Fins for a hard kicker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobaltbabe

Diva of the Deep
Reaction score
Hey kids,
I am a very hard kicker even when I try not to. I am looking for a pair of fins that will first off slow me down and secondly give me the control that I need. Does anyone have any suggestions.

cobaltbabe:
Hey kids,
I am a very hard kicker even when I try not to. I am looking for a pair of fins that will first off slow me down and secondly give me the control that I need. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I tend to have strong legs and use the Dacor Tiger fins...I've recently been advised to go to Scubapro splits...

But, I am interested in hearing the responses, since I'm reluctent to spend $195 without some extra benefit...

Marie it is not just the fins... it is the way that you use them. I would suggest that you learn some alternatives to the flutter kick such as the modified frog and modified flutter kicks. Paddle fins will give you more *traction* in the water and provide for more control, especially with the modified frog kick.

If you go to Scuba pro splits keep in mind the colors of the fins dictate how hard the rubber is and accordingly the kick dificulty. i believe the black fins are the stiffest.

Marie.. there's nothing wrong with kicking hard! :) Just try to reduce the number of kick cycles you do! :) You'll slow down, and reduce air consumption! :) SP Jets would give you all the control you need! :)

Have to agree with Uncle Pug, try a couple of different kick styles you'll be gliding along, the split fins don't work at all well with a hard kick they work only with slow even ******s, the modified frog kick is a nice comfortable kick and it sets your body in a good trim position to boot.

ps substitute ******s with kicks, I guess you can't say ****** on SB<g>

I have tried to slow my kicks but I am still motoring past everyone. I thought about the split fins but in a current they are not going to help at all. I think I will try some new kicks and then go from there. It was suggested that I try a modified kick from one of the dive shops in Toronto as well as Uncle Pug. I will try that. I have a hard time with the frog kick. I will hopefully be taking some courses this summer to work on everything. Thank you for all your input folks.

here's my post from another thread:

you can get a pair of Mares Avanti Quattros for under $80.00 on line. they are
good, solid, speedy fins, and i love using them.

you can then use the money you save to buy a pair of spring fin straps (for about $50.00 on line) to replace those icky plastic buckle things.

so for less than $140.00 you can have what i consider to be the best fin for your money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom