Fins for damaged knee (Spilt ?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have lost a large portion of my knee, and have a large steel insert.
I find that when I fin against a current each fin stoke results in a large clunk from my knee ... so considering changing my fins.
Not for increased speed but for decreased stress on knee joint.

For years I have used what are (in Europe at leas ) the benchmark fin .... open heel MARES Avanti Quattro, worn with dive boots.

On dive trips often hear that 'changed to split fins, never looked back' ... 'so much easier' ... Be interested in comments (good or bad) on Split Fin choice.
Googled some of the reviews ... and not prepared to pay astronomic prices, but see the following as the considerations ... in increasing cost order:

MARES Raptro
Scubapro Twin Jet Max
Scubapro Seawing Nova
Apollo Bio-Fins
Atomic Aquatic High Energy

Last edited:
Get a pair of Force Fin Pros... you'll never look back. Don't buy anything else until you've tried the Force Fins.

They are going to be out of my price range unfortunately.

I used to use MARES Avanti Quattro, but I wasn't a fan of it. I purchased a pair of Apollo Bio Fins, and really loved it for a split fin. Much easier on my knees, although my knees are fine. Most of my dives now I use jet fins, but for a split fin, I still like the Bio-Fins.

Have you had your knee checked? It sounds to me like you may have some loosening of the hardware. It sounds like you have a partial or full knee replacement?

Have you had your knee checked? It sounds to me like you may have some loosening of the hardware. It sounds like you have a partial or full knee replacement?

I'm not a doctor and don't play on one TV, but I'm pretty sure your knee shouldn't make a clunking noise. In fact there have been recalls on some knees, and noise was one of the symptoms.

If you know what kind of replacement you had (manufacturer) you can check on recall notices, however in any case, you should see a doctor.

flots

OK .. I'll keep a lookout ... but £200 new is way too much for me.

---------- Post added October 28th, 2013 at 09:29 AM ----------

I have had 5 operations on my knee ... 4 were cartilage ops over 15 yr period and then investigation showed bone on bone wear had worn away significant bone off the end of the femur, and my leg was now 27mm out of line. I had a load of MRI scans and a stainless steel insert was carved by laser to make up what is lost and realign the leg.

By rights I should have knee replaced but as only lateral side of joint affected they went 'insert route' .... plus I do watersking, wakeborading, hydrofoiling etc., and those would be impacted by a false knee.
As you show "Dr Tracy" ... if you want the details they are here ....Conformis iForma post-op (in UK)

You should try the twin jet max. My dad uses them n loves them :)

JDAWG97

I'm not a doctor and don't play on one TV, but I'm pretty sure your knee shouldn't make a clunking noise. In fact there have been recalls on some knees, and noise was one of the symptoms.

If you know what kind of replacement you had (manufacturer) you can check on recall notices, however in any case, you should see a doctor.

flots

Didn't have a replacement knee .... had an iForma interpositional device .... my guess is it clunks due to instability in the knee, cruciates not keeping everything tight under load. I do have grade 4 OA on knee (highest rating)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom