you have me wondering..... I love my jet fins too--I have never tried split fins but maybe I should.

Although I rarely got cramps while swimming or diving, my calves and feet would cramp severely while I was sleeping. Since I started taking the D3 supplements they have all but disappeared.

If I recall correctly it took about a week or two before I noticed a significant difference. I also concluded recently that I need sunshine too. Last month I spent the entire day riding to the airport, sitting inside the airport, sitting on the plane, and landing way after dark. I spent my first night in Costa Rica walking off my cramps :( I took an extra 2000iu and was fine in a little while :)- One of the great things about it is that it doesn't even cost much. I get a big bottle on eBay for about $12 and it lasts me a few months. My cholesterol medicine, on the other hand...

Mine are the Lightning Jet Fins (lightning bolt through the Scubapro insignia) which are more flexible than the originals. I also have the stiffer originals (which are pretty darned good) but since I got the Lightings I have no interest in getting any other fins.

Last edited:
I said coconut milk when Jay was talking about coconut water, whoops! Coconut milk will contain sugar and some oil while coconut water contains pretty much only sugar. The sugar is certainly still helpful. A vitamin D deficiency in and of itself will not affect muscle performance much. What vit D, does is help you absorb calcium from your diet. So low vit D, can mean low calcium levels. This is why calcium supplements often contain vitamin D as well. Low calcium levels can hinder muscle performance, and result in pain or cramping.

I still stand by my original assertion, Jay is the perfect physiological specimen!

Please do not resort to split fins when there are other fin options.

Split fins create a vortex which disturbs the vicinity as you move through the water. This is especially bad if you're near the bottom.

Try the D3, calcium, Coenzyme Q10 supplements, prooer hydration first, please, before making such a mistake as moving to a split fin.

Some numbers I found:

prune juice, 8 oz.: 710 mg potassium
carrot juice, 8 oz.: 689 mg potassium
coconut water, 8 oz.: 600 mg potassium
tomato juice, 8 oz.: 556 mg potassium
orange juice, 8 oz.: 496 mg potassium
typical banana: 422 mg potassium

Of course, as others have pointed out, calcium, vitamin D, and probably other nutrients (magnesium? water/hydration? carbohydrates/energy?) play a role in muscle function.

As I have mentioned, despite my doctor's blessing to try a nutritional route, none of it solved my calf cramp problem. What finally worked was just diving more and/or more focused leg exercises at the gym.

Some numbers I found:

Of course, as others have pointed out, calcium, vitamin D, and probably other nutrients (magnesium? water/hydration? carbohydrates/energy?) play a role in muscle function.

As I have mentioned, despite my doctor's blessing to try a nutritional route, none of it solved my calf cramp problem. What finally worked was just diving more and/or more focused leg exercises at the gym.

Best not be in a drysuit as that stuff will fly right out your butt!

Some numbers I found:

I read many years ago that divers tend to be deficient in potassium. Long before I heard that one of my favorite beach dive spots had a fruit and vegetable stand right across the street. After my dives I would go and buy a bunch of bananas and eat five or six of them. Perhaps my body was telling me something. Considering that our bodies weren't really meant to be doing such things as breathing nitrogen under pressure I suppose we should expect some kinds of effects. In any case I probably was not deficient in potassium, at least not for long :wink:

Fortunately, according to my blood tests, I am not lacking in calcium and I'm grateful for this. The first time I tried to swallow one of those humongous calcium tablets I nearly choked to death. So then I tried orange juice with calcium and decided I rather be deficient.

I heartily agree with Lorenzoid and Shotmaster concerning exercise. I ride my bike about 30 minutes 3-4 times a week and swim 50-60 laps in my pool almost every day. I also swim with my fins in the pool fairly regularly. Additonally, I walk my neighbor's dog about one mile every evening. Somewhere in your neighborhood there is a dog that needs to be taken for a walk.

Last edited:
Please do not resort to split fins when there are other fin options.

Split fins create a vortex which disturbs the vicinity as you move through the water. This is especially bad if you're near the bottom.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
REPLY:
Yes, I know-can't honestly say if they're worse that way than the fins I used previously. I dive more than 95% solo most of the time so who cares? And the cramps are gone, so for MY safety, I care. There may be other fins that work as well for cramps. Not to be snarky, but send me the money and I'll buy them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom