Fins for a hard kicker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got used Avanti quattroa on ebay for $35. Reason these fins are good to buy used is that they can take a lot of punishment and still maintain their good shape.I think you'll get a good deal on ebay for quattros

Pearce has sworn by them for the past 8 years.

However, you have to be fairly tall to use them because they are NOT short fins (I could never get my leg up high enough to be able to step over the gunwhale on some of the local Toby boats, so I switched to other fins).

They are also fairly heavy fins.

Again, the above are not necessarily BAD things... but they ARE relevant.

Quattros are great fins. Problem is that she wants something to minimize the problem of leaving her buddies in the dust, not make it worse :)

I would recommend Scubapro Jets for several reasons; one, they're heavy and are not the sort of fin that makes one want to kick like mad. Secondly, regardless of what some may claim, the big advantage to Jets is control, not power. The blades are too small to provide a lot of power but they're stiff enough to provide a burst of speed if needed for short distances. Finally, they're simple, easily available, reasonably priced and they last forever.

WW

I have applied for the Canadian olympic team and they are strongly considering me!!! NOT

I was told that soft fins would be good. I don't know. I think trying them all out for myself is the best bet. I also don't want to get leg craps (I don't drink milk) from over excerting myself. I will take all your suggestions into consideration. Thank you again.

cobaltbabe:
I have applied for the Canadian olympic team and they are strongly considering me!!! NOT

Oh heck.. I say we just put a rope on her & just hang on for the ride. :wink:

Kidding! Hey... what are you going to do with that speargun??? :eek:

Try shaving an inch off your fins after each dive where you outswam your buddy. Soon you'll be just as slow as the rest of us!

Wish I had your problem ...
-Klaus

cobaltbabe:
I have tried to slow my kicks but I am still motoring past everyone. [...] Thank you for all your input folks.

If you are a hard kicker I would recomend somthing that is going to maximize your power yet decrease your effort/air consumption. Bio Fins (blue or black) might be a good match. My Wife uses them and she is a really stong kicker. I've been back to my Jets lately and she's always right next to me. She says she doesn't even know they're on her feet.

I should also say that if you want to "feel" your kicking power go with The Bio Fin XT's or The original Atomics Split Fins.

cobaltbabe:
I thought about the split fins but in a current they are not going to help at all.

Don't discount the splits in a swift current. I just used a pair of the scuba pro twin jets in a strong current and was making significant headway without a lot of effort. I had my lowest air consumption ever, and in a strong current, my dive instructor was impressed with me, so I think I have to give some credit to the fins.

jjgibo:
Don't discount the splits in a swift current. I just used a pair of the scuba pro twin jets in a strong current and was making significant headway without a lot of effort. I had my lowest air consumption ever, and in a strong current, my dive instructor was impressed with me, so I think I have to give some credit to the fins.

I would like to get split fins for my trip to Cozumel---I have a strong kick---but concerned about Swift current and split fins.
I heard the split fin is easier on ankles too.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom